World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Viewable from another WHS

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3

Author Assif
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 27 Jun 2018 12:29 
meltwaterfalls:
Though the view from the Belfry of the Beaguinage probably isn't covered by those.

I agree that the Beguinage qualifies. The belfry isn't contiguous with it and they are both inscribed twice (with Bruges WHS), but this is does not affect their viewablity from each other.

Author elsslots
Admin
#32 | Posted: 27 Jun 2018 14:07 | Edited by: elsslots 
meltwaterfalls:
tevity:
was also wondering if you can see the Reims cathedral from any of the champagne caves. I imagine you'd be able to see the top of it from some of them.

We already had this one connected: from Parc de la Butte Saint-Nicaise (St Nicase Hill) you can see the Basilique of St Remi (is actually in Buffer zone of Champagne WHS).

Author tevity
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 30 Jun 2018 17:13 
Another one I thought of: you can see Huáscaran National Park from the Chavín de Huantar ruins

Author Colvin
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 30 Jun 2018 17:27 
I can confirm today that Waterton-Glacier is visible from the observation area at Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, and not just from the parking lot.

Also, Huascaran and Chavin seems like it would make sense; good thinking.

Author Durian
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 1 Jul 2018 02:17 
I am not sure that from Glover House (part of Meiji Sites) can see the spire of Oura Cathedral (part of new Hidden Christian sites) or not. But I remember that on the escalator partway that built next to Glover House from the park entrance, I could see Oura on the left and Glover House on the right in the same time.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 1 Jul 2018 02:43 
Durian:
I am not sure that from Glover House (part of Meiji Sites) can see the spire of Oura Cathedral

From Google Street view - you can see the Oura spire . There may be better views elsewhere inside the Gardens but Street view doesn't follow all the paths inside!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@32.7341726,129.8691583,3a,90y,73.07h,74.56t/data=!3m6! 1e1!3m4!1sqAW9lz1i5_D5oBuihly88w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Author Durian
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 1 Jul 2018 03:00 
Solivagant:
you can see the Oura spire

I don't think that green copper spire is Oura, such building is red brick so possible the near Catholic church. Oura should be white.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 1 Jul 2018 06:26 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:
I don't think that green copper spire is Oura,

You are correct - I got carried away when I saw a spire! I have checked all my photos from c 7 years ago taken from the lookout balconies within the Glover Garden and they only show the harbour, bay and bridge. Whether that was because one couldn't easily "see" further right, around the "corner" to Oura or it just didn't seem an interesting photo I don't know.

Author Assif
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 1 Jul 2018 15:21 
Picture number 31 taken from Glover Garden clearly shows the top of Oura Cathedral.
http://stayingglobal.blogspot.com/2014/04/nagasaki-glover-garden.html

Author Assif
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 1 Jul 2018 15:35 
meltwaterfalls:
Importantly the hills behind are inscribed and they can clearly be seen from the Villa, even if I can't make out a distinct vineyard.

I have been looking on pictures on the web and could find no proof. It seems the villa is located low at the lakeside with views towards the lake but none towards the vineyards. Does anyone have a photo showing otherwise?
The same is true from the vineyards towards the villa.

Author Assif
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 1 Jul 2018 16:03 
tevity:
Another one I thought of: you can see Huáscaran National Park from the Chavín de Huantar ruins

I am not too sure. It seems Chavin de Huantar is located on a slope on the "wrong" side of a smaller mountain barring any views of the higher mountains of the Huascaran NP beyond its top, or at least so it seems to me.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 1 Jul 2018 16:28 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Assif:
I am not too sure. It seems Chavin de Huantar is located on a slope on the "wrong" side of a smaller mountain barring any views of the higher mountains of the Huascaran NP beyond its top, or at least so it seems to me.

Agree - you are in front of the entrance to the site in this link and can swivel 360 degrees - there is no view beyond the valley. You can "travel" 20 kms further south to the borders of the NP by following the main road but it is a very twisty road with climbs etc etc -
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-9.5927667,-77.178609,3a,75y,189.12h,78.25t/data=!3m6! 1e1!3m4!1sx-qjK8TQa9ZDxGF-h9NKFg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Another view from INSIDE . Again try 360 degrees ??
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-9.593708,-77.1780319,3a,75y,68.38h,98.31t/data=!3m8!1 e1!3m6!1sAF1QipO_pZUfZ44miyKvA-6VTopEsm4LdiU_NIwcqV1B!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.goo gleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO_pZUfZ44miyKvA-6VTopEsm4LdiU_NIwcqV1B%3Dw203-h100-k-n o-pi0-ya325.87503-ro-0-fo100!7i6000!8i3000

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 1 Jul 2018 17:39 
Assif:
I have been looking on pictures on the web and could find no proof. It seems the villa is located low at the lakeside with views towards the lake but none towards the vineyards. Does anyone have a photo showing otherwise?

This panorama is just outside the villa, but I think gives a good impression of the view back towards the vineyards. I'm not sure if that is an actual roof garden on top or not (it is one of leCorbu's five points but I can't see if there are any examples of it being used as such. Edit The Third image here suggests it is used as such, but shows the view of the garden and lake) but if so then the view of the vineyards should be even clearer than in the panorama.

Scrap the roof terrace angle, on this lake level photo you can still pick out the vineyards.

Assif:
The same is true from the vineyards towards the villa.

This is the best view I can find from the vineyards, I would say the buildings in-between stop there being any view of the Villa from the hills, but it may be possible from somewhere.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Viewable from another WHS

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑