World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Movies

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author clyde
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 14 May 2018 10:57 
GaryArndt
Re Baraka, there are much more:
Rio de Janeiro, Lijiung River (Guilin), Kathmandu, Sagarmatha, Great Himalayas, Auschwitz and Birkenau, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Central Amazon, St Peter's Basilica (Vatican)

Author Assif
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 14 May 2018 15:47 
Since some films feature so many WHS I propose we adopt a similar approach to the architects. I think it could be nice to have one connection per film for films with multiple locations.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 14 May 2018 18:19 
Thanks Zos, I like the idea of a list for films that have grossed over $1 billion it is a nice clear subset.

Though inflation adjusted international box office is always a slightly tricky thing to calculate, perhaps we can look into that in the future, maybe using the post Jaws cur off point is another good break as well, though from a quick glance a lot of the really big grossing films from before the 1970s May be mostly filmed in studios so it may not be as big a task as it may initially look.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 14 May 2018 21:32 | Edited by: Colvin 
I think there just might be enough difference between WHS in a blockbuster movie and the existing Location for a classic movie connection to warrant a different connection. I certainly wouldn't consider any of the recent Transformers movies to be classics by any means, though they certainly earned a lot at the box office. The $1 billion mark that Zos suggests seems reasonable, as well as the Jaws cut off.

Currently we have connections for three movie series: Indiana Jones, James Bond, and Star Wars. If someone wanted to do the research, and if it seems worthwhile, there are also potential series connections for the Mission: Impossible movie franchise and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I would include Star Trek here, but for an intergalactic movie series, it stays pretty grounded in California!

As for the recommendation to include individual movies on the connections list, I personally think it might be too much of a niche connection. I mentioned the movie The Fall as trivia here in the forum, but I don't think it deserves its own connection. I would view Baraka or Samsara the same way, since I'm not sure how well known those documentaries are. That's my opinion, though, and others may think differently.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Movies

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑