World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Out or in doubt #30

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Colvin
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 31 Mar 2018 18:00 
Finally, there are a couple of links currently connected to Ibn Battuta that I don't think are accurate:

Fort Jesus: Fort Jesus was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century, and the nomination package seems to indicate its OUV is based on that construction. Ibn Battuta visited Mombasa in the 14th century.

Old Town of Galle: Galle was founded by the Portuguese in the 16th century, and was not in existence when Ibn Battuta visited Sri Lanka (Ceylon) in the 14th century.

Author elsslots
Admin
#17 | Posted: 11 Oct 2018 00:02 | Edited by: elsslots 
I was looking at a possible new connection to GIAHS. Qanat Irrigated Agricultural Heritage Systems, Kashan was suggested, but my first impression is that this particular qanat system is NOT part of the WHS Persian Qanat system. Am I overlooking something?

See http://www.fao.org/giahs/giahsaroundtheworld/designated-sites/near-east-and-north-afr ica/qanat-irrigated-agricultural-heritage-systems-kashan/en/

And the same for the Subak system of Abian Salak in Karangasem, Bali:

http://www.fao.org/giahs/giahsaroundtheworld/proposed-sites/asia-and-the-pacific/inte grated-agroforestry-system-of-abian-salak/detailed-information/en/

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 11 Oct 2018 03:46 
elsslots:
but my first impression is that this particular qanat system is NOT part of the WHS Persian Qanat system.

No Qanat system in Kashan is inscribed as part of the "Persian Qanat System" - but other Iranian WHS do contain "qanats" e.g Yazd.
In Kashan the Bagh-e Fin Persian Garden is fed from a qanat.
We have no map of the 4 650 km2 covered by the GIAHS. It may include the Bagh-e Fin but the GIAHS is supposed to be all about "Agricultural systems" and a Persian Palace doesn't really seem to "fit the bill" even if its waters do come from a Qanat included in the area.

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 18 Jun 2019 13:08 
For Mines which can be visited underground, Zacatecas' El Eden mine has been suggested. However, does it lie outside of the core zone of the WHS? - Solivagant thought so when submitting the original connection idea.

I had a look at the map provided on the UNESCO website and must say I do not understand what I am looking at.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 18 Jun 2019 13:59 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
I had a look at the map provided on the UNESCO website and must say I do not understand what I am looking at.

Yes - it is a mess with its lack of reference points!
First - it is oriented with North to the right!! (see "Compass point" at top right)
If you look at it in that orientation then there is a long "hippodrome" shaped feature with "rounded ends" at the top centre - ie the Western side of Zacatecas. The red boundary line goes just "above" i.e to the western edge of this feature.
If you then look at Google maps for the city centre (correctly oriented N/S) it will be seen that this feature is La Alameda park running SE/NW alongside Av Torrejon. The Cathedral is pretty well central on the UNESCO map - the large rectangle surrounded by streets
It will be seen that El Eden is slightly further NNW than the "Hippodromic" Alameda OUTSIDE the core area. Torrejon continues NW until it circles around Biblioteca Publica with El Eden to its NE. El Eden is situated at the very top of the UNESCO map to the right of the sinuous Paseo Diaz Ordaz which runs along the bottom of the hill - clearly outside the red line area.
With its inscription as early as 1993, the definition of "Historic Centre" for Zacatecas was rather stricter than I suspect it might be nowadays! And it only has the single location .

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 19 Jun 2019 06:40 
Thought I would have a look too and yes come to the same conclusion as Solivagant, the mine is one block outside the inscribed area which finishes at la Alameda park.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Out or in doubt #30

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑