World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Out or in doubt #24

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Author elsslots
Admin
#76 | Posted: 4 Mar 2013 12:07 
Open air museum:
A museum which displays entire village or towns and people used to live there.
Pompeii, Khiva, Vlkolinec, Colonia
>> there could be a connection in here somewhere, but I do not agree that these are open air museums - neither of them were developed as a museum. Calling these 4 open air museums is just tourist brochure stuff. Khiva, Vlkolinec and Colonia are normal towns where people live in and have always lived.

There are some good definitions of "open air museum" at the wiki page, for example
"Most open-air museums specialize in the collection and re-erection of old buildings at large outdoor sites, usually in settings of re-created landscapes of the past." It's about the re-creation and re-erection of the past.
(the list that follows on the wiki-page I do not agree with either)

I'm open to other opinions on this subject of course.

Author elsslots
Admin
#77 | Posted: 4 Mar 2013 12:51 
4999) Relict Cultural Landscapes
Mapungubwe

>>Probably right, but we need proof. "Only sites categorised as such in UNESCO documentation are included." It's not in the AB ev.

Author elsslots
Admin
#78 | Posted: 6 Mar 2013 23:59 
Comments: architectural design competitions:
Paris - Garnier won a competition to design the national opera in 1860.
>> added the new connection, but Palais Garnier is outside of the Paris WHS I believe

Author elsslots
Admin
#79 | Posted: 7 Mar 2013 00:04 
Comments: towns and villages with entry fees:
Vlkolinec, Kaiping Diaolou, Khiva
>> this is a real tricky one: I would say Yes to Vlkolinec, but No to the other two: Kaiping is a county, where some of the groups of diaolou require entrance fees and others do not; in Khiva an entrance fee is needed to visit the interior of buildings, but not to just walk around.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#80 | Posted: 7 Mar 2013 06:05 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
That is interesting regarding Khiva. All my guidebooks (they are getting a little old now) are disparaging about the atmosphere of visiting Khiva as they say Itchan Kala is run like a museum and devoid of real people.
It certainly is a positive if it is now more of a real town! That has reinvigorated me to start working on plans for a visit, will have to talk to the Missis.

Author elsslots
Admin
#81 | Posted: 7 Mar 2013 14:23 
meltwaterfalls:
about the atmosphere of visiting Khiva

there's not really an atmosphere, it's not like Bukhara; but there are shops, and locals biking around with a huge Uzbek bread in their hands etc.

Author elsslots
Admin
#82 | Posted: 10 Mar 2013 03:14 | Edited by: elsslots 
Looking into a new Connection for "industrial landscapes", that could include Iwami, Cornwall/West Devon, Roros etc

2 questions:
- what should be the definition?
- will this hold other WHS than the mining category : http://www.worldheritagesite.org/categories/category37.html ?

Author elsslots
Admin
#83 | Posted: 10 Mar 2013 03:19 | Edited by: elsslots 
A new connection for "Fungi" was suggested: Sites where the presence of fungi is evident.
-Causses and CÚvennes : Penicillium roqueforti
-Gunung Mulu : over 4,000 species of fungi have been recorded within the property
-Surtsey : scientists have observed the arrival of seeds carried by ocean currents, the appearance of moulds, bacteria and fungi

I am no biologist, but I always thought that fungi are present everywhere. Can we turn this into a worthwhile connection?

Author Assif
Partaker
#84 | Posted: 10 Mar 2013 07:10 
Re: Industrial landscape - not only mining: Tequila, Chaux de Fond...

Re: Mapungubwe: defined by Unesco as a cultural landscape and as an archaeological site it is not a living culture, hence has to be relict cultural landscape per definition.

Author elsslots
Admin
#85 | Posted: 12 Mar 2013 01:25 
(5028) Grid plan
- Medina of Essaouira
- Punic Town of Kerkuane and its Necropolis
- Riga

Please provide sources for these, I can't find it

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#86 | Posted: 12 Mar 2013 07:57 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I never realised that it is the new parts of Riga that are the basis for its inscription. I knew the Art Nouveau there was impressive, but from reading the evaluation this is the main reason for its inscription.
The evaluation doesn't categorically state it is on a grid plan, but goes to lengths to stress the wide boulevards and rational layout, and if you look it is definitely on a grid plan (except the core of the old town, but these are only additional to the new aspects that form the core of the OUV).

From what I remember of Essaouira it was a lot more rational than any other medina I have visited, it is also based on St Malo which is on a rigid grid plan. Having had a look at the evaluation it mentions the checker board layout, and something called the Cornut Plan relating to the architect/ mathematician and his implementation of a grid plan at Essaouira.

Kerkuane is a little tougher. It certainly is logically planned and the buildings are mostly rectangular. However if you look at the plan of the ruins you can see there are curved and some clusters of buildings don't fit the overall pattern. Personally I think it is a reasonable to think of it as a grid. Incidentally this is a lovely little site to visit I would thoroughly recommend heading there if you are in Tunisia.

That grid plan one could turn into a bit of a monster. Most colonial towns (ancient - modern) will be on grid plans.
Just off the top of my head I can think of: Beemster, Krakow, Mohenjo-daro, Gyongju (if bits of the town are covered), Pingyao, Hue, Angkor,Ile St Louis, Grand Bassam, Quito, Mexico City, Carthage, Lima, Saltaire, Berlin Modernist Estates, Crespi d'Adda, Siracusa, Val di Noto, Lyon, Gaudi Buildings (l'Eixample is a key example of grid planning), Tel Aviv ? (not sure on that one), Carcassone, Pompei, Naples, Castles of Gwyndd...

I could go on, so not sure if we want to have a stricter definition, or want to go whole hog and have everything that is on a grid plan, which could be a bit of a task, but perhaps worthwhile.

Author elsslots
Admin
#87 | Posted: 12 Mar 2013 11:42 
meltwaterfalls:
That grid plan one could turn into a bit of a monster

I do agree with you. Would be interested if someone comes up with a stricter definition, otherwise I'll delete the connection within a day or 2.

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Out or in doubt #24

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑