World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Movies

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »

Author clyde
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 14 May 2018 10:57 
GaryArndt
Re Baraka, there are much more:
Rio de Janeiro, Lijiung River (Guilin), Kathmandu, Sagarmatha, Great Himalayas, Auschwitz and Birkenau, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Central Amazon, St Peter's Basilica (Vatican)

Author Assif
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 14 May 2018 15:47 
Since some films feature so many WHS I propose we adopt a similar approach to the architects. I think it could be nice to have one connection per film for films with multiple locations.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 14 May 2018 18:19 
Thanks Zos, I like the idea of a list for films that have grossed over $1 billion it is a nice clear subset.

Though inflation adjusted international box office is always a slightly tricky thing to calculate, perhaps we can look into that in the future, maybe using the post Jaws cur off point is another good break as well, though from a quick glance a lot of the really big grossing films from before the 1970s May be mostly filmed in studios so it may not be as big a task as it may initially look.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 14 May 2018 21:32 | Edited by: Colvin 
I think there just might be enough difference between WHS in a blockbuster movie and the existing Location for a classic movie connection to warrant a different connection. I certainly wouldn't consider any of the recent Transformers movies to be classics by any means, though they certainly earned a lot at the box office. The $1 billion mark that Zos suggests seems reasonable, as well as the Jaws cut off.

Currently we have connections for three movie series: Indiana Jones, James Bond, and Star Wars. If someone wanted to do the research, and if it seems worthwhile, there are also potential series connections for the Mission: Impossible movie franchise and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I would include Star Trek here, but for an intergalactic movie series, it stays pretty grounded in California!

As for the recommendation to include individual movies on the connections list, I personally think it might be too much of a niche connection. I mentioned the movie The Fall as trivia here in the forum, but I don't think it deserves its own connection. I would view Baraka or Samsara the same way, since I'm not sure how well known those documentaries are. That's my opinion, though, and others may think differently.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 15 Oct 2021 23:49 
A couple updates for Movie connections this year:

For the James Bond in Movies connection:

Matera: No Time to Die (2021)

For the Marvel Cinematic Universe connection:

Budapest: Black Widow, car chase scene along the Banks of the Danube between the Chain Bridge and the Parliament building.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 16 Oct 2021 12:05 
Colvin:
A couple updates for Movie connections this year:

And we'll have to watch the next Indiana Jones!

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 31 Oct 2021 21:32 
Zos:
Rice Terraces of Philippine Cordilleras - Plate shots of terraces were used for the end scene where Thanos "retire" after annihilating half of the universal population. I can't find any source explicitly connecting on of the inscribed areas aside from mentioning it as Banaue Rice Terraces.

Hey Zos, if it was shot in what they merely describe as "Banaue Rice Terraces", then we cannot confidently attribute it to Battad and Bangaan until proven. Battad and Bangaan are located in the municipality of Banaue, but as we all know, Banaue has many other terraces that are not inscribed properties.

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 31 Oct 2021 21:36 | Edited by: carlosarion 
Apologies if this is going to be a duplicate (I can't seem to find it in this website though), but if not, I suggest the following to be included:

Guillermin's Death on the Nile (1978):
- Memphis and its Necropolis – the Pyramid Fields from Giza to Dahshur
- Ancient Thebes with its Necropolis
- Nubian Monuments from Abu Simbel to Philae

Author Zoe
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 1 Nov 2021 12:12 
Movies are a little too easy to include as WHS so I think we never added this connection. The Statue of Liberty is in a few each year and the same goes for locations in London.
Also with streaming services the blockbuster movies aren't easily identified anymore. Dune still made some impressive numbers considering that many cinemas are still closed, and it was filmed in Wadi Rum.

Author csarica
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 1 Nov 2021 21:06 
Winter Sleep 2014 - Cappadoccia
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2758880/

Argo 2012 - Istanbul
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024648

Author elsslots
Admin
#26 | Posted: 2 Nov 2021 04:25 | Edited by: elsslots 
Zoe:
Movies are a little too easy to include as WHS so I think we never added this connection. The Statue of Liberty is in a few each year and the same goes for locations in London.

Yes, it seems hard to scope this connection. There's the pitfall that it connects the same cities over and over again (Paris, Rome, Vienna, Prague).
The 'official rule' is "location for films of high public and/or critical acclaim" -> maybe we can think of a better definition? Maybe limit them in time (up and until the 1960s or 1970s)? It would be hard to say whether a movie of the 2000s or 2010s is a classic yet.

Or try to split them out like the more specific ones on Indiana Jones, James Bond and the Marvel studios? Star Wars has 3 already, for Hitchcock it must be possible as well.
(I will start taking the double entries out, the Indiana Jones ones are also still in the classic movie connection)

Author Jurre
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 2 Nov 2021 05:45 | Edited by: Jurre 
elsslots:
The 'official rule' is "location for films of high public and/or critical acclaim" -> maybe we can think of a better definition?

For literature, there is a restriction to Nobel Prize winning authors, so maybe the films could be restricted to films that have won a major award (e.g. Academy Award, Golden Globe, César, Golden Palm, Golden Bear)?

Author elsslots
Admin
#28 | Posted: 2 Nov 2021 06:19 | Edited by: elsslots 
Jurre:
won a major award (e.g. Academy Award, Golden Globe, César, Golden Palm, Golden Bear)?

It could work if we broaden this enough to make it less US centric or Euro centric. There's the Golden Lion (from Venice) as well, Rashomon (1950, featuring Nara and Kyoto) has won one.

And the emphasis should be on Won and Best Film (not only nominated, nor Best Costume etc)

One of the issues with this approach is that it leaves out the more controversial movies. The Life of Brian for example has won no big awards, but it is a classic as 30-40 years later it remains popular.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 2 Nov 2021 08:45 | Edited by: Jurre 
elsslots:
And the emphasis should be on Won and Best Film (not only nominated, nor Best Costume etc)

I'd be inclined to add the acting awards too (Best Actor/Actress) and the one for best director.

elsslots:
One of the issues with this approach is that it leaves out the more controversial movies. The Life of Brian for example has won no big awards, but it is a classic as 30-40 years later it remains popular.

Yes, but the "Works by Nobel Prize winning authors" connection does exclude other major writers who haven't been awarded the Nobel too (e.g. Tolstoy, Proust, Borges, Joyce).

The problem is you're working with a non definable characteristic here: what is "classic"?

Author elsslots
Admin
#30 | Posted: 2 Nov 2021 10:22 
Jurre:
Yes, but the "Works by Nobel Prize winning authors" connection does exclude other major writers who haven't been awarded the Nobel too (e.g. Tolstoy, Proust, Borges, Joyce).

Valid point. But in some of these movies one can see a WHS in an earlier age (the 1960's, the 1920's etc), I am hesitant to let go of them. For example the one shot in Bam. Or That Man from Rio (with JP Belmondo) (1964), where Brasilia during its construction can be seen.

I just went through them all and added the major awards won in the description. I also used the US National Film Registry and a few non-US film awards. There's no doubt about some 80% of them.

As said above, I propose to move the Hitchcock ones and the Star Wars ones to their own connections.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Movies

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑