World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Looking for a third site to make a connection

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 11 Jul 2019 15:47 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
I came to think of Fish farming:

Better to call it "Aquaculture??? (as used also in the Budj Bim documents)

Nan Madol AB Eval "Other islets were used for functional activities including ............., clam aquaculture, ........, moray eel raising, food storage and preparation, sacrificial turtle husbandry"

Have failed so far to find any mention in China where it was a significant means of food provision - but neither West Lake UNESCO info nor Liangzhou AB (we are missing its Nom file at the moment) mention it - although it is mentioned in other sources for them. It would seem that we should limit it to mention in either Nomination File or AB evaluation?.

Author elsslots
Admin
#47 | Posted: 11 Jul 2019 23:52 
Thanks! I have limited it to AB evaluation

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 12 Jul 2019 01:33 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
Thanks! I have limited it to AB evaluation

Re Aquaculture.
A slight problem with the definition is that Aquaculture can be cited in the AB review (as well presumably as in the Nom File) as a PROBLEM rather than as an "attribute"!!
e.g Palau Rock Islands.
IUCN review "Expansion of aquaculture activities poses a potential threat to the property. A farm culturing milkfish for commercial purposes is located near the boundary within the nominated property It is recommended that existing aquaculture will be managed and monitored under strict control, and that additional aquaculture installations aren't allowed within the nominated property and highly restricted in the vicinity of the property."
So - does this "qualify" Rock Islands for the Connection or not?
You have the choice
a, Include any site containing an Aquaculture mention in its AB review - whether this is positive to the site or not (but of course providing also that it refers to a location inside the core boundaries)
b. Limit the Connection to those sites where the Aquaculture is an aspect of the reasons FOR inscription (traditional practices/structures etc). This is clearly the case for Budj Bim and Nan Madol - in the case of Hortobagy I guess the "artificial fish ponds" developed from 1914 onwards could be taken as another example of the "its traditional use over more than two millennia (which).. represents the harmonious interaction between human beings and nature." - there certainly wasn't any criticism of it or suggestion that it needed to be curtailed. In a few years or so we can expect Trebon to appear on the list - and in its case they are clearly an aspect of its value!

Either could be valid - we have many connections on matters which are not positive for the site ("endangered by...." etc)- this would just be a bit unusual in containing both positive and negative. reasons but it would tell us something about the site and its place within the entire List - which is a reason for identifying "Connections" of course!

Author elsslots
Admin
#49 | Posted: 12 Jul 2019 05:48 
I meant B. Rock islands example for A is outside of core zone. Another connection, 'Threatened by aquaculture', could become a future possibility.
For B I also considered adding "part of its OUV", which is certainly the case for Hortobagy but not literally described as such.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 12 Jul 2019 06:11 
elsslots:
Rock islands example for A is outside

Agree with decision but I don't think it is "outside core zone"! Or at least the " English " doesn't say so -"is located near the boundary within the nominated property"!

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Looking for a third site to make a connection

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑