World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Geological Dating

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next »

Author Assif
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 09:06 
I think it would be better to have Holocene as a connection additional to the millenia and centuries. Thus we can have both the advantage of being able to compare the chronology of natural and cultural sites and on the other hand show that in geological terms the last 10.000 do not merit any subdivision from a geological perspective.
Holocene sites would be:
Belize reef, Ilulissat, Strutsey, High Coast, Reunion, Srebarna.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 09:21 | Edited by: Solivagant 
We once thought of showing a "timeline" of all WHS on the Web site. It was a good idea to make a start by utilising the "Connection" part of the system to stash the assignments of time period and to do this at approx century levels BUT we can still only see the "contents" of each century/millenium by clicking on each separate "Connection" and thus lack that "continuity" view across adjacent centuries provided by a genuine timeline.

I wonder now whether we could return to designing a more traditional "time line" display format which enables one easily to see sites in adjacent centuries/millenia as well. I fully appreciate that fancy layouts are somewhat harder to produce in HTML than simple lists and recognise the need to keep any design as simple as possible!!.

a. There could be a new high level feature called "Timeline" (at the level of Category, Connection, Forum etc) which returns the entire WHS population, sequenced by timeline period and ideally displaying at least some additional information.
b. Most of our Timeline periods contain fewer than 20 WHS and often far fewer - only the most recent centuries have 40 or 50 with a maximum of 83 (16th C). We need an optimum way of showing the sites within each timeline period.
c. At its simplest (and most similar to the existing standard page layout) would be the "single column" approach with a heading for each timeline period and under it a list in e.g Alpha sequence of each site within it - possibly with country and relevant explanatory text for each.
d. Unfortunately that would make some centuries quite long "page-wise" and reduce the "continuity" impact (an "A" WHS in one century could be a long way up from a "Y" site in the next Century!!). Another approach could be to have multiple columns for each time period which at say 4 WHS across per line would make the average century only 4 or 5 lines long and would thus permit some 5 to 10 adjacent centuries to be seen on a page at a time. This layout would, however, reduce space for explanatory text and that would be unfortunate as the text is often important to understand the assignment (our judgements were often opaque or finely tuned!!). I guess the text (and the country??) could be displayable via a "mouse-over" rather than always showing??

The work would of course be yours to do Els - what do you think?

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 09:38 
Solivagant:
a. There could be a new high level feature called "Timeline" (at the level of Category, Connection, Forum etc) which returns the entire WHS population, sequenced by timeline period and ideally displaying at least some additional information.

I don't understand precisely what you mean. We can have what now is the group of connections called Timeline at a higher hierarchy level of course (in the same menu to the left as forum, connections etc).

But how would I display the periods/centuries? all on one page?
the pages lack width for having a traditional timeline (or should I do it vertically?)

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 09:40 
elsslots:
or should I do it vertically?)

I think I understand - vertically like this which is sorted by country (that would become the period) : http://www.worldheritagesite.org/worldheritagelist.html

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 09:47 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
vertically like this which is sorted by country (that would become the period)

Yes like that -but ideally with more columns. I don't know how "fixed" your "house style" pale brown LHS is - it uses up "space" of course?!
The traditional "Timeline" does run left to right horizontally and that is certainly the more "natural" but I have absolutely no idea how easy it might be to program left to right scrolling. And you would still need up/down scrolling as well for deep pages. Or does it get looked after "automatically" if you define a page wide enough? Ideally what we need is a large virtual spreadsheet which is primarily "wide" but may well still be deeper than the standard screen "page" -and then the ability to navigate around it
The other "traditional" time line feature of course is to split the population in some way - eg by continent so that it is easy to see what is going on at the same time around the world. But that would seem to be "icing on the cake" stuff!.

Author elsslots
Admin
#21 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 10:06 

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 10:07 
Yes!

Author elsslots
Admin
#23 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 10:21 
It needs a double scroll (both horizontally and vertically) to fit for example the 16th century in. But it might work. I'll try to get the data in this template.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 10:36 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
It needs a double scroll (both horizontally and vertically) to fit for example the 16th century in.

If this were difficult you could assign sites above a 1 page maximum depth to "dummy periods" with the same title - either randomly/alphabetically or split them by Europe/Asia/ROW.
So for instance you would get 3 vertical columns for 16C (each called 16C) with 30 max in each - not ideal of course
Sites would still appear with a correct century in their own page.
Which raises another question - a "click" on a timelin entry for an individual site would need to take one to the correct column in the width of the new page -but is this any different from taking one to the correct "depth" which I am sure is done now sometimes?
Or you could leave the timeline entries in Connections as now as well?

Author elsslots
Admin
#25 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 10:55 
Still some minor issues, but I think it is working:
http://www.worldheritagesite.org/scroll.php

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 11:26 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
Still some minor issues

Yes - looks good. Using the spreadsheet analogy - you can "fix" column and row titles in Excel. Could you do that here? Another way is to put them top and bottom as few pages will be so deep as to as to have neither visible.
It is only the 16th c which is causing the problem really - it might be worth thinking of a sub solution for it

If we are not dividing up the horizontals by e.g Europe/Asia then there is no need to have row titles. Another way would be to divide up the depth of the page with lines? Or could at least sort by alpha within continent?

Author elsslots
Admin
#27 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 11:32 
Solivagant:
Or could at least sort by alpha within continent?

I don't have an attribute for "continent". Could add this with the countries of course, but do we want Reunion or Gough within Europe?

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 11:37 
Would we want a geographic or a "UNESCO" continent? My feeling is the former (ie Israel in Asia etc (and Turkey!) But not top of the list yet?

I am still thinking how best to handle these few "deep" centuries - Still wonder if having 2 columns for them isn't the best if it could be done easily?

Author elsslots
Admin
#29 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 11:39 
Solivagant:
if it could be done easily?

no it isn't

just added the mouseovers - so each site has a text on display to clarify the more specific date when you hold your mouse over the sitename

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 12 Oct 2013 11:44 
Mouseovers look really great -so much info on just 1 page!!!!
All sorts of qs of course about our assignments and why!!

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Geological Dating

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑