World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? /  

Future handling of sites of memory associated with recent conflicts

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#16 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 12:29 | Edited by: elsslots 
Solivagant:
South Africa - Mandela

I haven't seen this brought forward (at least it is not on our register). But I will check, maybe it was another complete dossier and got into a holding pattern situation (like Rwanda's sites). -> check done, have not found a nomination

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 12:31 
Russia - Perm-36

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 12:33 
Solivagant:
Poland - Gdansk. I can't really see any great opposition

It seems to me that Russia and China had expressed some hostility to the listing.

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 12:37 | Edited by: elsslots 
jonathanfr:
Russia and China had expressed some hostility to the listing.

The ICOMOS evaluation also talks about opposition from countries that are still communist (Vietnam? Cuba?). But it is all about how you phrase it of course. OUV is more of an issue here, ICOMOS has always been very critical of this site (in its limited Solidarity scope).

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 12:38 
France: Oradour-sur-Glane

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 12:44 
We can also imagine a transnational serial inscription of the concentration camps (Buchenwald...), an extension of Auschwitz.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 12:45 
Viet Nam - Cu Chi Tunnels

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 12:49 
I will admit that I have a hard time seeing OUV for most of these conflict sites.
WW's were global and have OUV and I understand the argument on architectural grounds for some of the monuments themselves but other than that I am very skeptical.
The issue for me being losing out on 1 or 2 truly worthy nominations being the lesser problem than opening the door to even more political posturing and contention and potentially lowering the bar so much that we get flooded with nominations that all get approved because how can you say no to one group suffering after saying yes to another?

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 12:53 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
Germany: Stasi Prison
Thailand: Death Railway
USA: Ground Zero

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 13:05 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Armenia - Tsitsernakaberd (Armenian Genocide Memorial). That would really p...... off Turkey.... but, if Rwanda can have "Genocide Memorials" then why shouldn't Armenia. We know the answer of course..... it can't!

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 13:15 
I expect not inscribe in the majority of cases from ICOMOS.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 14:46 
Solivagant:
USA - USS Arizona
USA - Trinity

I'm not sure the US would pursue either of these, and I would think that any places of memory within the US would face political challenges. These might include the forced internment camps for Japanese citizens during World War II or the site of native American tragedies. Americans (for better or for worse) like to feel good, and sites of memory have the potential to bring up a lot of controversy as they highlight past injustice. I'm a proponent of facing our imperfect past, but I'm certain the entire country doesn't feel that way.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 15:06 
Colvin:
USA - Trinity

It was on the tentative list

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 15:08 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Colvin:
I'm not sure the US would pursue either of these

I wasn't suggesting that all the places on this list would necessarily be likely to be nominated - was rather trying to identify a potential list for the "Category" and provide "comparators" for ones which have been or are more likely to be!
Thanks for suggestion about Japanese citizen internment camps. I knew of their history of course but was surprised when searching to discover that, indeed, at least one has been preserved as a National Historic Site - Manzanar

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 15:16 
Since the US is currently planning to submit a nomination dossier in the next year or two for the Civil Rights Movement Sites (including two locations of assassinations of prominent leaders), I think their position has shifted slightly since Hiroshima's inscription. I do think the US is generally against "war related" sites being part of the world heritage list.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? /
 Future handling of sites of memory associated with recent conflicts

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑