World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

WHS in Video Games

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author joelonroad
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 9 Oct 2020 01:25 
I've been playing Forza Horizon 4 the last few weeks, which is set in the UK. Surprisingly it includes three separate World Heritage Sites! The Lake District (including Ambleside and Derwent Water), the Old and New Towns of Edinburgh, and the Forth Bridge also makes an appearance in the background (though you can't drive anywhere near it, it's just background scenery).

Author AT8
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 11 Oct 2020 09:49 
joelonroad:
I've been playing Forza Horizon 4 the last few weeks, which is set in the UK. Surprisingly it includes three separate World Heritage Sites! The Lake District (including Ambleside and Derwent Water), the Old and New Towns of Edinburgh, and the Forth Bridge also makes an appearance in the background (though you can't drive anywhere near it, it's just background scenery).

Honestly, with all the global travel restrictions these days, the only ways to experience world heritage sites are to watch movies or play video games.

I would try to restrict this connection to real-life depiction/replicas of actual buildings, rather than a generic place. For example, some games are set in the Amazon, but that could also easily be a rainforest in Africa or Asia. While I haven't played Forza Horizon, I do agree that the depictions of Edinburgh and Lake District are very close (based on watching youtube videos by gamers), though I probably won't include background scenery for Forth Bridge. I'd say you should at least be within the "core zone" of the heritage site or right next to it.

Here are a few ones that aren't on the connections yet:
Delphi - Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Mycenae and Tiryns- Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Delos - Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Samos - Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Heraion of Samos
Temple of Apollo Epicurius - Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Statue of Liberty - Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (Warlords of New York Expansion)
Frank Lloyd Buildings - Marvel's Spider-Man - Guggenheim Museum
Tower of London - Watch Dogs: Legion
Palace of Westminster - Watch Dogs: Legion
Lake District - Forza Horizon 4
Edinburgh - Forza Horizon 4 - Ambleside, Derwent Water

Speaking of which, I realize that the video game company Ubisoft publishes a lot of these titles. They really try to use real-life locations rather than fictional countries, which should be applauded considering that it is probably easier to create something fictional than to try to recreate a real-life location/building with all the details accurate.

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:13 
Thanks, guys. I've added them.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 WHS in Video Games

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑