World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Out or in doubt #26

Page  Page 2 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 1 Jul 2013 10:17 
urban planning
São Francisco Square in the Town of São Cristóvão
it may be considered a remarkable symbiosis of the urban planning of cities of Portugal and Spain
Berlin Modernism Housing Estates

Author elsslots
Admin
#17 | Posted: 1 Jul 2013 12:12 | Edited by: elsslots 
kkanekahn:
Rice cultivationWulingyuanQadisha Valley

Not part of the OUV of these sites. Wulingyuan is a natural WHS (so no cultivation of any kind), and I don't believe they grow rice in Lebanon. Also no rice in the AB ev of Koutammakou

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 1 Jul 2013 12:37 
Dravidian Architecture - My Son Sanctuary, Bali water Temple, Vat Phou
>> might have been influenced by it, but I cannot find a source confirming that

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 1 Jul 2013 17:05 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Dravidian - Mahabodhi
See Wiki "The tallest tower is 55 metres (180 ft) tall. The construction uses the styles of Dravidian Architecture, as opposed to Nagara Temple styles."

With ref to the comment on "Nagara" above see this background on Indian Styles
"The Gupta period in the history of India was the revival period for Hinduism which had experienced a set back with the rise of Buddhism. In the seventh and the eighth century the Hindu school of architecture began to flourish.
There were number of temples built during 7th and the 8th century. Though the basic pattern of the temples; the Garbhagriha (sanctum sanctorum) for the idol; the Shikhara (prominent roof); flight of steps often built on a platform leading to the temple; and a porch covering the entrance to the temple, which is supported by carved pillars remained the same, one did see varieties in style as temple architecture in the North and South evolved.
The distinction between the North and South Indian style was based on the form and shape of Shikharas or the prominent roof and the distinctiveness of its decoration. The North Indian style is technically called the nagara and is marked by the curvilinear towers. The South Indian style, known as the dravida, has towers in the form of truncated pyramids. The third style, the vesara, combines in itself both the North Indian and South Indian styles."

Author Durian
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 2 Jul 2013 23:35 | Edited by: Durian 
Shinto - Nikko Connection

Els please amend - Kasuga Taisha is located in Nara, not in Nikko, the Shinto Sites in Nikko should be Toshogu, Futarasan, and saikyo bridge.

Also the guardian deity of the Shirakawago's Ogimachi village is housed in the Hachiman Shinto shrine, and Ainokura is at Jinoshi Shrine.

Author elsslots
Admin
#21 | Posted: 3 Jul 2013 00:57 
Bazaars:
Sites included here should be MONUMENTAL and COVERED.

I am in doubt about the ones below, as far as I can find they are mostly regular, open air markets. Any evidence otherwise (photos!) is appreciated:
- Kairouan-The souk (market place), in the Medina quarter, which is surrounded by walls
- Marrakesh has the largest traditional Berber market (souk) in Morocco, with some 18 souks selling wares ranging from traditional Berber carpetsto modern consumer electronics
- Souq Al-Melh in Sana'a
- Timbuktu

Author elsslots
Admin
#22 | Posted: 3 Jul 2013 01:17 
Tuareg:
Ghadames, Timbuktu, Agadez
>> although Tuareg live there, it needs a stronger link to the WHS to turn it into a separate connection; we already have them covered by "minority communities"

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 3 Jul 2013 03:12 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
Bazaars:
Sites included here should be MONUMENTAL and COVERED.

My understanding is that the Mochi Gate bazaars in Lahore (which are currently assigned to this Connection) are also NOT a "monumental" and "covered" structure but a series of narrow streets with traders. Similarly with other "bazaars" within the old city of Lahore (e.g Naulakha).
I also question whether any of them are inside the inscribed boundaries of "Lahore Fort and Shalimar Gardens". The UNESCO Web site doesn't have a map of this site, the very early AB evaluation is rather "thin" and there is no Nomination File but everything points to the inscription being very limited in area e.g from the AB "Lahore Fort, situated north-west of the' city,. Based on the 21 monuments preserved within its boundaries, it comprises the most beautiful repertory of the forms of Mughal architecture."

Author elsslots
Admin
#24 | Posted: 3 Jul 2013 03:37 
Durian:
Els please amend - Kasuga Taisha is located in Nara, not in Nikko, the Shinto Sites in Nikko should be Toshogu, Futarasan, and saikyo bridge.Also the guardian deity of the Shirakawago's Ogimachi village is housed in the Hachiman Shinto shrine, and Ainokura is at Jinoshi Shrine.

done

Solivagant:
Mochi Gate bazaars in Lahore

deleted

Author elsslots
Admin
#25 | Posted: 3 Jul 2013 04:02 
Notable wine cellars:
Wuerzburg Residence, Budapest (Buda Castle), Tokaji
>> Neither wiki nor the AB ev mention wine cellars at Wurzburg or Buda Castle. so I guess they are not very special in relation to the value of the WHS. Also: most vineyards will have wine cellars of some sort, and I don't want a copy of that connection

Author elsslots
Admin
#26 | Posted: 3 Jul 2013 04:03 
Vegetable gardens :
-Aranjuez
-Costiera Amalfitana
-Serra de Tramuntana

Orchard :
-Agrigento
-Costiera Amalfitana
-Shushtar

>> these both are a bit too trivial to my taste

Author elsslots
Admin
#27 | Posted: 3 Jul 2013 04:05 
Marble :
-Cidade Velha
-Fort and Shalamar Gardens
-Golestan Palace : Marble Throne
-Kairouan
-Monasteries of Daphni, Hosios Loukas and Nea Moni of Chios
-St. Petersburg : Marble Palace
-Studenica Monastery
-Taj Mahal

I would welcome a marble-related connection of some sort, but we really have to think about the criteria as there are so many sites with marble elements.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 3 Jul 2013 05:16 
What happened to the natural connection precedence?

All the latest connection are great, but most are primarily cultural. Are their any other great natural or geographical connections we could come up with?

Author Durian
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 3 Jul 2013 21:14 
winterkjm:
Are their any other great natural or geographical connections we could come up with?

How about geyser? We already had hot spring connection but few hot springs have geyser. I can come up with Yellowstone (Old Faithful), Khamchatka (Valley of Geysers), Rift Valley (Lake Bogorta) and Shiretoko (Rausu Kanketsusen).

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 4 Jul 2013 03:25 
elsslots:
I would welcome a marble-related connection of some sort, but we really have to think about the criteria as there are so many sites with marble elements.

Perhaps the WHS where the word "marble" clearly appears in the brief description, when the presence of marble is really explicit.

We have a connection to the brick or wood, for example, but nothing on the marble, though sites such as the Taj Mahal are closely related to this material of construction.

Page  Page 2 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Out or in doubt #26

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑