World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

WHS Hotspots

Page  Page 5 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »

Author Colvin
Partaker
#61 | Posted: 14 Aug 2019 20:45 
nfmungard:
Even if it feels wrong to base it in Washington D.C., but you probably have to do that for logistical reason.

Yup. To be safe, I checked the public transit times to Charlottesville from Philadelphia and Baltimore before submitting DC as the hotspot center, but neither Philadelphia or Baltimore worked out to allow transit one way in four hours or less. As for whether DC should ever get a World Heritage Site, I've probably visited the Mall too many times to have an unbiased opinion of its OUV; I don't particularly see it, but I appreciate outside perspectives.

For potential future US hotspots, should New York City gain one more World Heritage Site, or should Bethlehem, Pennsylvania's Moravian district be added as an extension of Denmark's Christiansfeld, both Philadelphia and New York City would be eligible as hotspots on the US East Coast.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#62 | Posted: 20 Oct 2019 03:50 
Luoyang should be a hotspot on its own:
* Longmen Grottoes
* Grand Canal
* Dengfeng
* Silk Road

High speed rail skews the picture a bit. I plan to do Luoyang and Ping Yao from Xi'an. I would argue for a Xi'an hotspot when/if the Chinese Sections of the Silk Road are inscribed separately.

Author Zos
Partaker
#63 | Posted: 20 Oct 2019 12:14 
nfmungard
We already have Zhengzhou Hotspot (with a grand canal component). We can rename it as Henan and Center can either be Zhengzhou or Luoyang.

What I would argue is to add the following to Beijing Hotspot.
* Yin Xu: Anyang East Railway station is less than 2.5 hours from Beijing. The station is less than an hour bus from the site
* Taishan: Tai'an Railway station is less than 2.5 hours away from Beijing. The station is an hour away from the mountain.
* Confucius sites in Qufu: Qufu East Railway station is 2.5 hours away from Beijing. The site is less than 30 mins from the station. (Both Taishan and Qufu can be visited in a long day trip from Beijing)

Early next year when the fast trains are opratiknal, both Chengde and Datong can be done as day trip from Beijing too.

Add Nanjing Hotspot
* Imperial Tombs - several tombs in Nanjing
* Suzhou Gardens - Suzhou is 1.5 hours away from Nanjing
* Grand Canal - Wuxi, Cangzhou, Suzhou are connected by trains from Nanjing
* Taishan - Tai'an Railway station is 2-3 hours fast train from Nanjing
* Qufu - Qufu east is less than 2.5 hours from Nanjing

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#64 | Posted: 20 Oct 2019 12:23 
Zos:
What I would argue is to add the following to Beijing Hotspot.

I think we shouldn't equate high speed rails with sites being part of the hotspot. 50% of Germany would be in the Frankfurt hotspot if we did. I am not sure how to/when to draw the line. Imho, a site should only be added for high speed connection if it's not part already of a more local hotspot.

Author Zos
Partaker
#65 | Posted: 20 Oct 2019 12:44 
nfmungard
Yup, I agree that high speed rail connections cannot be the main consideration. Most of the time I actually consider what else to see in the area aside from the WHS. my proposed additions to Beijing hotspot, way fits this consideration. There is not much to see in both Qufu and Tai'an, or Anyang. And besides, the travel time is comparable to visiting Great Wall by public transport. In my opinion, adding them to Beijing hotspot will help travellers plan their China trips. Most of the time, these sites are passed over since they seem far from the popular sites.

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#66 | Posted: 24 May 2021 20:08 
I was looking at the map and think a Kagoshima (Kyushu?) hotspot could be added
Yakushima- Hydrofoil takes roughly 2-3 hours
Sites of Meiji Restoration- Various components lie outside the city centre
Okinoshima- Hetsu-miya component is roughly 2.5 hours by train via transfer in Fukuoka
Christian sites of Nagasaki- First take the train to Izumi station (25 minutes) then take a bus to Kuranomoto port (65 minutes) take ferry to Ushibuka port (30 minutes) then take bus from Ushibuka to Sakitsu church(90 minutes) total; time 3h30m
All of these are less than 4 hours away be public transportation and under 300km away meaning i think it is eligible.

Author elsslots
Admin
#67 | Posted: 25 May 2021 13:45 
TaiTT:
Kagoshima (Kyushu?) hotspot

Good one, I will add it. With the quality of public transport in Japan these distances are plausible for a day trip (I checked the ferries, they go lots of times per day).

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#68 | Posted: 25 May 2021 18:52 | Edited by: TaiTT 
I checked for other Japanese hotspots but other than the four listed ones (Kagoshima, Tokyo Hiroshima Kyoto/Osaka), I don't think any other cities have a hotspot however i think Morioka could have a hotspot if Jomon sites are inscribed this year as it would have Jomon, Hiraizumi, Shirakami Sanchi and Meiji restoration (may be hard to visit by public transportation).

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#69 | Posted: 26 May 2021 00:08 | Edited by: TaiTT 
Two more hotspots

Saint Petersburg hotspot:
Historic centre of Saint Petersburg: self-explanatory
Pskov: 3 hour 30 minute by train
Novgorod: 2 hour 45 minute by train
Suomenlinna: 3 hour 30 minute by train to Helsinki (including border transfer) then take 15 minute ferry to the fortress

Tartu Hotspot:
Struve Geodetic Arc: Component lies near Tartu Observatory
Tallinn: 2 hour 30 minute by train to Tallinn
Pskov: 3 hour 30 minute by bus to Pskov
Riga: 3 hour 30 minute by bus or train to Riga

Saint Petersburg can also be added to Helsinki hotspot
The cross-russian border day-trips may be hard for a person from a western country that are only able to get a single entry visa, however for people from Visa-free countries it will be possible.

All of these are less than 4 hours away be public transportation and under 300km away being it should work like the previous Kagoshima Hotspot

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#70 | Posted: 27 May 2021 18:04 
L'viv Hotspot
L'viv: Self explanatory
Primeval Beech Forest: Take train to Bodrist then take a roughly 10 Km taxi ride to Roztochya Nature Reserve
Struve Geodetic Arc: Take the train to Khmelnytskyy and then take a Taxi (25 Km) to the Struve site outside of Hvardiiske
Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region: Zhovkha Tsekrvas is a 1h train ride from Lviv
I know two of these sites require a little private transportation but the distances of the private transportation are very small and they're all less than 4 hours and less than 300 kms away.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#71 | Posted: 28 May 2021 14:39 
TaiTT:
All of these are less than 4 hours away be public transportation and under 300km away being it should work like the previous Kagoshima Hotspot

I don't think hotspots across borders with visa requirements for most tourists (Russia) make sense.

TaiTT:
Struve Geodetic Arc: Take the train to Khmelnytskyy and then take a Taxi (25 Km) to the Struve site outside of Hvardiiske

Always a bit reluctant to count taking a cab. Doesn't feel like a simple hotspot.

TaiTT:
L'viv Hotspot

Zamosc would be in the hotspot if the bus connections were running more frequently. Again, its behind a not trivial to pass border.

TaiTT:
Zhovkha Tsekrvas is a 1h train ride from Lviv

Plenty of busses running, too

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#72 | Posted: 28 May 2021 15:12 
nfmungard
Doesn't Russia now offer Electronic Visa to most European countries making it a lot easier to travel to.
If we cut taxis I don't think we can have a Helsinki hotspot as their struve site requires a taxi (unless we can add saint Petersburg to it)

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#73 | Posted: 29 May 2021 00:25 
I have promised to myself not to deal with these hotspot issues any more because the rules are anything but clear and consistent, but I can share my local (Finnish) view.

Saint Petersburg hotspot –> Suomenlinna:
This is tight for four hours time limit, because from railway station is a tram ride or walk to the ferry port and then 15 minutes by ferry. Maybe it is barely doable.

Helsinki hotspot –> Saint Petersburg:
I think this should be in Helsinki hotspot, because it is very easy trip to the core zone. Back in the days before covid, lots of people did day trips from Helsinki to Saint Petersburg (for example for watching ice hockey games). And with a new evisa this should be even easier and cheaper.

BUT was there a 200 km limit, or 250 km (not 300 km)? Then this Saint Petersburg / Helsinki is out.

nfmungard:
Always a bit reluctant to count taking a cab. Doesn't feel like a simple hotspot.

Since private/rental car also counts, why not taxis.

TaiTT:
If we cut taxis I don't think we can have a Helsinki hotspot as their struve site requires a taxi (unless we can add saint Petersburg to it)

I agree.

Author elsslots
Admin
#74 | Posted: 30 May 2021 13:28 
TaiTT:

This is too much of a stretch, especially for what will not be more than a 10 minute visit to a Struve point:
- Rome2Rio tells me that it is a 4.5hr train ride from L'viv to Khmelnytskyy to get there at 15.20.
- Good luck finding a cab who will drive you to some Struve point he has never heard of.
- You'd need to be back at the railway station at 18.27 for the last train back (3.5 hr)

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#75 | Posted: 30 May 2021 13:39 
elsslots
The time i got for l'viv to Khmelnytskyy is 2h 57m however I do understand the point that most taxies can't find the struve site.

Page  Page 5 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 WHS Hotspots

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑