World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Out or in doubt #28

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 7 Jul 2015 16:51 
My proposals connections:

Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System Constructions Aqueduct
Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System Constructions Canals
Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System Human Activity Irrigation and drainage
Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System Religion and Belief Franciscans
Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System Trivia Named after individual people
Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System World Heritage Process Part of Cultural nomination rejected
Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalú and Monreale Architecture Norman architecture
Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalú and Monreale Constructions Notable Bridges
Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalú and Monreale History Byzantine Empire and Civilization
Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalú and Monreale History Fusion
Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalú and Monreale Religion and Belief Cathedrals
Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalú and Monreale Religion and Belief Jewish religion and culture
Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalú and Monreale Trivia Built or owned by French
Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalú and Monreale WHS Hotspots Sicily hotspot
Baptism Site "Bethany Beyond the Jordan" (Al-Maghtas) Religion and Belief Christian Churches in non Christian countries
Baptism Site "Bethany Beyond the Jordan" (Al-Maghtas) Religion and Belief Christian Pilgrimage Sites
Blue and John Crow Mountains Ecology Endemic Bird Species
Blue and John Crow Mountains History Slavery
Blue and John Crow Mountains Human Activity Coffee
Blue and John Crow Mountains Trivia Named after individual people
Blue and John Crow Mountains WHS on Other Lists Biodiversity hotspot
Blue and John Crow Mountains WHS on Other Lists Masterpieces of Oral and Intangible heritage
Blue and John Crow Mountains World Heritage Process Slow Starters
Champagne Hillsides, Houses and Cellars Constructions Vineyards
Champagne Hillsides, Houses and Cellars Trivia Subterranean Cultural Sites
Christiansfeld a Moravian Settlement Architecture Brick architecture
Christiansfeld a Moravian Settlement Architecture Ideal City
Christiansfeld a Moravian Settlement Architecture Modern Urban Planning
Climats, terroirs of Burgundy Constructions Hospitals
Climats, terroirs of Burgundy Geography Linear inscriptions
Climats, terroirs of Burgundy Trivia Leprosy
Ephesus History Ancient Greek colonies
Ephesus History Ancient Roman colonies
Ephesus Human Activity Sea Ports
Fray Bentos Cultural-Industrial Landscape Human Activity River Ports
Fray Bentos Cultural-Industrial Landscape Trivia Built or owned by British
Fray Bentos Cultural-Industrial Landscape Trivia Built or owned by Germans
Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain and its surrounding sacred landscape Constructions Caravanserai
Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain and its surrounding sacred landscape Constructions Tell
Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain and its surrounding sacred landscape History Birthplaces
Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain and its surrounding sacred landscape History Fusion
Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain and its surrounding sacred landscape History Mesopotamia
Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain and its surrounding sacred landscape Individual People Genghis Khan
Rjukan / Notodden Industrial Heritage Site Constructions Boats
Rjukan / Notodden Industrial Heritage Site Constructions Railways
Rjukan / Notodden Industrial Heritage Site Damaged Damaged in World War II
Rjukan / Notodden Industrial Heritage Site Ecology Big Waterfalls
Rjukan / Notodden Industrial Heritage Site Human Activity Sea Ports
San Antonio Missions History Fusion
San Antonio Missions History Sieges and Battles
San Antonio Missions Human Activity Irrigation and drainage
San Antonio Missions Religion and Belief Catholic missions
San Antonio Missions Religion and Belief Franciscans
San Antonio Missions Trivia Built or owned by Spanish
San Antonio Missions Trivia Location for a classic movie
Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining Constructions Lighthouses
Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining Geography Uninhabited islands
Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining History Slavery
Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining Human Activity Coal Mining
Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining Human Activity Iron production
Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining Human Activity Sea Ports
Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining Trivia James Bond in books
Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining World Heritage Process Controversial at inscription
Susa Damaged Destroyed during invasion
Susa History Parthian Empire
Susa Religion and Belief Mentioned in the Bible
Susa Trivia Located in a Former Capital
The Cultural Landscape of Maymand Architecture Vernacular architecture
The Cultural Landscape of Maymand Human Activity Pastoralism
The Forth Bridge Architecture Steel-Framed construction
The Forth Bridge Trivia Location for a classic movie
The Forth Bridge Trivia On Banknotes
The Necropolis of Bet She'arim - A Landmark of Jewish Renewal Constructions Catacombs
The Necropolis of Bet She'arim - A Landmark of Jewish Renewal Constructions Necropolises
The Necropolis of Bet She'arim - A Landmark of Jewish Renewal Human Activity Historical Graffiti
The Necropolis of Bet She'arim - A Landmark of Jewish Renewal Religion and Belief Jewish religion and culture
The par force hunting landscape in northern Zealand Architecture Baroque
The par force hunting landscape in northern Zealand Human Activity Hunting Lodge or Castle
The Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District with Chilehaus Architecture Brick architecture
The Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District with Chilehaus Constructions Canals
The Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District with Chilehaus Damaged Damaged in World War II
The Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District with Chilehaus History Hanseatic League
The Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District with Chilehaus Human Activity Sea Ports
Tusi Sites Architecture Vernacular architecture
Tusi Sites Trivia Minority communities

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 12 Jul 2015 09:57 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Proposal for new Connection
Most Isolated WHS
sorry -see we already have this!!!

Author Durian
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 12 Jul 2015 20:11 | Edited by: Durian 
jonathanfr:
Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel, Shipbuilding and Coal Mining Trivia James Bond in books

James Bond Skyfall is an original screen play, not based on Ian Fleming's original novel, better connect with Location for a classic movie.

jonathanfr:
Blue and John Crow Mountains Trivia Named after individual people

According to Wikipedia John Crow is not a person, it is a local name of turkey vulture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_vulture

jonathanfr:
Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain and its surrounding sacred landscape History Mesopotamia

The site is in Mongolia, not Mesopotamia

jonathanfr:
The Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District with Chilehaus History Hanseatic League

Speicherstadt and the Kontorhaus district were begun in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, much later the Hanseatic League

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 13 Jul 2015 02:35 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:
Speicherstadt and the Kontorhaus district were begun in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, much later the Hanseatic League

Yes - a difficult one.
I had previously suggested this Connection and Els had "gone along with it"!
I was aware that the entire nominated area with its 2 elements post-dated the Hanseatic League but I also noted the repeated claiming of the Hanseatic Heritage linkage in the Nomination and Evaluations. From the continued use of the term in the official name of the city ("Free and Hanseatic Port of Hamburg") through to the claim of Criterion iii - "The scale and the quality of the design, materials, and architectural forms of the nominated property, particularly the core area of the Kontorhaus district, bear exceptional testimony to the building tradition in the Hanseatic port city Hamburg, to the self-image of its business people, and to their own adaptability, which ensured their success."
However - I note that this particular Criterion was NOT accepted by ICOMOS!!
I wouldn't object to the removal of this Connection or, alternatively, the addition of some comment along the lines that the "Inscribed areas post-date the area of Hamburg during the time of the Hanseatic League but that direct links to this heritage were claimed for the Nomination."

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 13 Jul 2015 11:17 
Durian
I wanted to say for Mesopotamia : Diyarbakır
Geographically it is the region (between the rivers Tigris and Euphrates) but later historically.

Author elsslots
Admin
#21 | Posted: 13 Jul 2015 11:49 | Edited by: elsslots 
Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain is not officially a cultural landscape according to the Unesco website, though the AB evaluation states "In terms of the Operational Guidelines for the Implementation of the World Heritage Convention (July 2013), paragraph 47, it is also a cultural landscape"

Is this an error on the Unesco website? Or did I miss a change during the decisions last week?

Author elsslots
Admin
#22 | Posted: 13 Jul 2015 12:59 
I've been adding Timelines for the new WHS. What do you think of the natural part of Blue & John Crow Mountains? Holocene? It is mostly about flora and fauna.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 13 Jul 2015 14:13 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
I've been adding Timelines for the new WHS. What do you think of the natural part of Blue & John Crow Mountains? Holocene? It is mostly about flora and fauna.

I am not sure about that and feel it needs a bit more investigation!! But it isn't a subject I feel very comfortable with!!
a. It seems that what is "special" about the Flora and fauna of these areas is the high degree of Endemism
b. Jamaica emerged around 13mya - but elsewhere I have seen 5-10mya. (" Uplift and deformation (13 million years to present). Interactions between the Caribbean Plate and North American Plate led do deformation shortening and uplift (also in Hispaniola). The mountains and plateaus rose, were eroded and the older rocks exposed. The Coastal Group was deposited around the fringe of the island and is represented by coral reef deposits. The White Limestone karstified to form the cockpits and cave systems so characteristic of Jamaica's topography"
c. Since then it has never been connected to any other land mass
d. During the last Ice age (ending 18kya) seas were around 120m lower than now which created a series of islands from Nicaragua across which birds could reach. But no suggestion that this altered OTHER aspects of Jamaican Flora and Fauna
e. "The island was once almost entirely covered by forest, of which there are four main types whose distribution is determined by the rainfall pattern: dry (deciduous) limestone forest on southern lowlands and hills; intermediate limestone forest in the central uplands, wet and very wet limestone forest in the Cockpit Country and John Crow Mountains (mainly between 30 and 750 m); and rain forest (lowlands largely cleared, but montane forest remains in the higher parts of the Blue Mountains)"
f. So I would understand this history to mean that the significant aspects of Jamaican Flora and fauna considerably pre-date the Holocene which started at 11700 BP. But to which period do they "belong"?
g. The previous period was the Pleisticene (2,588,000 to 11,700 years ago, ). I have looked long and hard for articles - this seems relevant albeit that it concentrates on Fauna rather than flora unfortunately.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pyL5vf1FeqgC&pg=PA423&lpg=PA423&dq=pleistocene+ev olution+in++jamaica&source=bl&ots=3B7CJOre3s&sig=w04QziGFANu7wVm2tj7k1IjNVas&hl=en&sa =X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=pleistocene%20evolution%20in%20%20jamaica&f=false
h. It may not be totally "right" and the Flora may be pre-Quaternary but it seems better than Holocene!

Author Durian
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 13 Jul 2015 20:05 | Edited by: Durian 
I have question on new connection "Forced labour during WWII" is the forced labour include POW or just only civilian?

If only civilian I would like to propose Auschwitz - as a forced labour camp, but if include POW, I would like to add Singapore Botanic Garden - Australian POW built brick steps to Plant House

Author elsslots
Admin
#25 | Posted: 14 Jul 2015 01:03 
Durian:
is the forced labour include POW or just only civilian?

I'll accept both! I've added the two sites.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 15 Jul 2015 04:58 
Cultural Sites located in a Desert

Do these apply?

Colorado Plateau (High-desert)

Chaco Culture (USA)
Mesa Verde (USA)

Chihuahuan Desert

Paquime (Mexico)

Author elsslots
Admin
#27 | Posted: 15 Jul 2015 05:13 | Edited by: elsslots 
Strict Nature Reserve
Burkhan Khaldun
Khan Khentii Strictly Protected Area
> this is not a strict reserve as per the definition (IUCN category Ia), it is Ib (wilderness area)
http://www.protectedplanet.net/khan-khentii-strictly-protected-areas

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 15 Jul 2015 05:18 
winterkjm:
Cultural Sites located in a Desert

I presume that the definition of "Cultural sites" is deliberately intended to Exclude MIXED sites?
But there is still a problem of what constitutes "Located IN a desert"
a. What is a "desert"
b. What does "located IN" mean - so - is a series of Oases as in M'zab Valley still located in a "desert" - or Ghadames? What about Mogao Caves - in a river valley but "in the desert landscape of Gansu Province". Caral Supe is also in a river valley but situated "On a dry desert terrace"
Has it got to be totally "in" or partially "in" -parts of the Silk Rd and Great Wall are situated in deserts as well as a major aspect of the Land of Frankincense at Shisr

Other suggestions
Al Hijr
Tadrart Acacus
Humberstone and Sta Laura
Nazca Lines

Author elsslots
Admin
#29 | Posted: 15 Jul 2015 05:23 
Solivagant:
winterkjm: Cultural Sites located in a Desert

I almost had chosen "Desert Cultural Landscapes" for this connection, but did not want to exclude sites that are not cultural landscapes.
So (just thinking now), there must be something in the OUV related to the desert. Such as "transhumance
that reflects the dry desert environment" (Maymand).

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 15 Jul 2015 07:27 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
there must be something in the OUV related to the desert.

Just had a look at those already "connected" and a few of the "contenders". I have only used the Cultural Criteria for mixed sites
a. "Incense route of the Negev" Crit v "The almost fossilized remains of towns, forts, caravanserais and sophisticated agricultural systems strung out along the Incense Route in the Negev desert, display an outstanding response to a hostile desert environment and one that flourished for five centuries."
b. Maymand - Crit v "reflects a traditional three phase transhumance system with unusual troglodytic winter housing in a dry desert environment.
c. Hail -None of the draft criteria as in the AB eval mention "desert"
d. Wadi Rum. Crit v "WRPA assists the understanding of the continuum of settled and mobile lifestyles in a desert landscape illustrating the adaptability and ingenuity of human communities who have made the most of scarce resources to sustain continuous presence after the climate became dryer in the Bronze Age (3rd millennium BC)."
e. Al Hijr - None
f. Tadrart - I can find no "official statement" of Criteria for this early inscription?
g. Humberstone - "desert" not mentioned in any of the Crit
h. Nazca - No "official Criteria but not mentioned in the 3 draft criteria by ICOMOS in the AB eval
i. Mzab "bear witness, by their exceedingly original architecture dating from the beginning of the 11th century and by their rigour and organization, to an outstanding and original occupation model for human settlements of the cultural area of central Sahara." (but doesn't say "sahara Desert"!! (but is this just "luck" - the Negev one could jsut as easily have just said ..."of the Negev"!!
j. Mogao - "desert" not mentioned" in Crit
k Caral Supe- "desert" not mentioned
l Chaco Culture "desert" not mentioned only "The Chaco Canyon sites graphically illustrate the architectural and engineering achievements of the Chacoan people, who overcame the harshness of the environment of the southwestern United States to found a culture that dominated the area for more than four centuries."
m. Mesa Verde - "desert" not mentioned in Crit
n. Paquime - " desert" not mentioned" in crit
o. Ghadames - can't find the OUV crit -even though it is called "Pearl of the desert"!!!

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Out or in doubt #28

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑