World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /  

WHS Hotspots

Page  Page 11 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11

Author elsslots
Admin
#151 | Posted: 15 Aug 2021 12:32 
TaiTT:
But Bat, Al-Khutm and Al-Ayn is 244km from Muscat, is the limit 250km?

Like I said in the introduction to my blog post: don't take it too literally. We can wiggle a few km's if the transport is easy (and here there is no other way then by car, on excellent roads).

Nizwa actually is the best center for 3 of them, but Qalhat then would be too far away.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#152 | Posted: 15 Aug 2021 12:57 
elsslots:
Waterton and Writing on stone are way beyond 200km one way.

Nobody would ever place themselves into Calgary for taking multiple daytrips, especially if they do have a car. These hotspots must make sense for travelers to stay in one place and use as a base, make sense to center oneself, not just "it's reachable if you really want to". By the way if anyone trying to save a buck and no stay in Banff they should stay in Canmore instead, obviously not as nice but def not worth traveling all the way back to Calgary once you get to the Rockies which takes multiple days to see properly.

If we ever split the WHS into multiple sites for reviews then I can try to write about lots of the parks.

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#153 | Posted: 15 Aug 2021 13:31 
I agree with Zoe. It should definitely makes sense and not just "be possible". This is especially true for natural or larger WHS that will/should take longer to visit.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#154 | Posted: 15 Aug 2021 15:06 
Zoe:
These hotspots must make sense for travelers to stay in one place and use as a base, make sense to center oneself, not just "it's reachable if you really want to

I would agree re Canada. But same argument would apply re Peleponnes: Essentially you should do a round trip. But... If you are short on time, and what to take a look at some classics, it's still nice knowing that it works out logistically.

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#155 | Posted: 15 Aug 2021 20:59 
Sorry ignore my Canada hotspots I thought the rule was also 4 hours for cars

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#156 | Posted: 15 Aug 2021 21:11 
Morioka hotspot:
Hiraizumi: 1h20m by train
Jomon: Aomori is 1h from from Morioka, can be combined with Shirakami Sanchi as transfer in Aomori is needed to access Hirosaki
Shirakami Sanchi: Hirosaki takes 90 minutes to get to, from there bus to anmon falls take 90m, one could ride resort shirakami as a day-trip also
Meiji Restoration: Requires Car, 100km to Hashino blast furnace

Page  Page 11 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 
Connections www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Connections /
 WHS Hotspots

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑