World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Looking for a third site to make a connection

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#16 | Posted: 28 Mar 2013 08:31 
Robert Louis Stevenson
1. Edinburg (buried and born)
2. Causses & Cevennes (his book Travels with a Donkey in the CÚvennes)
3. ... ??? (maybe St. Kilda? Or somewhere in Polynesia?)

Who knows a third?

Author kintante
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 28 Mar 2013 09:17 
while the ossuary in Sedlec is not part of the WHS, the ossuary in Evora is. So you could pick that one.

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 28 Mar 2013 11:42 
kintante:
while the ossuary in Sedlec is not part of the WHS, the ossuary in Evora is. So you could pick that one.

yes, that's already there (http://www.worldheritagesite.org/tag.php?id=61), the topic is a bit old but I wanted to re-use it for a new query (about RL Stevenson)

Author kintante
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 2 Apr 2013 07:44 
Just saw that after I posted :) sorry for that.

Author Assif
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 23 Jun 2013 22:55 
Rice growing:

Philippine rice terraces, Hani terraces, ??

Pearling:

Pearling sites in Bahrain, Al Zubarah, ??

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 01:38 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Assif:
Rice growing:

Bali Subak.
I think we would need to ensure that the definition required the rice growing to be a significant aspect to avoid any site with a rice field somewhere in it getting connected!

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 03:42 
Pearling

Ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani and Ruins of Songo Mnara

Brief Description

The remains of two great East African ports admired by early European explorers are situated on two small islands near the coast. From the 13th to the 16th century, the merchants of Kilwa dealt in gold, silver, pearls, perfumes, Arabian crockery, Persian earthenware and Chinese porcelain; much of the trade in the Indian Ocean thus passed through their hands.

Author Durian
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 05:41 | Edited by: Durian 
I think rice terrace would be nice as it is more specific but it may duplicate man made terrace, also Phillipine, Hani and Bali are all rice terraces.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 06:03 
Durian:
rice terraces

I'm agree with you, I think "Rice terraces" would be better than "Rice growing".

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 11:36 
A possible negative of limiting the Connection to "Rice Terraces" is that it would block out places like Hahoe/Yangdong which are significantly about "Rice Cultivation". Lots of Rice Cultivation around the World doesn't use "Terraces".

Author elsslots
Admin
#26 | Posted: 24 Jun 2013 12:39 
Assif:
Rice growing:Philippine rice terraces, Hani terraces, ??Pearling:Pearling sites in Bahrain, Al Zubarah, ??

added both new connections

Author elsslots
Admin
#27 | Posted: 29 Jun 2013 09:51 | Edited by: elsslots 
Badgir (traditional Persian wind tower):
- Golestan Palace
- Muharraq (Pearling, Bahrain)
- ...????

Update: found one myself, Persian Garden of Bagh-e Dolat Abad !

Author Assif
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 13 Dec 2014 07:37 
Built or owned by the Swiss:

Chiquitos - Concepcion church was built by Martin Schmid.
Vatican - Saints Martin and Sebastian of the Swiss is the Swiss national church in Rome.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 13 Dec 2014 10:31 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Assif:
Built or owned by the Swiss:

I am never quite sure if we allow buildings "designed by" as equivalent to "Built by" under this Connection.

Never mind - Domenico Trezzini from Astano in the Ticino designed large parts of St Petersburg for Peter the Great - some of which are definitely still standing! See http://www.saint-petersburg.com/italian/domenico-trezzini/

One of the houses he designed, is now a boutique hotel called "The Trezzini Palace". Its history is here but only in Russian. http://trezzinipalace.com/istoriya-otelya
If my understanding of the Google translation is correct it was granted to his descendents (his son was also an architect who worked in St Petersburg) and he may even have lived in it for a short period before his death.

There was also another Swiss Trezzini who worked in St Petersburg - Pietro Antonio Trezzini https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pietro_Antonio_Trezzini . Indeed it appears that a number of Swiss architects went to St Petersburg -see this article by the Swiss Dept of Foreign Affairs - http://www.swissworld.org/en/culture/st_petersburg/architects/
But I can find nothing about their "ownership" of any property there
Enough to go with??

Author elsslots
Admin
#30 | Posted: 13 Dec 2014 11:23 
Solivagant:
designed by" as equivalent to "Built by" under

No we don't. Maybe a few have crept in, but we are looking for owners/patrons.

There are separate connections for architects.

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Looking for a third site to make a connection

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑