World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Out or in doubt #28

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4

Author Durian
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 11 Jan 2016 09:56 
Star War

Seville - the film location is Plaza Espana which is not a part of Seville WHS

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 11 Jan 2016 12:55 
Yep that is a good point regarding Seville.

Also could we just amend another thing on the Star Wars page. Could we just delete a couple of words from the Sceilg Mhichíl blurb so that it reads:
The island served as a location for Star Wars: The Force Awakens and is featured in the film Star Wars : Episode 8.

Just to remove which specific scene it is, we don't want to have spoilers on the page!!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 11 Jan 2016 21:48 
That was a fun connection, so thanks to whoever posted it! I agree with meltwaterfalls that it may be best to amend the Sceilg Mhichíl information to prevent spoilers. I am wondering about Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. The mountains in the background on Alderaan were filmed around Grindelwald in the Swiss Alps. Does anyone who has seen the movie recognize any mountain peaks that fall within the Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch World Heritage Site? If so, that would be another connection.

Author Durian
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 26 Jan 2016 04:34 | Edited by: Durian 
Viewable from another WHS

Dear Els, I want to add Dambulla and Sigiriya. While climbing to Dambulla caves (part of WHS core zone), Sigiriya is very easy to spot for its unique shape. From the top of Sigiriya I also can see the mountain where Dambulla should be, but not sure is this fit the requirement of this connection or not? I mean able to see the mountain does not mean you can easily know that it is Dambulla. So kindly decide.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 26 Jan 2016 05:11 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Here's a photo of S from D -
http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=535&with_photo_id=5849558 &order=date_desc&user=1070833

Can't find one of the other way round yet - though one would presume that the Giant Seated Buddha as in this photo ought to be viewable from normally accessible locations at the top of S since it clearly "stands out" (but probably with binoculars as S is c15kms away as the crow flies?).
An unfortunate aspect is that the map of the inscribed area of D available on the UNESCO Web site is virtually useless for determining the boundaries of the site both for looking from and looking to!! And NONE of the UNESCO photos actually show the external "Seated Buddha" - only photos inside the caves or immediately outside them.

Author elsslots
Admin
#51 | Posted: 20 Apr 2016 07:01 
Water wheels was suggested for a Connection for Maymand

It only has "the remains of mostly now ruined water-mills", while the connection requires "Only complete and functioning water wheels are part of this connection"

Maybe someone who has recently visited Maymand can tell us whether a water wheel is still visible.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 21 Apr 2016 21:51 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
Maybe someone who has recently visited Maymand can tell us whether a water wheel is still visible.

Our driver guide lives in Yazd and knows .Maymand well says that there are NO working water Mills there. He has also promised to show us the best example of a ruined one!

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#53 | Posted: 22 Apr 2016 05:07 
Solivagant:
Our driver guide lives in Yazd and knows .Maymand well says that there are NO working water Mills there. He has also promised to show us the best example of a ruined one!

Nope, I'm certainly not envious. Hope you are having fun.

I had a scour through lots of photos and haven't found anything more than dry water channels.

Author elsslots
Admin
#54 | Posted: 9 Jun 2016 06:25 
Takht-e Soleymān - Jewish religion & Culture (via: King Solomon)

>> not a valid connection I think, as there is no connection with Judaism (the name is apocryphal)

Author elsslots
Admin
#55 | Posted: 17 Jun 2016 05:24 | Edited by: elsslots 
We have this connection:

World Heritage Sites connected to 'Under control of ISIS':

·Ashur As of March 7, 2015, the city is in ISIL held territory (wiki)
·Hatra Actions by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which occupied the area in mid-2014, have been a major threat to Hatra. (wiki)
·Palmyra On 21 May 2015, some artifacts were removed from the Palmyra museum by the Syrian curators and transported in 2 trucks to Damascus. ... The same day, ISIL forces entered the World Heritage Site (wiki) - On 27 March 2016 the site was recaptured by Syrian government troops.
·Sabratha Since Dec 10, 2015; link

From what I gather, Sabratha is now under government control again, as is Ashur. Am I right? I'll try to find the dates when they changed hands. I've changed the connection to 'are or have been under control of ISIS', as I think it is a historically important connection to keep track of.

P.S.: Sabratha might be held by a 'third party' , according to this map and this.
P.P.S: and Ashur is also held by a third party, Iraqi Kurdistan, according to this map or close to become that way (as is the nearest city al-Shirqat)

Author Assif
Partaker
#56 | Posted: 17 Jun 2016 10:43 
elsslots:
P.P.S: and Ashur is also held by a third party, Iraqi Kurdistan, according to this map or close to become that way (as is the nearest city al-Shirqat)

If so, we could add Ashur to our Kurdistan connection.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#57 | Posted: 17 Jun 2016 13:07 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Assif:
Ashur

The issue seems to be how much land West/S West of Kirkuk Governate do the Kurds claim as being historically "theirs".

I found this and have "Bolded" Shirkat District within which Assur is located. It is the Northernmost district within Saladin Province. Just south of it the Kirkuk district actually crosses the Tigris to the west (Same side as Assur) in a narrow strip
"The territories Kurds consider part of Kurdistan, but are not officially recognized to be part of Kurdistan Region are:
Nineve Province:
Sinjar district, Rabiaa, Zumar and Yadia subdistrcits (part of Tal Afar district), Tel Kaif, Shikkan, Hamdania districts (part of proposed Assyrian Autonomous Region, in the Assyrian Plains) , Akre and Makhmur district.
Kirkuk Province:
Altin Kopru, Dibis, Shuwan, Qarahanjir, Laylan, Multaqa, Yacy, Taza, Daquq, Kirkuk and part of Abassi districts( west of Little Zab river).
Saladin province:
Shirkat and Tuz districts.
Diala Pronvice:
Khanaqin, Kifri and Balad Ruz districts.
Wasit Province:
Badra district."

See - http://wikimapia.org/33330425/South-Kurdistan-Iraqi-Kurdistan (then click on the map - the disputed territories listed above are marked)
However the Wiki article titled "Disputed Territories of N Iraq" does NOT in its map show the Shirkat district as being one of those "in dispute" -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disputed_territories_of_Northern_Iraq

Author elsslots
Admin
#58 | Posted: 20 Jun 2016 13:48 | Edited by: elsslots 
Walled City of Baku - Locations for playing sport: Baku City Circuit

I also watched with interest yesterday, seeing them speeding past the Maiden Tower and the City Walls.
Unfortunately it's out for 2 reasons:
- The Connection covers only Sites which were constructed for sporting purposes. The Walled City wasn't built to accommodate racing cars of course.
- The Circuit does not enter the core zone of the WHS. It circles around it.

Author Durian
Partaker
#59 | Posted: 21 Jun 2016 04:44 
Not under control of the nominating state

·Ancient villages of Northern Syria Site nominated by Syria (2011), but the area currently is under control of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).
·Bosra Site nominated by Syria (1980), but the area currently is under control of the Free Syrian Army (FSA).

I am not sure for these two I understand that the qualified sites must be controlled by other state or similar entity that similar to state e.g. ISIS. For SDF and FSA I am not sure that they qualified as I don't think their intention to separate Syria as a new independent country or has political structure with self governmental body. If we OK with SDF/FSA then any sites in rebel or similar self declared independent entity controlled area like what happened in Timbuktu has to be considered.

Author Assif
Partaker
#60 | Posted: 21 Jun 2016 13:34 
Durian:
If we OK with SDF/FSA then any sites in rebel or similar self declared independent entity controlled area like what happened in Timbuktu has to be considered.

Sure, Timbuktu would have been on this connection. Such sites are not under control of the official government.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Out or in doubt #28

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑