World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? /  

Filling Up the Gaps

Page  Page 3 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 08:38 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Regarding Assif's corrections above
a. Incense route of Negev already identified as a Cultural route in Cat C - but got left on "non gap fillers" list by mistake - will remove it and alter the arithmetic
b. Nisa and Zoroastrianism - see http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/nisa/anau.htm. But have re-read the Nom file and it makes no mention at all so will remove and correct! It makes no difference to the final arithmetic as it is aldready a "gap filler" for Central Asia.
c. Centennial hall - will correct
d. Royal Joseon - will correct
e. Kaipeng - will correct
f. Tulou - will correct
g. Putorana - Re Cold winter Desert . The IUCN evaluation states "The nomination claims that TNP would help to fill the gap in the World classified as cold winter deserts. However, based on a GIS analysis by UNEP-WCMC, TNP does not contain significant areas of Udvardy's Cold Winter Deserts biome. There are also more important representations of this biome elsewhere in Central Asia. TNP alone thus does not represent a major or outstanding example of this desert type." So - it contains some cold winter deserts and the Nom tried to claim it as a "gap filler" but IUCN didn't consider it as such. I will remove it from that heading

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#32 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 08:45 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Sorry I can't correct them all - Els or the passage of time seems to have prevented me from going back to the Cat A corrections! -
Centennial Hall, Kaiping and Toulou
If this cannot be altered (Els??) I will re-issue with the corrections

Author elsslots
Admin
#33 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 10:11 
Solivagant:
Sorry I can't correct them all - Els or the passage of time seems to have prevented me from going back to the Cat A corrections

I'm innocent! I can still edit them, strange that you can't

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 11:12 
elsslots:
I'm innocent! I can still edit them, strange that you can't

No it is very strange - I am logged in and have "edit rights" over my posts from that of 13.02 19 Feb but not earlier! They just show "Reply" and "Quote" with no "Edit" capability!!

Author Assif
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:12 | Edited by: Assif 
Solivagant, you forgot to correct New Caldonia.
1) The gap ecoregion New Caledonia dry and moist forests hasn't been filled by the New Caledonia nomination as it is a marine ecoregion that was inscribed and not the forests.
2) Lena Pillars too is a gap filler as a tundra (A) and Arctic tundra (B).
3) Saryarka is no desert and hence not a gap filler for Central Asian deserts (B).

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:37 
Assif:
Solivagant, you forgot to correct New Caldonia

All done I hope -I have also removed reference to a "quick" first review!

Author elsslots
Admin
#37 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:40 
I've changed the one's at A

Author Assif
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:58 | Edited by: Assif 
And now to habitats (C):

1) Cape Floral
2) Okavango (and Sudd)
3) Eastern Arc Mts
4) Atlas Mts
5) Rift Valley Lakes
6) tropical mangroves of Kenya, Mozambique and Tanzania
7) Namib and Kalahari deserts
8) Somali-Maasai savannah
9) Sub-tropical forests of Cambodia
10) tropical montane forests of Sumatra, Philippines and Sulawesi
11) temprate deserts of central and eastern Asia
12) shrubland of the southern Caucasus
13) shrubland and savannahs of Southwest Australia
14) rainforests of Polynesia and Micronesia
15) mangroves of Eastern Papua and Northern Australia
16) Californian shrub
17) Central Mexico desert
18) rainforests of Southern Chile
19) Mosquito
20) temperate forests and shrubland of Central Chile
21) grasslands of Falklands and Tierra del Fuego
22) tropical Andes
23) coastal deserts of Chile and Peru
24) South Georgia
25) European saline wetlands
26) maquis
27) montado of Portugal and Spain

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 13:59 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Assif:
And now to habitats (C):

We seem to have clear examples here of where recommendations were made re gaps which were well on the way to being filled when the report was issued

So the approach we have followed elsewhere of not looking before 2005 doesn't entirely work

1 Cape Floral - was filled in 2004 by the Cape Floral Region which had been first nominated as early as 2000

5 Rift Valley Lakes - Kenya Lake system 2011

10 Tropical Montane Forests of Sumatra etc - was "filled" in 2004 by Tropical Rainforest Sumatra

25 European Saline Wetlands - presumably the 2009 Wadden Sea "fills" this?

Then there are
6 Tropical Mangroves - Not clear what IUCN had in mind. All mangorves are tropical or sub-tropical - see the next Habitat which is certainly "Tropical"
15 Mangroves of Papua and N Australia. I guess that IUCN had something in mind but the Lorentz Park in the Irian Jaya province of Papua includes mangroves and was inscribed back in 1999!

So - 4 "definites" and some queries to start with

Author Assif
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 14:23 
I now made 6 and 15 more specific. 6 refers to coastal Kenya, Mozambique and Tanzania. 15 to the Australian-Papuan border - so to Eastern Papua.

Author Assif
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 14:32 | Edited by: Assif 
There are also two types which I can't see any account of in neither of the reports: early hominide sites and geological phenomena.
The first is considered cultural so should have been handles by ICOMOS, but indeed it often only includes bones so it wouldn't really fit the basic categories A-C used for the classification.
Geological phenomena (Vredefort, High Coast) are included under natural heritage, but IUCN only considers biological habitats and ecozones in its report.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 14:58 
The Geological aspects of WHS have been covered in this report of 2005 - It proposes a framework and some themes - and then analyses the list at that time. Some areas are identified as not being covered but it isn't really into the job of bringing these out for future action.
http://whc.unesco.org/uploads/activities/documents/activity-504-1.pdf

Author Assif
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 15:43 | Edited by: Assif 
This report on geology doesn't include gap analysis but it does enable us to see what the least represented categories are:

1) tectonic and structural features
2) stratigraphic sites
3) meteorite impact
4) deserts

Author Assif
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 15:46 
I have now found out that category A of ICOMOS analysis does contain hominide sites and that there is no major gap considered in this category.

Author Assif
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 20 Feb 2013 16:10 
Some gap fillers:

Wadden Sea - certainly fills the European saline wetland slot
Arena Sardona - tectonic features
Dolomites - stratigraphy
Vredefort - meteorite impact

Page  Page 3 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 
What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / What are they doing all day in Paris anyway? /
 Filling Up the Gaps

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑