World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

WHS Meetup 2020

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 4 Jul 2020 03:44 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Time for some serious planning. With additional obstacles; thanks Corona.

I think there are three realistic day trips for Saturday:
* Marmaris => Kaunos (T)
* Fethiye => Xanthos/Letoon plus Lycian Citiy (T)
* Samos => by plane.

Personally, I think Fethiye is best. The ferry schedules don't really help much. There is no early/late combination, so time in Turkey (without overnight) is limited to 6h.

For those planning to see the Peleponnes before, you can find the opening hours in my planning sheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R-F6UO6cilA_g7eNXZFan877kJLkp6wfB2-BoIDylPk/edit?usp=sharing

Author elsslots
Admin
#47 | Posted: 4 Jul 2020 03:54 
nfmungard:
Personally, I think Fethiye is best.

Me too. Sounds exciting and a bit like our dash into Morocco during the Gibraltar meetup.

Author elsslots
Admin
#48 | Posted: 4 Jul 2020 04:21 | Edited by: elsslots 
This seems to be the only ferry indeed: https://www.makritravel.com/fethiye-rhodes-ferry-schedule. 28 EUR for a same day return, not too bad.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 5 Jul 2020 03:27 
elsslots:
This seems to be the only ferry indeed: https://www.makritravel.com/fethiye-rhodes-ferry-schedule. 28 EUR for a same day return, not too bad.

They don't operate right now. First ferry is 16 July and that may be pushed more to the future... Time in Turkey is 10:20 to 16:50 = 6h.

We would need a driver on the Turkish side. That's roughly it. Looking at Paul's review I think we should also visit Patara and then the 6h should be consumed.

Author kintante
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 13 Jul 2020 04:50 
My (and probably my wife) will also participate. Fly in on Friday morning and back on Tuesday. Xanthos would be really important for my as otherwise it would be my first meeting with 0 new WHS.

Author kintante
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 13 Jul 2020 05:16 
Dodecanese Flying Dolphins is operating much faster boats to Fetyie. I one possibility would be Friday evening (16:30-18:00) with 2 nights and 1 entire day in Turkey and return on Sunday (09:00-10:30). We would still have most of Friday and Sunday in Rhodes. Tickets are EUR 35 one way.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 13 Jul 2020 06:31 
kintante:
My (and probably my wife) will also participate. Fly in on Friday morning and back on Tuesday. Xanthos would be really important for my as otherwise it would be my first meeting with 0 new WHS.

You seem to have forgotten St Kilda... Official meetup left us empty handed, even though we picked up stuff along the way.

kintante:
Dodecanese Flying Dolphins is operating much faster boats to Fetyie. I one possibility would be Friday evening (16:30-18:00) with 2 nights and 1 entire day in Turkey and return on Sunday (09:00-10:30). We would still have most of Friday and Sunday in Rhodes. Tickets are EUR 35 one way.

I will arrive Friday and wouldn't want to transfer to Turkey same day. Seeing travel risks & bans. I would prefer a single day trip. Also, my flight out is Sunday afternoon and I prefer to wake up in the same country as my departing flight's airport.

@kintante: Why don't you return Sunday evening via Marmaris with a stop in Kaunos? Comes highly recommended.

Other options for you:
* Rhodes -> Patmos
* Patmos -> Mykonos. For Delos be sure to not arrive on the day they are closed.

Mykonos home. Seems like a lovely place for your wife. Or go to Santorini for a 2nd honeymoon ;)

Author Peter Loov
Partaker
#53 | Posted: 8 Aug 2020 06:11 
Me and Anna Olshäll have finally decided how to handle the meetup. Flights for us are a total mess. We will in best case know 7 days in advance how flights will be. Return flight from Rhodes cancelled 2:nd leg and no plan yet how to return. SAS direct flight to ARN-ATH is now ARN-CPH-BRU-ATH with "early bird" take off 06.00 and late arrival in ATH. Impossible to do a nice plan to enjoy things right now. We will for sure come back next year for 2021 meetup. We still are not sure on restrictions for travellers from Sweden, seams that we are not wanted elsewhere for the moment. Have had a great time enjoying Sweden this year though with visiting National Parks and revisiting WHS. My first review will be Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland. Have now physically been to 5 of the 7 but Coronarestrictions limit entrence. Enjoy the meeting my friends and hope to see You all soon...

Author elsslots
Admin
#54 | Posted: 8 Aug 2020 08:01 
Sorry to hear, Peter. But totally understandable as travel at the moment brings so much uncertainty and we don't know what it will be like in 1 month.

Author elsslots
Admin
#55 | Posted: Today 12:55 
I've received a number of cancellations now, so I think it is a valid question whether we should still hold the 2020 meetup in Rhodes, or postpone it for a year.

Is anybody still determined to come (has confirmed flights, is allowed in and back etc)?

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#56 | Posted: Today 17:02 
I still have all my flights in place and I will definitely travel to Greece if border open. However, my focus is on the Peleponnes sites. Rhodes is nice , but visited before, so would only come for the meetup. Turkey is just a headache, day trip from Greece with this checkin routine could be difficult.

Author sveinh
Partaker
#57 | Posted: Today 17:13 
At the moment we don't have any flights to Rhodes. We would decide closer to the week-end, but now it seems the government has decided for us - they urge no foreign travelling unless it's strictly necessary. So I think Randi and I vote for postponing.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 WHS Meetup 2020

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑