World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Geological Dating

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next »

Author Assif
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 12:54 
It would be great if we could have a page with the natural and mixed sites missing a good timeline assignment (same as those with no reviews or no official website).

Author elsslots
Admin
#32 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 13:26 
Assif:
same as those with no reviews or no official website

do you maybe still have the link to one of those? i don't remember anymore (and need an example to programme something like it)

Author elsslots
Admin
#33 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 13:32 
Solivagant:
All sorts of qs of course about our assignments and why!!

We've got nothing from the Paleocene! Talk about Filling the Gaps...

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 13:36 
elsslots:
same as those with no reviews or no official website

do you maybe still have the link to one of those? i don't remember anymore (and need an example to programme something like it)

http://www.worldheritagesite.org/allnolink.php

Author elsslots
Admin
#35 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 14:02 
Assif:
It would be great if we could have a page with the natural and mixed sites missing a good timeline assignment

Here it is: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/allnotimeline.php

Author Assif
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 14:28 
Great work Els!
To this list I would like to add three connections I am unsure about: Dolomites, Maloti Drakensberg and Skocjan.
It would be great if people could help fill up this gap in this website (and of course you Solivagant).

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 14:58 
Sundarbans - Both Indian and Bangladeshi

The Sundarbans are Holocene and are still being created/destroyed-
http://www.portal.gsi.gov.in/portal/page?_pageid=127,721772&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTA L
"The tract of the Sundarbans is of recent origin, raised by the deposition of sediments formed due to soil erosion in the Himalayas. The substratum consists mainly of Quaternary Era sediments, sand and silt mixed with marine salt deposits and clay. Geologists have detected a southeastern slope and tilting of the Bengal basin during the Tertiary. Because of neo-tectonic movements during the 10th-12th century AD, the Bengal Basin titled eastward. Evidence from borehole studies indicate that while the westernside of the Sundarbans is relatively stable, the southeastern corner is an active sedimentary area and is subsiding."

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 15:08 
Kaziranga
Holocene

"What Kaziranga is today was perhaps once the main channel of the red river which habitually changed its course over the century due to earthquakes at various points of time....This volatile movement of the river is surely responsible for the heavy deposition of silt and the simultaneous formation of beels of various lengths and depths in this area. The landmasses formed by the heavy deposition of silt in this riverine area thus gradually stabilised with the natural growth of saccharum and other grass species. The swift and unpredictable river still erodes a large portion of the land mass, particularly in those areas where bigger trees have not yet sprung up...this on-going process of erosion and deposition of silt on the northern boundary of the park, which is the Brahmaputra river itself. "

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 15:30 
Western Ghats

We seem to have a choice!!
Jurassic
" The Western Ghats region demonstrates speciation related to the breakup of the ancient landmass of Gondwanaland in the early Jurassic period; secondly to the formation of India into an isolated landmass and the thirdly to the Indian landmass being pushed together with Eurasia" (Nom File)

OR ?????

Cretaceous
"The Western Ghats are not true mountains, but are the faulted edge of the Deccan Plateau. They are believed to have been formed during the break-up of the super continent of Gondwana some 150 million years ago. Geophysicists Barron and Harrison from the University of Miami advocate the theory that the west coast of India came into being somewhere around 100 to 80 mya after it broke away from Madagascar. After the break-up, the western coast of India would have appeared as an abrupt cliff some 1,000 m (3,300 ft) in elevation" (Wiki)

Author Assif
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 16:47 | Edited by: Assif 
Re: Western Ghats
I would go for Jurassic as the break up of Gondwana at the time is what directly led to the development of an isolated habitat in what would later become southern India. This unique speciation is the cause of OUV.

Author elsslots
Admin
#41 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 23:25 
I added Wadden Sea - Holocene

The Wadden Sea has evolved over the last
8,000 years being a very young ecosystem in
geomorphological and evolutionary terms (nom file)

Author elsslots
Admin
#42 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 23:46 | Edited by: elsslots 
Assif:
Dolomites, Maloti Drakensberg and Skocjan.

I can't add those without deleting the existing connection with a timeline

But I looked into Dolomites, and Triassic is right I believe. It's all over the nomination file, and also described here http://www.colletts.co.uk/factsheets/geology.pdf
"the geological landscape is largely dominated by
the majestic Triassic carbonates, making the area a classical
one for the early Mesozoic stratigraphy"

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 13 Oct 2013 03:27 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Socotra Miocene

"..comprises an..igneous basement from the Pre-Cambrian Era and a complex of early Palaeozoic rocks which are overlain by a mantle of limestones ...from the Cretaceous and Eocene Age..... The continental promontory on which Socotra is located separated from Africa some 36mya at the same time as the rifting which created the Gulf of Aden" (Nom File)

Victoria Falls (Zambian and Zimbabwean!) Gelasian
"Since the upliftiing of the Makdadikgadi Pan area some 2 mya the Zambesi.... has been cutting through the basalt .... and forming a series of retreating gorges" (AB)
PS - I am rather "uncomfortable" about using terms like "Gelasian" in this and many other examples. It and the other "age"/"stage" terms were at least originally stratigraphic terms and NO "stratigraphy" is involved in this (Vic Falls) case for instance. No one else seems to be using them in this context in any scientific papers i am coming across - Why not???. I fully understand the desire to split up the Pleistocene era but feel that an alternative approach like Early/mid/late would be better. See pages 48/9 of this document which I came across whilst looking into the periods to be used for Okovango, Victoria Falls and Mana Pools
http://www.biodiversityfoundation.org/documents/Chap02_Geomorphology_whole.pdf
I would be happier if we could find some examples of the use of these terms in a geo-chronology sense by expert Geologists! We could just be demonstrating our ignorance of the matter!

Author elsslots
Admin
#44 | Posted: 13 Oct 2013 10:39 
I have been looking at Te Wahipounamu, which is clearly Pleistocene. But it even is difficult to pinpoint it to mid or late (early seems to be an uncommon attribute to Pleistocene).

So Gelasian/Calabrian would become Early, Ionian Middle and Tarantian Late.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Pleistocene

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 13 Oct 2013 11:25 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
(early seems to be an uncommon attribute to Pleistocene).

I have come across the phrase/word "Plio-pleistocene" meaning either BOTH Pliocene AND Pleistocene OR meaning a period straddling the 2

This article shows (at least) 3 different standards (plus regional approaches) for dividing Pleistocene and use of the word "Proposed" for Calabrian etc (as well as "Italian workers have proposed Calabrian") would seem to show that the "named after places" is not (yet??) widely accepted
http://quaternary.stratigraphy.org/definitions/pleistocenesubdivision/

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Geological Dating

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑