World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Looking for a third site to make a connection

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author Assif
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 13 Dec 2014 14:52 
Another problem is that Ticino was not Swiss at that time.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#32 | Posted: 13 Dec 2014 19:02 
Assif:
Another problem is that Ticino was not Swiss at that time.

"Domenico Trezzini (c. 1670 – 1734) was a Swiss Italian architect who elaborated the Petrine Baroque style of Russian architecture. Domenico was born in Astano, near Lugano, in the Italian-speaking Ticino (at that time a condominium of the Old Swiss Confederacy)". (Wiki)

I am not an expert on the nature of the "Condominium" referred to but Lugano seems to have been annexed in 1512

And the Swiss certainly claim him!!

If we don't count persons from the Ticino because, at the time it was only a "Condominium" of the Swiss Confederacy then does that not potentially call into question many of the other "owned by... " E.g Anything owned by a person from the states which became part of Germany prior to 1871. There is certainly potential for logical inconsistency here - for instance Jefferson is counted as British rather than American - so we seem to be using the citizenship of the individual AT THE TIME he/she owned property outside what are the current day boundaries of the country of which he/she was a citizen.

Author Assif
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 14 Dec 2014 05:09 
Point taken.

Author elsslots
Admin
#34 | Posted: 17 Mar 2015 13:36 
"Difficult"

Bwindi Impenetrable National Park - Impenetrable
Gough and Inaccessible Islands - Inaccessible
A third ?

Author elsslots
Admin
#35 | Posted: 19 Jul 2016 03:29 
Red Sea

I just enthousiastically started this connection, including Jeddah and Sanganeb. But I can't find a third one. Zabid is outside of the 10km radius that we have used for other seas. Anyone?

Author Durian
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 19 Jul 2016 04:16 | Edited by: Durian 
Belo Horizonte Hot Spot ?

1 Ouro Proto
2 Congonhas
3 Pampulha
4(?) is it possible to visit Diamantina as a day trip from Belo Horizonte?

Author Durian
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 19 Jul 2016 04:22 | Edited by: Durian 
Tokyo Hot Spot 5 or 6 ?

1 Fujisan
2 Tomioka
3 Nikko
4 Le Corbusier
5 Meiji Site in Mishima
6(?) Ogasawara - I'm not sure on this one since Ogasawara technically is Tokyo!

Author elsslots
Admin
#38 | Posted: 19 Jul 2016 04:54 
Durian:
(?) is it possible to visit Diamantina as a day trip from Belo Horizonte?

By bus it takes around 5 hours, so it certainly isn't that way. With a rental car it might, according to Google maps it's 3.5 hours (though I'd expect a lot of traffic in Belo Horizonte itself). Maybe meltwaterfalls checked when he was there lately?

Author elsslots
Admin
#39 | Posted: 19 Jul 2016 04:55 
Durian:
Ogasawara technically is Tokyo!

You cannot reach it in a day trip

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 19 Jul 2016 05:17 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
With a rental car it might, according to Google maps it's 3.5 hours (though I'd expect a lot of traffic in Belo Horizonte itself

We arrived very early in Belo by overnight bus from Brasilia, took a taxi out to the airport, rented a car, drove up to Diamantina via Pampulha, saw Diamantina and drove back, round Belo and on to Ouro Preto in the day (we eventually left the car in Rio). See my review - http://www.worldheritagesite.org/sites/site.php?id=890

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 19 Jul 2016 05:35 
Solivagant has beaten me to it. We only looked at heading south to Ouro Preto and Congonhas, which was offered as a combined day trip from BH.

I'm very happy we decoded against the day trip though as a more relaxing day touring Pampulha and eating in central BH (Feijoada and Pão de queijo) was very enjoyable. I don't think we would really have done justice to Ouro Preto with just an afternoon stop of a few hours.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 19 Jul 2016 06:37 | Edited by: winterkjm 
US National Historic Landmarks outside the 50 US States
- Either US Territories or Foreign County

NAN MADOL............................................................
09/16/85 TEMWEN ISLAND, POHNPEI STATE, MICRONESIA

LA FORTALEZA ...................................................
10/09/60 SAN JUAN, SAN JUAN COUNTY, PUERTO RICO
OLD SAN JUAN HISTORIC DISTRICT........................
02/27/13 SAN JUAN, SAN JUAN COUNTY, PUERTO RICO

There are additional NHL that almost meet this criteria (Hawaii)
WORLD WAR II FACILITIES AT MIDWAY (Papahānaumokuākea)

Just outside the inscribed zone of Rock Islands Southern Lagoon (Marshall Islands)
PELELIU BATTLEFIELD ................................................
02/04/85 PELELIU ISLAND, PELELIU MUNICIPALITY, PALAU

Perhaps a criteria for outside mainland 48 states? This would take much more research because there are dozens of national historical landmarks in Alaska and Hawaii. I do however, like the idea of a connection related to preserved heritage by the US outside State jurisdiction, either US Territory, Small Pacific Island Nations, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/nhl/find/statelists.htm

Author Assif
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 15 Oct 2016 17:37 
In his new review about the Rhaetian Railway Solivagant notices the fact that the site has a layered buffer zone, some of it with greater relevance to the nomination than the rest. I noticed the same phenomenon in the Semmering nomination. It would make a nice connection if a third one could be found.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 16 Oct 2016 07:18 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Assif:
In his new review about the Rhaetian Railway Solivagant notices the fact that the site has a layered buffer zone, some of it with greater relevance to the nomination than the rest. I noticed the same phenomenon in the Semmering nomination. It would make a nice connection if a third one could be found.

I don't know of a 3rd but, in searching for one, have identified a few aspects on the subject which seem worth noting - I have posted them under the Buffer Zone topic where they seem more appropriate. See http://www.worldheritagesite.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=8&topic=1657#m sg15302

Author elsslots
Admin
#45 | Posted: 11 Jul 2019 14:13 
While searching for connections for Budj Bim, I came to think of Fish farming: Hortobagy would qualify as well (for the fish ponds). Does anyone know of a third?

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Looking for a third site to make a connection

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑