World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

WHS Hotspots

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Author Colvin
Partaker
#61 | Posted: 14 Aug 2019 20:45 
nfmungard:
Even if it feels wrong to base it in Washington D.C., but you probably have to do that for logistical reason.

Yup. To be safe, I checked the public transit times to Charlottesville from Philadelphia and Baltimore before submitting DC as the hotspot center, but neither Philadelphia or Baltimore worked out to allow transit one way in four hours or less. As for whether DC should ever get a World Heritage Site, I've probably visited the Mall too many times to have an unbiased opinion of its OUV; I don't particularly see it, but I appreciate outside perspectives.

For potential future US hotspots, should New York City gain one more World Heritage Site, or should Bethlehem, Pennsylvania's Moravian district be added as an extension of Denmark's Christiansfeld, both Philadelphia and New York City would be eligible as hotspots on the US East Coast.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#62 | Posted: 20 Oct 2019 03:50 
Luoyang should be a hotspot on its own:
* Longmen Grottoes
* Grand Canal
* Dengfeng
* Silk Road

High speed rail skews the picture a bit. I plan to do Luoyang and Ping Yao from Xi'an. I would argue for a Xi'an hotspot when/if the Chinese Sections of the Silk Road are inscribed separately.

Author Zos
Partaker
#63 | Posted: 20 Oct 2019 12:14 
nfmungard
We already have Zhengzhou Hotspot (with a grand canal component). We can rename it as Henan and Center can either be Zhengzhou or Luoyang.

What I would argue is to add the following to Beijing Hotspot.
* Yin Xu: Anyang East Railway station is less than 2.5 hours from Beijing. The station is less than an hour bus from the site
* Taishan: Tai'an Railway station is less than 2.5 hours away from Beijing. The station is an hour away from the mountain.
* Confucius sites in Qufu: Qufu East Railway station is 2.5 hours away from Beijing. The site is less than 30 mins from the station. (Both Taishan and Qufu can be visited in a long day trip from Beijing)

Early next year when the fast trains are opratiknal, both Chengde and Datong can be done as day trip from Beijing too.

Add Nanjing Hotspot
* Imperial Tombs - several tombs in Nanjing
* Suzhou Gardens - Suzhou is 1.5 hours away from Nanjing
* Grand Canal - Wuxi, Cangzhou, Suzhou are connected by trains from Nanjing
* Taishan - Tai'an Railway station is 2-3 hours fast train from Nanjing
* Qufu - Qufu east is less than 2.5 hours from Nanjing

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#64 | Posted: 20 Oct 2019 12:23 
Zos:
What I would argue is to add the following to Beijing Hotspot.

I think we shouldn't equate high speed rails with sites being part of the hotspot. 50% of Germany would be in the Frankfurt hotspot if we did. I am not sure how to/when to draw the line. Imho, a site should only be added for high speed connection if it's not part already of a more local hotspot.

Author Zos
Partaker
#65 | Posted: 20 Oct 2019 12:44 
nfmungard
Yup, I agree that high speed rail connections cannot be the main consideration. Most of the time I actually consider what else to see in the area aside from the WHS. my proposed additions to Beijing hotspot, way fits this consideration. There is not much to see in both Qufu and Tai'an, or Anyang. And besides, the travel time is comparable to visiting Great Wall by public transport. In my opinion, adding them to Beijing hotspot will help travellers plan their China trips. Most of the time, these sites are passed over since they seem far from the popular sites.

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 WHS Hotspots

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑