World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

WHS Hotspots

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#46 | Posted: 25 Jul 2018 10:22 
nfmungard:
south china see hotspot

This is not a hotspot, but a regular connection about WHS bordering the South China Sea

Have now added Guangzhou hotspot!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 00:54 
In regard to WHS hotspots, it looks like the US has gained a potential one with the inscription of the Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings this year:

Washington, DC hotspot:
Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings: Daily bus service (4 hours) and train service (3 hours) to New York City (Guggenheim Museum)
Independence Hall: Daily bus service (3 hours) and train service (2 hours) to Philadelphia
Monticello: Daily bus service (3 hours), intermittent train service (2-3 hours) to Charlottesville
Statue of Liberty: Daily bus service (4 hours) and train service (3 hours) to New York City

New York City is the furthest of the three cities from Washington, DC, transportation-wise, but I have made multiple day trips by bus and train to New York City from Washington, DC; it's very feasible to see New York City on a day trip from DC (though I'd really recommend more days if one has the time).

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 05:08 
Oh that is a good one to throw in, especially for yourself, but the US sites are so dispersed that having one that is accessible to many (without a car!) is a big win.

Author Messy
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 08:27 | Edited by: Messy 
I'm surprised that London hasn't been mentioned yet. There's The Tower of London, Westminster sites, Kew, and the Greenwich observatory. You can do them all in a day! Not only that, there are daytrips from there that include both Bath and Stonehenge.

Author elsslots
Admin
#50 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 08:30 
Messy:
I'm surprised that London hasn't been mentioned yet. There's The Tower of London, Westminster sites, Kew, and Greenwich. You can do them all in a day! Not only that, there are daytrips from there that include both Bath and Stonehenge.

London hotspot already exists (for a very long time): https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/London+hotspot
Plus WHS within walking distance includes the London ones as well: https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/WHS+within+walking+distance

Author Messy
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 08:46 
Colvin
Since apparently those on the T-list are included, y'all should add Central Park, The Brooklyn Bridge (both in Manhattan, NYC), and Mt. Vernon (VA).

Author elsslots
Admin
#52 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 08:49 
Messy:
Since apparently those on the T-list are included, y'all should add Central Park, The Brooklyn Bridge (both in Manhattan, NYC), and Mt. Vernon (VA).

No TWHS are included, what made you think so?

Author Messy
Partaker
#53 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 08:51 
just looking around....

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#54 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 09:54 
@Els: You never created the Copenhagen one... Is there a reason against it?

Author elsslots
Admin
#55 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 10:26 
nfmungard:
@Els: You never created the Copenhagen one... Is there a reason against it?

I probably forgot. Will do it now (maybe some doubt about Grimeton / Lubeck)

nfmungard:
We don't have a Copenhagen hotspot and simply by the four sites around Kopenhagen that should count.

In addition:
* Jelling in 2:30h.
* Christianfeld in 2:45h
* Karlskrona is feasible in 3h
* Lübeck and Grimeton in 4h,

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#56 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 10:33 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Copenhagen is fine without the distant sites:
* Roskilde
* Parforce
* Hamlets castle
* Stevens Klint.

Should be okay:
* Jelling and Christiansfeld. Travel only in Denmark.
* Karlskrona is I think a direct train.
* Esbjerg is 3h. From where you can take a ferry to Fano to Wadden Sea.

Lübeck and Grimeton seem a bit too far off agreed. Hamburg would actually be easier as there is a direct train connection.

Alternative would be center on Odense to cover the whole country.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#57 | Posted: 13 Aug 2019 20:40 
meltwaterfalls:
the US sites are so dispersed that having one that is accessible to many (without a car!) is a big win.

Absolutely! Until the US starts working off its tentative list, I'm not sure when we'll get more. And Canada is sadly in the same boat (though with a rental car Calgary is within a four hour drive of four sites; it just doesn't meet the public transportation requirement).

Thanks for adding the link, Els!

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#58 | Posted: 14 Aug 2019 05:03 
Colvin
Having a further EU hotspot is always appreciated :) Even if it feels wrong to base it in Washington D.C., but you probably have to do that for logistical reason. And if Unesco was not the enemy, I feel Washington D.C. (The Mall) should be a WHS itself.

Colvin:
it just doesn't meet the public transportation requirement).

If we were to remove that requirement the whole of Europe would be a continuous hotspot ;)

Author Zos
Partaker
#59 | Posted: 14 Aug 2019 06:19 
I propose to move the center of San Miguel Hotspot to Queretaro. This is to include Franciscan Missions, which is totally doable by day trip. There is a Primera Plus bus that leaves Queretaro at 0810 to Jalpan de Serra, arriving at 1200 noon and just walking distance to Mission Jalpan. There is a return bus at 1500 and at 1700 which gives you enough time to visit the missions. Mission Landa is 30 mins taxi from Jalpan and there are many taxi from there on the way back. Mission Tilaco is 30 mins away from Landa but need to hire the taxi roundtrip as no taxi at Tilaco going back. I chose to hire taxi from Jalpan to visit Landa and Tilaco, staying 30 mins at each site, for 500 MXN.

Guadalajara is also doable day trip to visit Hospicio Cabanas, but it is gonna be a long one.

Author elsslots
Admin
#60 | Posted: 14 Aug 2019 13:57 
Zos:
I propose to move the center of San Miguel Hotspot to Queretaro. This is to include Franciscan Missions, which is totally doable by day trip. There is a Primera Plus bus that leaves Queretaro at 0810 to Jalpan de Serra, arriving at 1200 noon and just walking distance to Mission Jalpan. There is a return bus at 1500 and at 1700 which gives you enough time to visit the missions. Mission Landa is 30 mins taxi from Jalpan and there are many taxi from there on the way back. Mission Tilaco is 30 mins away from Landa but need to hire the taxi roundtrip as no taxi at Tilaco going back. I chose to hire taxi from Jalpan to visit Landa and Tilaco, staying 30 mins at each site, for 500 MXN.

Guadalajara is also doable day trip to visit Hospicio Cabanas, but it is gonna be a long one.

Thanks! I have updated it. Guadalajara at 350km & some 5 hours by bus indeed is too far.

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 WHS Hotspots

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑