World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

Out or In Doubt #21

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#91 | Posted: 4 Jan 2012 04:36 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Regarding the above comments - I think the main point is taken - that where "cliffs" are just a part of a site there should be some "cultural" link to them beyond their mere existence and that, for added value to all of us, this link should be cited/explained. My only further point would be that any mention of "cliffs" in the Nomination File or AB evaluation should be more than a simple "geographical description" of where the site is or what it looks like but should establish some significant "cultural" aspect.

There is I guess an issue about cultural value assigned to "cliffs" post hoc as in the case of Hahoe. I don't think it is suggested that the cliffs were important in the founding of Hahoe but rather that the cliff has acquired cultural value over time which is worthwhile us knowing about when trying to understand Hahoe in total. As such I accept the Connection.

There will be some cultural sites which are so self evidently all about "cliffs" (Buffalo Jump and Meteora for instance) that further justification shouldn't be required.

Whilst not being totally "hardline" about this connection we will avoid a lot of double counting with other rock related connections if we tighten its definition a bit . But there are still some problems/issues to clarify. I looked at Dazu - rock cut carvings which are in a cliff and the AB evaluation states "The cliff that houses the carvings is c 545m above sea-level, in a region of wooded mountain peaks". Now clearly the carvings couldn't have been carved into a cliff face without a cliff!! But, should that be enough to justify the Connection"? Does this put it in the Buffalo Jump/Meterora category?

Reagrding further castles which are on a cliff . I discovered the following
Durham
The AB evaluation uses the somewhat inaccurate term "butte" for the location of the Cathedral/Castle but this use of the word "cliff" from elsewhere is failry common in descriptions of the Cathedral's location (as painted by Turner of course!) "Durham Cathedral stands on a rocky height bounded on the east, south, and west by a bend of the river Wear. To the north and south of the cathedral the level space is considerable, but the building occupies the whole extent of the level ground from east to west, the buttresses of the westernmost portion actually descending the face of the cliff some forty feet, whence the thickly wooded slope descends rapidly to the river."

Castles of Gwynedd
"Harlech Castle, located in Harlech, Gwynedd, Wales, is a concentric castle, constructed atop a cliff close to the Irish Sea." (Wiki)

Edinburgh
"Edinburgh Castle is a fortress which dominates the skyline of the city of ... with rocky cliffs to the south, west and north, rearing up to 80 metres" (Wiki)

Author elsslots
Admin
#92 | Posted: 4 Jan 2012 12:30 
2 more in doubt:

Uninhabited islands
*Everglades National Park "The southern part of the Ten Thousands Islands, south of Everglades City, is in Everglades National Park. Almost all of the Ten Thousand Islands are currently uninhabited." - wiki
>> we have limited this connection to sites that are islands or island groups (so to not include an uninhabited island within a larger site that is neither an island nor uninhabited)

Clock Tower
Brugge (Belfry)
>> This actually is a Bell Tower, although it also seems to have a clock. According to wiki, its original purpose was "an observation post for spotting fires and other danger"

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#93 | Posted: 4 Jan 2012 13:02 | Edited by: Solivagant 
"Scripts - Examples of writing systems from all over the world, including inscriptions and manuscripts"

Somehow/some time we seem to have started mixing "scripts" and "texts".
"Scripts" started off being a connection for WHS which had some significance for the "scripts" (i.e Writing systems/"alphabets", hieroglyphs etc) to be found there.
We also have "Multi-lingual inscriptions" which, almost by definition will include at least 1 "ancient script" - but there being a multi-lingual "translation" seemed to be a worthwhile connection even if it over-lapped with "scripts"
Recently however the Connection seems to be being used for literature, religious texts, manuscripts etc which have no particular significance relating to the script used.

If such texts are "significant" in their own right then it would seem better to create a separate connection - but there needs to be some way of separating a collection of "Texts" or "Manuscripts" from a "Library" which has 2 meanings in English -"A collection of writings" and "a Building for holding collections of literature". Again we seem to be flip-flopping between the 2!

Author Durian
Partaker
#94 | Posted: 4 Jan 2012 19:21 
elsslots:
Clock Tower
Brugge (Belfry)
>> This actually is a Bell Tower, although it also seems to have a clock. According to wiki, its original purpose was "an observation post for spotting fires and other danger"

True, I suggest we should limit to the tower specifically built as a clock tower, to avoid many belfry with clock, cathedral spire with clock etc.

Author elsslots
Admin
#95 | Posted: 5 Jan 2012 01:23 
Solivagant:
Somehow/some time we seem to have started mixing "scripts" and "texts".

I've now changed the title of the connection to "Writing systems", which is a more clear description of what it is about. And cleaned the list of entries.

Author Assif
Partaker
#96 | Posted: 5 Jan 2012 08:11 
Re: Cultural cliffs

Here are my suggestions for the more percise version of this connection (we should still think of a definition).

In: Wudang, Ksour, Bandagiara, Amalfi, Bamiyan, Danxia, Cuenca, Head-Smashed-In, Le Morne, Massada, Matera, Mesa Verde, Meteora, Mont Saint Michel, Mt Athos, Mt Emei, Cinque Terre, Qadisha, Rio Abiseo, Skelling Michael
All of these are initimately related with their cliff location.

Out: Hahoe, Quebrada, San Pedro, Tipasa, Vat Phou, Edinburgh, Durham

The ones I'm not sure of are: Gwynedd (Herlach), Koguryo kingdom and Mt Wuyi

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 Out or In Doubt #21

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑