World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

TWHS Project

Page  Page 15 of 17:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  17  Next »

Author Walter
Partaker
#211 | Posted: 19 Mar 2021 14:33 
Uzbekistan finished today.
I will look into Turkmenistan next (unless someone has a first hand experience)

Author elsslots
Admin
#212 | Posted: 19 Mar 2021 21:16 
Thanks for completing this huge task, Walter!

Author scleaver
Partaker
#213 | Posted: 22 Mar 2021 20:47 
I've got some spare time at the moment and happy to help out. What other countries still need to be assigned?

Author elsslots
Admin
#214 | Posted: 22 Mar 2021 21:33 
You can look at the first post of page 1 of this topic, Shandos. And pick one that has not been done or claimed. Here you can find the T lists per country. Thailand may be a nice one to start with?

Author carmendavid
Partaker
#215 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 14:26 
Hello, since I managed to tear the ligaments in my foot, I have to rest in bed. Can I claim Romania, if nobody wants it? I would just need to talk to someone about basic rules and all.

Author elsslots
Admin
#216 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 17:09 
carmendavid:
Can I claim Romania

Sure you can!

carmendavid:
I would just need to talk to someone about basic rules and all.

Fire away. You can also send me an e-mail via els@worldheritagesite.org

Author scleaver
Partaker
#217 | Posted: 24 Mar 2021 03:04 
Happy to do Thailand!

Author elsslots
Admin
#218 | Posted: 24 Mar 2021 07:55 
Good!

Author Zoe
Partaker
#219 | Posted: 27 Mar 2021 05:58 
Your icon description for "already inscribed" is a tiny bit wrong. Some places are seeking a new inscription for different criteria and aren't necessarily forgotten and mistakenly left on the T list. Some are, but perhaps a more "already inscribed as part of another WHS" is more accurate?

Author elsslots
Admin
#220 | Posted: 27 Mar 2021 18:31 
scleaver will also do Italy!

Author elsslots
Admin
#221 | Posted: 27 Mar 2021 18:32 
Zoe:
ome are, but perhaps a more "already inscribed as part of another WHS" is more accurate?

Yes, and there is another similar connection https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/On+T+List+for+a+different+nomination#206 (will see what I will do with that)

Author hubert
Partaker
#222 | Posted: 28 Mar 2021 13:25 
Palestine done, I will do Pakistan next.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#223 | Posted: 30 Mar 2021 14:23 | Edited by: Zoe 
elsslots:
Yes, and there is another similar connection https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/On+T+List+for+a+different+nomination#206 (will see what I will do with that)

That probably needs a big update but yes basically this in reverse. Anyway I mention this because:
-"The Central Axis of Beijing (including Beihai)" already has 2 WHS (Temple of Heaven and Imperial Palace), Grand Canal is also just there who knows how these core zones could overlap. So it would be missing the 'WHS' icon.
-Yangzhou is also part of the GC but the tentative listing criteria is totally different.
-Even relics like 'The Lijiang River Scenic Zone at Guilin' could still want a separate inscription for the...relics.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#224 | Posted: 3 Apr 2021 21:41 | Edited by: Colvin 
Now that I have looked over most of the Tentative List for Oceania, some general trends seem to stand out:

Coral Reefs: Many Pacific nations seem to want to get in on this natural wonder, proposing untouched and/or richly biodiverse coral ecosystems. To be fair, some of these tentative sites are in the Coral Triangle, but I don't know how much room there is on the list for incredible coral reefs. Out of the ones I looked through, I was most interested in the nominations for the Marovo-Tetepare Complex (Solomon Islands) and the Marine Protected Areas of American Samoa (USA).

Avian Hotspots: Not surprisingly, there is a high degree of endemism for fauna in Oceania, particularly when it comes to bird life. This continent of islands is also very important for migratory seabirds. At least a dozen tentative sites include references to their avian excellence, but most of the sites also include references to other important natural and cultural features, which may be more of an overall factor for getting them inscribed. Sites like New Zealand's Kermadec Islands and Marine reserve or Whakarua Moutere (North East Islands) might have opportunities for inscription if they were to improve their packages.

Mixed Sites: Perhaps pulling from the success of Papahânaumokuâkea (USA) and Rock Islands Southern Lagoon (Palau), several countries have proposed mixed sites to take advantage of the natural wonders and biodiversity as well as the cultures that live in and rely on these environments. Some of the proposed tentative sites, such as Les Iles Marquises (France) and Fagaloa Bay-Uafato Tiavea Conservation Zone (Samoa), seem promising, but others, like the Northern Marshall Islands Atolls (Marshall Islands), need more work.

Looking over the list, the unique nominations that interest me most for cultural sites are the Yapese Disk Money Regional Sites (Micronesia and Palau) and the Nowon and Votwos of Ureparapara (Vanuatu). For the natural sites, I'm intrigued by Yaduataba Crested Iguana Sanctuary (Fiji) and Marianas Trench Marine National Monument (USA).

I'd also love to see some more transnational sites put forward to highlight the region's rich heritage, from the Lapita culture to more recent Polynesian cultures, sailing across the Pacific.

Author elsslots
Admin
#225 | Posted: 6 Apr 2021 15:32 
Many, many kudos to scleaver for completing Italy! I have added the texts already, will do the photos as well.

Page  Page 15 of 17:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  17  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 TWHS Project

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑