World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Out or in doubt #25

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#76 | Posted: 11 Jun 2013 13:17 | Edited by: Solivagant 
kkanekahn:
Thanks for the information but I don't think Morelia is an example of modern town planning.

I never said it was!! I listed all those sites where the words "Urban" or "Town" and "Planning" occurred and then commented
Possible "tunes" one could play on this basic approach include
a. Only include examples after a particular date i.e "Modern"

I speaking personally am not sure whether, if we adopted the proposal that ALL sites which "claim" Town or Urban Planning as part of their OUV that it is then necessary to limit them only to those from an arbitrary couple of centuries, since the number of sites do not appear too great. Grand Bassam, Lunenberg, Cienfuegos, Rabat (New town), Tel Aviv AND Morelia all claim via their OUV to say something useful about newly planned "colonial" cities even though they span a range of centuries! Why limit the period?

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#77 | Posted: 11 Jun 2013 14:09 
Solivagant:
Grand Bassam, Lunenberg, Cienfuegos, Rabat (New town), Tel Aviv AND Morelia all claim via their OUV to say something useful about newly planned "colonial" cities even though they span a range of centuries! Why limit the period?

Earlier I also wanted to include some cities planned in 16th and 17th cent(like zamosc, st petersberg) but Els thought it would be long connection.

"Today I added the Connection "Garden City Movement", which is a specific example of modern urban planning. I prefer this above a very long connection about everything modern constructed during the last 250 years."

Therefore I decide to limit the period to make the list short.

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#78 | Posted: 11 Jun 2013 14:23 
Solivagant:
if we adopted the proposal that ALL sites which "claim" Town or Urban Planning as part of their OUV that it is then necessary to limit them only to those from an arbitrary couple of centuries,

If you make such list then it would be like a monster. It will include from Moenjodaro(3rd millennium b.c.) to brasilia(1960) and it would be impossible to create such a list.

I also think that modern urban planning also defers a lot from those of 16th-17th cent.Therefore I wanted to create a list of modern urban planning which limits in only 19th and 20th century so that list would be precise.

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#79 | Posted: 11 Jun 2013 15:51 | Edited by: kkanekahn 
So, now we have 18 sites in this category (which may be extended)
Grand Bassam, Lunenberg, Cienfuegos, Rabat (New town), Tel Aviv,Le Havre, Edinburgh, Nord Pas de Calais, Brasilia, Paris, Saltaire, Prague, UNAM, Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas, La Chaux-de-Fonds / Le Locle, Vienna, Essaouira,Riga

Now I want to know your opinion about inclusion of
1)some other capitals like Budapest
2)St Petersburg (Which can be easily considered as modern planned city due to vast urban project, Landscape and Suburban building which can easily suppress any city built in 18th cent or before and can easily be considered as a modern planned town)
3)Port cities of Liverpool and Valparaíso
4)Berlin house-UNESCO SAYS
The property is an outstanding example of the building reform movement that contributed to improving housing and living conditions for people with low incomes through novel approaches to town planning, architecture and garden design.
Can only 6 houses be an example of town planning??

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#80 | Posted: 11 Jun 2013 17:49 | Edited by: Solivagant 
kkanekahn:
Can only 6 houses be an example of town planning??

They are a bit "more" than "6 houses" - rather "6 estates". The statement quoted is found in the introductory description rather than in the Statement of OUV. So there is a need to define the "Rules".

kkanekahn:
If you make such list then it would be like a monster. It will include from Moenjodaro(3rd millennium b.c.) to brasilia(1960) and it would be impossible to create such a list.

Perhaps not such a "monster" or so "impossible"! I have just trawled through the 196 sites whose OUV Statements are up for consideration this year. They represent, presumably reasonably randomly in respect of this issue, a bit over 20% of all sites. I found that 8 of them (including 1 we have already included specify "Town" or "Urban Planning" in their OUV statement so that could mean around 35-40 across all WHS. In response to a query above - this includes Riga
Ping Yao
Criterion (ii): The townscape of Ancient City of Ping Yao excellently reflects the evolution of architectural styles and town planning in Imperial China over five centuries with contributions from different ethnicities and other parts of China.
Fatehpur Sikri
Criterion (ii): The construction of Fatehpur Sikri exercised a definite influence on the evolution of Mughal town planning, namely, Shahjahanabad.
Cuenca
Critère (ii): Cuenca illustre la parfaite implantation des principes de planification urbaine de la Renaissance aux Amériques.
Antigua
Criterion (iii): Antigua Guatemala is one the earliest and outstanding examples of city planning in Latin America in which the basic grid plan, dating from 1543, has been maintained. Its religious, private and government buildings are outstanding evidences of Spanish colonial architecture in Antigua.
Morelia
Critère (ii): Le Centre historique de Morelia est un exemple exceptionnel de planification urbaine qui associe les idées de la Renaissance espagnole à l'expérience méso-américaine.
Oaxaca
Criterion (i): Oaxaca was the first town laid out in the New Spain during the XVI century with square blocks of 100 yards per side and planned from a central square. The icons of economic, political and religious powers were built around this central place, giving the city dynamism and contributing to universal urbanism. The grid layout of the city of Oaxaca is a unique example of urban planning in New Spain in the sixteenth century
Riga
Criterion (i): The medieval and later-period urban planning structure of the Historic Centre of Riga, as well as the quantity and quality of Art Nouveau architecture, which is unparalleled anywhere in the world, and the 19th century wooden architecture make it of Outstanding Universal Value. The Historic Centre of Riga has the finest
concentration of Art Nouveau architecture in the world.
Edinburgh
Already covered.

Budapest was a bit "ambiguous" but could "get in" if we stretched the allowable wording somewhat "Criterion iv........Andrássy Avenue (1872–1885) and the Millenary Underground Railway (1893 – 1896) are representative examples of the implementation of planning solutions associated with the latest technical facilities of the day to meet the requirements of an emerging modern society"

Regarding Moenjodaro - it doesn't yet have a statement of OUV and isn't included in this year's additions. The UNESCO "Brief description" states "The ruins of the huge city of Moenjodaro – built entirely of unbaked brick in the 3rd millennium B.C. – lie in the Indus valley. The acropolis, set on high embankments, the ramparts, and the lower town, which is laid out according to strict rules, provide evidence of an early system of [i]town planning."[/i]

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#81 | Posted: 11 Jun 2013 22:21 
Solivagant:
The statement quoted is found in the introductory description rather than in the Statement of OUV. So there is a need to define the "Rules".

There are many world heritage sites which do not have any Statement of OUV.Therefore I think we should also go through description.Because if we only go through criteria and ouv then we may miss some valuable whs to this connection

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#82 | Posted: 11 Jun 2013 23:30 
Solivagant:
They represent, presumably reasonably randomly in respect of this issue, a bit over 20% of all sites. I found that 8 of them (including 1 we have already included specify "Town" or "Urban Planning" in their OUV statement so that could mean around 35-40 across all WHS.

If we only consider OUV or Criteria then we will miss some important whs like Brasilia and other whs which does not have any statement of ouv.
If we go through Description then the list will be a lengthy one which include Shibam (Criterion iv),Verona,Timgad (Criterion ii),Damascus,Lyons,Moenjodaro,Bath (Criterion ii-Influence garden city town planners),Historic Centre (Old Town) of Tallinn(Criterion ii),Bamberg,Lamu,Oporto,Campeche,Oaxaca,Valletta,Djémila(Criterion iii),Anjar(Criterion iv).
and many more.
There are many other cities which use the word grid plan and if we include those then it may include Santo Domingo,Island of Saint-Louis, Trogir,Guanajuato,Historic Bridgetown, Perge

The urban planning of Djémila and Moenjodaro differs a lot from modern cities like Tel aviv or Brasilia. So,I agree with Els to limit the period so that only modern cities will be included and the list will be short.

I also decided to include Yaroslavl which make the list to 19
Yaroslavl
Criterion (iv): Yaroslavl is an outstanding example of the town-planning reform ordered by Empress Catherine The Great in the whole of Russia, implemented between 1763 and 1830.

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Out or in doubt #25

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑