World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

Backlog of technical enhancements

Page  Page 30 of 30:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  28  29  30

Author elsslots
Admin
#436 | Posted: 24 May 2020 09:50 
Jurre:
is there a possibility for a user to set the clock of the forum to his/her timezone

No, unfortunately not. The time that you see is that of the server, which is in the US.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#437 | Posted: 30 May 2020 10:00 
I get a "Fatal error" when I want to display the List of sites

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function fetch_assoc() on bool in /usr/home/elsslots/prd/src/model/factory/YearFactory.php:90 Stack trace: #0 /usr/home/elsslots/prd/src/page/All_Years.php(19): whs\model\factory\YearFactory::get_all_years() #1 /usr/home/elsslots/public_html/scripts/years.php(8): whs\page\All_Years->load() #2 {main} thrown in /usr/home/elsslots/prd/src/model/factory/YearFactory.php on line 90

Author Zoe
Partaker
#438 | Posted: 15 Sep 2020 07:08 
Is it bad that Chrome gives me the "Site not secure" warning?

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#439 | Posted: 15 Sep 2020 07:27 
Zoe:
Is it bad that Chrome gives me the "Site not secure" warning?

It's because of the new images from Els in her turf house review on the main page which point the wrong way to our domain. The images are also too big causing loading issues. If you open a review or country page, no such problem pops up.

Author paul
Partaker
#440 | Posted: 16 Sep 2020 01:40 
I think the "not secure" warning is because you support TLS 1.0 & 1.1 (in your HTTPS configuration). If you remove these protocols it should be OK.

Author elsslots
Admin
#441 | Posted: 16 Sep 2020 05:38 | Edited by: elsslots 
nfmungard:
It's because of the new images from Els in her turf house review on the main page which point the wrong way to our domain.

They always did in all blog posts, I can change the code in the template.

nfmungard:
The images are also too big causing loading issues.

I've changed them yesterday

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#442 | Posted: 14 Oct 2020 19:01 | Edited by: Astraftis 
elsslots

I would like to suggest (and please forgive me if it has already been) to substitute the current use of Google Maps to show all the WHS locations with OpenStreetMap.

Now, this may sound like a big change, but from indirect experience I think that the embedding in the site should be very easy: actually, OpenStreetMap is made to be used and also contributed to by the users. I leave the final word to the more technically experienced on this site, but probably the shift could be done without too much hustle.

As for the motivations, well: the first one is to favour an independent open-source application versus a private data-collecting (and -selling) company. This is already a much debated issue which touches important problems about privacy, so I'll just limit myself to say that, in my opinion, open-source softwares best suit such a collaborative effort from an ethical and a functional point of view (but please, if anyone works at Google here, don't be upset with me, it's nothing personal 🙂). The second and probably most "interesting" motivation, and unrelated to the first one, is that I find that OpenStreetMap is simply a better map: it is clearer, more informative, and has better details. Let's for example compare a view of Delphoi with Google Maps and with OpenStreetMap for an example. It is true OpenStreetMap lacks satellite images and StreetView, and I am not able to gauge how much this is important for users; to me personally it's negligible, at least for its function here.

OK, so I don't know if I was convincing enough 😄 Anyway, let me know what you think about it!

And just another map-related suggestion, would it be possible to add maps for each connection, so as to see their distribution?

Author Zoe
Partaker
#443 | Posted: 20 Oct 2020 00:23 
Have you considered having sub-selections for the sites for reviews? Basically I would select a site to review or stick with "global". I have seen some people review a WHS more than once for different sites. This would not be useful for anything more than 10+ sites I suppose (rockart of the Mediterranean as best example).

Author elsslots
Admin
#444 | Posted: 20 Oct 2020 05:00 
Zoe:
Have you considered having sub-selections for the sites for reviews?

We have considered it before indeed. As we are getting more and more reviews per WHS, a division per location could be good (and keep a 'global' option). Let's think about the requirements and design.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#445 | Posted: 20 Oct 2020 05:36 
Astraftis:
I would like to suggest (and please forgive me if it has already been) to substitute the current use of Google Maps to show all the WHS locations with OpenStreetMap.
Now, this may sound like a big change, but from indirect experience I think that the embedding in the site should be very easy: actually, OpenStreetMap is made to be used and also contributed to by the users. I leave the final word to the more technically experienced on this site, but probably the shift could be done without too much hustle.

Key challenge is that OpenStreetMap last time I checked was not free. You need a tile server and those cost. And with the volume we generate re map access it would be against the spirit to abuse the free openstreetmap version which is intended for lite use.

Astraftis:
And just another map-related suggestion, would it be possible to add maps for each connection, so as to see their distribution?

Generally, yes. Problem was originally we had too much map access and a simple way to limit that was to not provide maps everywhere. Nowadays thanks to on demand load the map situation has ameliorated, so maybe it would be possible.

Zoe:
Have you considered having sub-selections for the sites for reviews? Basically I would select a site to review or stick with "global". I have seen some people review a WHS more than once for different sites. This would not be useful for anything more than 10+ sites I suppose (rockart of the Mediterranean as best example).

We don't really have a location based website. Most things (connections, visits, reviews) are per site. Refactoring that may be a bit cumbersome.

I would rather have a quality sorting (sticky and new come first, then everything else).

Author elsslots
Admin
#446 | Posted: 20 Oct 2020 06:56 
nfmungard:
I would rather have a quality sorting (sticky and new come first, then everything else).

We could sort the reviews on the WHS site page per location, that would be not too much of a change. Or at least make quick access buttons for those. We leave the rest as it is, no connections per location etc.

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#447 | Posted: 20 Oct 2020 16:53 
nfmungard:
Key challenge is that OpenStreetMap last time I checked was not free. You need a tile server and those cost. And with the volume we generate re map access it would be against the spirit to abuse the free openstreetmap version which is intended for lite use.

Hm, I admit my ignorance on the technical side of this... I was inspired by the embedded minimaps that you sometimes see on sites e.g. to show addresses, and I thought they were "static", but I think I can understand a problem. It's a pity! :-/ I can just hope for some free tile server somewhere!

Zoe:

Oh, this would be nice. Would it also mean one ticks only the specific sites they visited instead of everything/nothing? ;-)

Author Zoe
Partaker
#448 | Posted: 21 Oct 2020 01:37 
Astraftis:
Oh, this would be nice. Would it also mean one ticks only the specific sites they visited instead of everything/nothing? ;-)

I think that's the "cumbersome" part nan is talking about although I see how that could be neat too. I think in IT terms it's called "under consideration for Phase 2025" or something :)

Page  Page 30 of 30:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  28  29  30 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 Backlog of technical enhancements

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑