World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

WHS Hotspots

Page  Page 9 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#121 | Posted: 16 Jul 2021 20:31 | Edited by: TaiTT 
It seems 7/11 of the components in the Linz hotspot (https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/Linz+Hotspot) fall into another hotspot and are closer to other hotspot centres and should be removed from the linz hotspot

Graz: Also in vienna hotspot closer to vienna
Prehistoric Pile Dwellings: In 8 other hotspots with better, closer serial components (I understand if you want this to remain)
Primeval Beach Forest: In 12 other Hotspots with better, closer serial components (I understand if you want this to remain)
Schöbrunn: In vienna hotspot, literally in vienna
Vienna: Literally the centre of the Vienna hotspot
Semmering Railway: Also in vienna hotspot, closer to Vienna
Wachau: Also in Vienna Hotspot, in between the two cities

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#122 | Posted: 16 Jul 2021 20:39 | Edited by: TaiTT 
The other 4 components can be added to other hotspots or left alone (if left alone beech forest, wachau and pile dwellings can join)
Salzburg: 2h30m from Vienna by train
Hallstatt: about 4 hours with transfer in Attnang-Puchheim from Vienna
Holasovice + Cesky Krumlov: Can probably be added into a new prague hotspot

Author elsslots
Admin
#123 | Posted: 19 Jul 2021 13:04 
nfmungard:
TaiTT:
I'm not sure if the southern levant (Eilat) Hotspot should exist as it literally states that St. Catherines area is no longer possible due to security reasons, along with that 3/4 require a major border crossing and are not possible by public transport

Yep. Borders are an issue with hotspots. See my comments re Suceava. Unless it's a green border, sites across real borders shouldnt be grouped into a hotspot. And public transport across hard borders tends to be limited.

Re Eilat: In peaceful times, I can see organized day trips having fast border transit. Peaseful no more.

Although I can understand the general point of easiness of border crossings, this really is a more common one than you'd think. Many Israelis visit the Sinai. There are numerous day trips on offer from Eilat, also when I researched a trip for April 2020. I will remove the comment of 2016, which isn't accurate anymore.

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#124 | Posted: 19 Jul 2021 13:08 | Edited by: TaiTT 
elsslots
Is Wadi Rum also doable?

Author elsslots
Admin
#125 | Posted: 19 Jul 2021 13:14 
TaiTT:
should be removed from the linz hotspot

done, also added a text that links Linz hotspot to the Vienna hotspot

Author elsslots
Admin
#126 | Posted: 19 Jul 2021 13:16 
TaiTT:
Is Wadi Rum also doable?

It is only 80km, so yeah.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#127 | Posted: Yesterday 20:27 | Edited by: Colvin 
I think we may have a new WHS hotspot in Rio de Janeiro:

Rio de Janeiro: Cultural landscape that includes Corcovado (with Christ the Redeemer), Sugar Loaf, and Copacabana beach

Valongo Wharf: Downtown at Jornal do Comércio Square

Sítio Roberto Burle Marx: Residence and gardens on outskirts of Rio, accessible via subway and public bus (~2-2.5 hours each way)

Paraty and Ilha Grande: Ilha Grande is accessible from Rio via bus and ferry several times a day (~3 hours, 50 minutes each way)

For the last one, Rome2Rio has transport information.

Page  Page 9 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 WHS Hotspots

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑