World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

Meetup 2023

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »

Author Martina_R
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 2 Jan 2023 15:53 
Ivan and I would only be happy to help organising a Prague-based meetup, with visits to the newer WHSs like Jachymov (Erzgebirge), Spa Towns components (Karlovy Vary, Frantiskovy Lazne, Marianske Lazne) and Kladruby nad Labem stables and help with bookings and recommendations for other sites and T sites which we have visited extensively (and some even repeatedly) past year.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 3 Jan 2023 07:38 
I think proposals and thoughts are out in the open. My view:

* Pimachiowin Aki seems more like joint travel than a meetup.
@winterkjm: Make a plan and a proposal (time and money) and let's see who would be up for it.
* For a meetup in Europe, we have Prague, Emilia Romagna, and UK.
* North America (Calgary/Albuquerque/Ohio) would be sth new.

@Els: Feel free to make a decision. I think that's the only way to go.

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 3 Jan 2023 09:51 | Edited by: elsslots 
Personally, I'd like the idea of moving over to the USA. However, I need a USA visa due to my visits to the naughty countries. I have started the application process for that. Give me a few days to see whether that can be successful before September 2023. --> UPDATE: I have my appointment at the consulate on July 20th, so it should be possible

My second choice would be Prague, as you can move around easily from there to other countries/WHS.

For timing, I think we should stick to September as we did before. I am already fully booked til June! Though you'all can join FredericM and me at the Niah Caves on March 7!

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 3 Jan 2023 10:40 | Edited by: elsslots 
For the US Americans on this Forum: I notice that Sept 4 is Labor Day. I guess people then take long weekend trips 2-4 Sept?
So if we would organize something for the weekend of 9/10 Sept, we would be cool?

Maybe an Ohio (Hopewell)/Cahokia Mounds/Chicago combi, with a focus meeting at a (T)WHS in the weekend?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 3 Jan 2023 11:56 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Prices would probably be higher for the Labor Day Weekend, but we are pretty early (so prices might not be too bad). It's not like Cahokia Mounds or the Hopewell Sites will be inundated with visitors. The weekend of September 9th-10th should be fine. To share an idea of what the drive would look like here is a basic Google Maps.

Highlights
- Unity Temple in Oak Park, Chicago (FLW WHS) *Tour is $20
- Frederick C. Robie House at the University of Chicago (FLW WHS) *Tour is $30
- Early Chicago Skyscrapers (TWHS) *high value sites in particular - Rookery Building, Marquette Building, Monadnock Building, Auditorium Theatre/Tour
- Cahokia Mounds (WHS) *7 million dollar Interpretive Center Renovation should be completed by Spring/Summer 2023
- Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks (TWHS 2023) *high value sites in particular - Hopewell Culture National Historical Park, Fort Ancient State Memorial, Seip Earthworks, and Newark Earthworks State Memorial

*Add-on Chicago: Mies van der Rohe Buildings
*Add-on St. Louis: The Gateway Arch

Other Tentative Sites of Potential Interest: (No activity for a nomination in last 15 years, unlikely to progress)
- Dayton Aviation Sites (TWHS)
- Serpent Mound (TWHS)

Alternative Routes:
- After Hopewell, heading South to Mammoth Cave National Park (WHS)
- After Hopewell, heading East to Fallingwater (FLW WHS)
- After Chicago (skipping other itinerary), heading North toward Madison to visit Taliesin (FLW WHS)

Author Durian
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 3 Jan 2023 19:54 
elsslots:
FredericM and me at the Niah Caves on March 7!

Lovely, can't wait to see your update reviews, I will go Miri this April for friend's wedding and Niah cave and eating Mee Kolok are two thing I must do!

Author elsslots
Admin
#22 | Posted: 4 Jan 2023 00:58 
So if we would do 9-10 September in Chicago as the main meetup dates, with some group activities in and around the city's (T)WHS.
The days before and after then you would be able to visit other (T)WHS in the wider region (such as Cahokia and Hopewell), and maybe share car rentals. Or, as Chicago is a major hub, fly on toward other places in the US that you haven't seen yet.

Who would be interested in attending? Do not need to commit now, just to gauge interest. I see that winterkjm has pencilled it in already - would be lovely to meet you finally!

Author elsslots
Admin
#23 | Posted: 4 Jan 2023 01:05 
Durian
Will be visiting Thailand as well, maybe we can meet along the way. Will drop you an e-mail...

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 4 Jan 2023 09:37 
elsslots:
So if we would do 9-10 September in Chicago as the main meetup dates, with some group activities in and around the city's (T)WHS.

So it's set. Usual date, new continent.

Crossing the pond only makes sense for me if I get to see more. And someone gives me a ride ;) Will try to figure sth out.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 4 Jan 2023 11:11 
elsslots:
Who would be interested in attending? Do not need to commit now, just to gauge interest.

I am definitly interested. I was considering doing Chicago at Easter, but might as well postpone it to September.

Author Durian
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 4 Jan 2023 21:40 
elsslots:
Who would be interested in attending? Do not need to commit now, just to gauge interest.

I don't think I will go, but going to US this time is a good sign that meetup can be outside Europe and I hope that one day will be in Southeast or East Asia :)

Author joelonroad
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 6 Jan 2023 01:15 
September is a pretty great month in Sydney, weather-wise. Just sayin' ;)

Three sites right here in the city (Opera House, Australian Convict Sites, Blue Mountains NP), and two others (Gondwana Rainforests and Willandra Lakes) within a 2-night trip range! And of course you could pick up flights to anywhere in the country: Cairns (Great Barrier Reef, Wet Tropics), Melbourne (Royal Exhibition Hall), Hobart (Tasmanian Wilderness, the best Convict Sites components), Adelaide (Fossil Mammal Sites, Budj Bim, Flinders Ranges (T)), Darwin (Kakadu), or Yulara (Uluru). Or even Lord Howe Island if you book early enough!

Author elsslots
Admin
#28 | Posted: 18 Jan 2023 01:42 
As we just learned that the WHC session will take place from 10 to 25 September, for me it would be impractical to have a meet-up on 9-10 September as earlier proposed. The sessions bring a lot of work in updating the website (especially a double session).

Regarding the proposed location: quite a number of people have said that they would like to visit Chicago, but do not want to commit yet. So we're a bit stuck with a lack of concrete interest.

Personally, I'd still like to go but on a somewhat later date (early October?) and combine it with some (T)WHS in the wider area plus New York. I have applied and paid for a US visa, so hopefully, it will be granted in July and I can make use of it.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 18 Jan 2023 07:52 
I will plan on attending whenever you are able to hold the meeting. September and October are both very lovely months to visit the US, with autumn leaves generally on full display once you get into October. I'd say pick a weekend, and work from there.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 19 Jan 2023 17:32 
October would be more difficult for me (impossible on 14-15 and 21-22 week-ends). Might be good on the first week-end to celebrate my birthday which is October 5. :)

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 Meetup 2023

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑