there must be something in the OUV related to the desert.
Just had a look at those already "connected" and a few of the "contenders". I have only used the Cultural Criteria for mixed sites
a. "Incense route of the Negev
" Crit v "The almost fossilized remains of towns, forts, caravanserais and sophisticated agricultural systems strung out along the Incense Route in the Negev desert, display an outstanding response to a hostile desert environment and one that flourished for five centuries."
- Crit v "reflects a traditional three phase transhumance system with unusual troglodytic winter housing in a dry desert environment.
-None of the draft criteria as in the AB eval mention "desert"
d. Wadi Rum
. Crit v "WRPA assists the understanding of the continuum of settled and mobile lifestyles in a desert landscape illustrating the adaptability and ingenuity of human communities who have made the most of scarce resources to sustain continuous presence after the climate became dryer in the Bronze Age (3rd millennium BC)."
e. Al Hijr - None
- I can find no "official statement" of Criteria for this early inscription?
- "desert" not mentioned in any of the Crit
- No "official Criteria but not mentioned in the 3 draft criteria by ICOMOS in the AB eval
"bear witness, by their exceedingly original architecture dating from the beginning of the 11th century and by their rigour and organization, to an outstanding and original occupation model for human settlements of the cultural area of central Sahara." (but doesn't say "sahara Desert"!! (but is this just "luck" - the Negev one could jsut as easily have just said ..."of the Negev"!!
- "desert" not mentioned" in Crit
k Caral Supe
- "desert" not mentioned
l Chaco Culture
"desert" not mentioned only "The Chaco Canyon sites graphically illustrate the architectural and engineering achievements of the Chacoan people, who overcame the harshness of the environment of the southwestern United States to found a culture that dominated the area for more than four centuries."
m. Mesa Verde
- "desert" not mentioned in Crit
- " desert" not mentioned" in crit
- can't find the OUV crit -even though it is called "Pearl of the desert"!!!