I came across this document about filling the Geological Gaps etc - we may well have seen it before but I don't particularly remember it. http://www.geoconservation.com/conference/Docs/WHGeol.pdf
It includes a partial assignment of WHS (as of 2004) to Geological time periods.
2 issues arise
a. Some differences in periods chosen.
They have divided the Palaeozoic. We perhaps should consider?
b. Some diffferences in assignment.
Grand Canyon - they have assigned to Permian (Palaeozoic) -but we have it much later in Miocene.
Mammoth Cave - they have as Carboniferous we have as Cretaceous
There may be some other differences but I was getting lost with all my "tabs" so it seems better to record this "so far"!!
I have cut and pasted the list here - with blank periods as in the original and with my inserted "groupings"Quaternary
- Naracoorte (Australia) 170k years Pliocene Miocene
- Riversleigh (Australia)15/25m years Oligocene Eocene
- Messel Pit (Germany) 27/29m years Palaeocene
- Dinosaur Park (Canada) 75m years Jurassic
- Dorset/E.Devon (U.K) Triassic
- Dorset/E.Devon (U.K.) , Ischigualasto-Talampaya (Argentina), Monte San Georgio, (Swit))
- Grand Canyon (USA) Carboniferous
- Mammoth Cave (USA) 300m years Devonian
- Miguasha (Canada) 370m years Silurian Ordovician
- Gros Morne (Canada) 500m years Cambrian
- Burgess Shale (Canada) 520m years Precambrian