World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? /  

Tentative Lists (Progress, Development, Update)

Page  Page 29 of 29:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  27  28  29

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#421 | Posted: 6 Aug 2019 16:58 | Edited by: Solivagant 
hubert:
The only site that has survived is Solar Observatory of Chankillo, submitted for decision in 2020.

I think that "Chachapoyas sites of the Utcubamba Valley" includes Kuelap from the previous T List. The extension to other sites in the area seems worth having!

We lose 2 Colonial Centres - Cajamarca and Trujillo - Excellent!! There are more than enough of those. Have only really seen the latter ( and Cajamarca many years ago during a night bus trip!) - not great loss other than the possibility of a future tick.

We gain 2 Middle Horizon non Inca sites - "Archaeological complex of Marcahuamachuco" and "Archaeological Complex of Toro Muerto". The former is also Excellent. The latter - yet another Petroglyph site but still of interest and value I guess...?

We gain another pre-Colombian non inca site - Nazca Aqueducts They seem worthwhile!

The Salt Mines of Maras dating back to Inca times seem a fine addition. Annoying, however, that we have made 2 visits to the Sacred Valley across the years and never saw them!!! Shucks.

Regarding the "Baroque Temples of Callao". The Church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen de la Legua dates back 400 years but was partly destroyed by a car bomb in 1992 although it has been restored. It is a significant Peruvian pilgrimage site and has associated other buildings. Not a great prospect if that is what it is!!

What are - "The Rural Temples of Cuzco"??? Are they Inca temples around Cuzco or "Indigenous" churches? I think the latter and that it will include San Juan Bautista in Huaro which has received WMF money. Every Latin American country seems to want to place some of its indigenous Christian churches on its list!!!

The loss of Lake Titicaca is a bit surprising but it really lacked a focus so in reality no great loss - but would lose the chance of a tick for many of us!! It was a "Mixed site" so it might come back in if Peru is still to add sites with natural values??

We have already discussed whether or not Pachacamac is included under Qhapaq Nan and concluded "probably yes" - so its exclusion from the new T List isn't really a surprise!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#422 | Posted: 6 Aug 2019 17:57 
Solivagant:
The Salt Mines of Maras seem a good introduction.

I visited these last fall when touring the Sacred Valley before hiking the Inca Trail. They are definitely worth a visit for anyone in the area. There is an overlook at the top of the terraces, and a trail that follows the terraces downhill to the valley below; I was part of a guided tour, so I am uncertain whether individuals can hike on the trail through the terraces without a guide.

Author Assif
Partaker
#423 | Posted: 6 Aug 2019 17:58 
Two sites that appeared in previous reports and are now missing are the Moche Huaca de la Luna and Huaca del Sol and Tucume pyramids and Pisac Sanctuary. I still hope both these valuable sites will find their way to the T-list (for starters).

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#424 | Posted: 6 Aug 2019 20:23 | Edited by: watkinstravel 
I guess that's why we shouldn't expend too much effort in visiting the T list? I'd have to generally agree with the results with what I've seen. Kuelap would make the list on its own but Chachapoyas is so rich in material that they might as well lump in as much as they can at the same time.
We saw the Salt Mines of Maras as well. There is just a short and limited trail to walk independently above the terraces without a guide but you can get a good impression of the overall set up easily.
Agreed that we could do without some more colonial centers. No big loss there, but the Huaca de la Luna will end up near the top of a revised missing list if and when we do one.
It'll be interesting to see what and if they do with the natural sites but I guess we can always keep our fingers crossed for Bolivia to give us the Titicaca "tick" ;)

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#425 | Posted: 7 Aug 2019 02:55 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Solivagant:
Regarding the "Baroque Temples of Callao". The Church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen de la Legua dates back 400 years but was partly destroyed by a car bomb in 1992 although it has been restored. It is a significant Peruvian pilgrimage site and has associated other buildings. Not a great prospect if that is what it is!!

Forget all of this!! Complete mistake on my part - I misread "Collao" as "Callao" -it was late at night and I was rushing!!
And I had already identified the churches involved when we discussed this back in May 2019!
So the churches involved are in the Puno area and consist of - "Santiago Apóstol de Pomata, San Pedro de Juli, the cathedral of Puno, Santiago Apóstol de Lampa and San Francisco de Asís de Ayaviri."

Similarly the "Rural Temples of Cuzco" are what were previously described as "Rural Temples of Quispicanchi,". Peru must have felt that it was better to use the name of Cuzco even though they are not that close to it. They consist of - "the church of San Salvador de Oropesa, as well as to the temples of San Pedro Apóstol of Andahuaylillas, San Juan Bautista de Huaro, Santiago Apostle of Urcos, San Pablo de Ocongate, San Francisco de Asís de Marcapata , San Juan Bautista de Ccatca and the chapel of the Purified Virgin of Canicunca"

Author elsslots
Admin
#426 | Posted: 7 Aug 2019 10:32 | Edited by: elsslots 
Peru's natural sites plus some more cultural ones are there as well now (the UNESCO WHC intern must have taken a break yesterday):
Battlefield of Ayacucho (05/08/2019)
Ceremonial Centers and Forests in the La Leche Valley (05/08/2019)
Cultural Landscape of the Sondondo Valley (05/08/2019)
Guano Islands, Islets, and Capes National Reserve System form Peru (RNSIIPG) (05/08/2019)
Huayllay National Sanctuary (05/08/2019)
Las Huaringas Lagoons (05/08/2019)
Paleontological Sites of Pisco and Camana Basins (05/08/2019)
Peruvian Central Railway (05/08/2019)
Sierra del Divisor National Park (05/08/2019)
The Coastal Lomas System of Peru (05/08/2019)
Wineries and Vineyards for traditional Pisco Production (05/08/2019)

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#427 | Posted: 7 Aug 2019 16:58 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
Peru's natural sites plus some more cultural ones are there as well now

elsslots:
Peru's natural sites plus some more cultural ones are there as well now

So the 18 from the May 2019 list all went forward unchanged!
a. Bolivia is left with a "hanging" Transnational Lake Titicaca and no Peruvian part!!
b. Another Vineyard site - but this time with a difference!
c. A battlefield site - why on earth has Peru continued with this given the problems with other battle related sites? OK it is rather older and it looks as if Peru is claiming that, being an "Independence" battle, it is "special"
d. Many travellers are likely to have visited Paracas from among the Guano Islands.
e. I will do a review with scanned in diapositives of the Central Railway from 1973 when it was still fully running daily departures for passengers! ("Passenger services are extremely limited, with only one or two departures each month. Upcoming departures are announced on the ​​Ferrocarril Central Andino website; advanced bookings are necessary. The tourist train departs from Desamparados station in Lima, with the trip to Huancayo taking about 12 hours.". On Aug 8 this stated "Próxima salida a Huancayo: 30 de Agosto del 2019")

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#428 | Posted: 20 Aug 2019 03:25 
Looks like Peru's older nominations re-appeared?

Historic Center of the City of Trujillo
Lake Titicaca
Santa Bárbara mining complex
The Historic Centre of Cajamarca

Author elsslots
Admin
#429 | Posted: 20 Aug 2019 12:50 
winterkjm:
Looks like Peru's older nominations re-appeared?

Historic Center of the City of Trujillo
Lake Titicaca
Santa Bárbara mining complex
The Historic Centre of Cajamarca

Hmm. It may be a mistake, or not. I'll wait it out for a week to see whether it will be corrected.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#430 | Posted: 10 Sep 2019 03:11 | Edited by: jonathanfr 

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#431 | Posted: 10 Sep 2019 07:38 
Tyras - Bilhorod (Akkerman), on the way from the Black Sea to the Baltic Sea
Ukraine
http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/6426/

Author kintante
Partaker
#432 | Posted: 11 Sep 2019 05:46 
elsslots:
Hmm. It may be a mistake, or not. I'll wait it out for a week to see whether it will be corrected.

They are still on the T-list on unesco.org as of today

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#433 | Posted: 18 Sep 2019 09:22 

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#434 | Posted: 30 Sep 2019 08:15 
Modernist Centre of Gdynia — the example of building an integrated community (Poland)

https://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/6431/

Page  Page 29 of 29:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  27  28  29 
What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? /
 Tentative Lists (Progress, Development, Update)

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑