I just finished watching Avengers Infinity War (for the second time) which got me intrigued on the pretty Scotland location in the movie. It turned out to be at Edinburgh Old Town. This is aside from the ending scene which "possibly" can be one of the inscribed Rice Terraces in Philippine Cordilleras (news articles only indicate it as Banaue Rice Terraces - the most popular name of rice terraces area). Footage of the Lençois Maranhenses National Park (on Brazil's T-list) were all used for Planet Vormir.
Classic Movies is too broad of a term. Maybe we can have a connection for "Location of Blockbuster Movies" to include popular movies that are not yet considered "classic". We can define Blockbuster as grossing over $1B WW Gross both adjusted for inflation or not. Not adjusted for inflation, there are currently 34 films hitting over a billion based on Box Office Mojo
. For sure there can be more films if we consider adjusting for inflation. [Edit] If adjusted for inflation, we can limit to films released after Jaws since, technically, the "blockbuster" phenomena only started from it.
As a film buff and WHS traveller, I started researching this connection since I saw Skelig Michel in the new Star War films.
1. Avatar (2009, $2.787 B)
* Wulingyan (Zhangjiajie) as the Hallelujah Mountain (floating mountains) of Pandora
2. Star Wars: The Force Awaken (2015, $2.068), Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017, $1.326B)
* Skelig Michael as the planet Ahch-To, the "spiritual home of the Force" and Luke Skywalker exiled himself after Kylo Ren turned to the "dark side of the Force"
3. Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014, $1.104B)
* South China Karst: Wulong Karst
as a location of climactic battle scene where it stands as a crater created by a crashed starship.
4. Skyfall (2012, $1.105B)
* Istanbul: Several sites in Istanbul were used as filming locations including Grand Bazaar and other sites
Our James Bond
connection also shows Skyfall being shot in Maritime Greenwich and Hashima Island.
5. Avengers Infinity War
* Edinburgh - Vision and Wanda stroll at Edinburgh Old Town
before the children of Thanos attacked them
* Rice Terraces of Philippine Cordilleras - Plate shots of terraces were used for the end scene where Thanos "retire" after annihilating half of the universal population. I can't find any source explicitly connecting on of the inscribed areas aside from mentioning it as Banaue Rice Terraces
[Edit]. Our Star Wars connection also list other Star Wars films with WHS connection. Rouge One and Return of the Jedi also fits as blockbuster.