World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

Backlog of technical enhancements

Page  Page 26 of 27:  « Previous  1  ...  24  25  26  27  Next »

Author Zoe
Partaker
#376 | Posted: 18 Aug 2019 01:15 
Just wondering if there is a feature with google map to mark a zone rather than just pinpointa location, which isn't great for (large) natural sites.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#377 | Posted: 18 Aug 2019 03:56 
Hi Zoe, I short yes it is possible. And we probably have some good sources for the data required (will have to check on reuse rights of already existing files though).

In the past I think an issue was the size the maps would then become, and the affect on usage and loading times. I'm not sure if this would still be a concern (I imagine it would still be an issue) but perhaps this is something that we can look into options for. Perhaps having a working file with full details hosted off this site (GitHub perhaps?).

Long term goal would be to have the full set of inscribed sites with shapefiles for the core zones, though don't underestimate how much work would go into that.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#378 | Posted: 18 Aug 2019 10:11 
Data gathering would be Step 1. We would probably only host the areas on the site maps individually, though.

Personally, I would rather see POIs as more useful. E.g. North and Southern parts of Los Glaciares National Park.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#379 | Posted: 19 Aug 2019 05:59 
nfmungard:
Personally, I would rather see POIs as more useful.

Hmm that got me thinking, would we be able to create bespoke maps for each site, with say the Top 5 things to see?

I appreciate this could open up a giant can of worms, and lead us down paths that stray from our core function, but would that be of interest to the community.

There are a lot of sites that on first thought wouldn't need a top 5 if we limit ourselves to the core zone.

As much as I love Olomouc's Holy Trinity column I would struggle, to pick out a five things at a stretch I could get to three and one of those would be look at it!

But on something like Yellowstone National Park (Grand Prismatic Spring, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Mammoth Hot Springs, West Thumb Geysers, Old Faithful) or the Works of leCorbusier (Villa Savoye, Notre Dame du Haut Ronchamp, Chandigarh, Unité d'habitation Marseille, Not bothering with Maison Guiete:)) I think it may be useful to know what the proper highlights are.

Or is that just something we should limit to the narrative of reviews?

Basically should we design a map for travellers to use to whilst in situ to pick out the best of a site, or should we leave that to travellers to construct form other resources and keep our focus strictly on pinpointing the core zone?

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#380 | Posted: 19 Aug 2019 11:39 
I'm not sure if it is just the set up of my computer and phone, but the suggest additional sites for a connection button doesn't really work for me.

On laptop it just tries to open up a blank new page on Chrome (no matter which browser I use tried, Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge and Internet Explorer) It could be my settings as it is a work laptop so rather restrictive.

On i-phone it tries to open up the default mail app that I don't use.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#381 | Posted: 20 Aug 2019 03:19 
Sorry, it feels like I am spamming this board a little at the moment, just suddenly found a bit of time to do some bits on here. But I just noticed that the New section still has the 2018 inscriptions rather than the 2019 ones on it.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#382 | Posted: 27 Aug 2019 04:58 
We put a new release live this weekend. It's primarily about some tweaks and some bug fixes.

Most noticeably, the community page is different. If you don't log in for a prolonged period, you are no longer listed in the community list. Your profile is kept, though, and all it takes is to log in once.

Other fixes:
* The visited site update should be safer.
* TWHS ratings are more embedded and tweaked.
* Maps are improved. Check them out.

Please let us know if you run into issues.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#383 | Posted: 27 Aug 2019 10:57 | Edited by: Zoe 
nfmungard:

Unfortunately it looks like you locked all checkboxes and it's unusable. I tried 3 times and waited for minutes just in case it was still loading but the locked visited sites were checked so i think it was loaded.

nfmungard:
* TWHS ratings are more embedded and tweaked.
* Maps are improved. Check them out.

like the rating but would be better in % than 0.3 or 1.0. otherwise i like the map integration is neat!!

Interested how much the community list was truncated without the inactive users.

Author mrayers
Partaker
#384 | Posted: 27 Aug 2019 18:56 
Zoe:
nfmungard:

Unfortunately it looks like you locked all checkboxes and it's unusable. I tried 3 times and waited for minutes just in case it was still loading but the locked visited sites were checked so i think it was loaded.

I had the same problem, but clearing my browser cache made the page work properly again.

P.S. Zoe, I am not sure if your recent reviews are contemporaneous with your current travels, or if they are from earlier trips, but if they are, we seem to be moving along similar routes. Though you appear to be a number of weeks ahead of me. If you would like to keep acting as a scout, and providing forward intelligence, that would be great. ;-) (I will be going to Guyana, anyway, however.)

Author Zoe
Partaker
#385 | Posted: 27 Aug 2019 20:22 
Okay that did work. Thanks!

Was part of my current trip, good memories for all but Guyana lol just be careful!

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#386 | Posted: 28 Aug 2019 03:08 
Zoe:
Unfortunately it looks like you locked all checkboxes and it's unusable.

Great, it works :D The checklist only is available after previous version is loaded ... but you need the latest javascript.

mrayers:
I had the same problem, but clearing my browser cache made the page work properly again.

And yes, javascript gets cached and I need to do sth going forward to trigger the browser to refresh it without user intervention.

Zoe:
Okay that did work. Thanks!

Best case IT support: Users take care themselves :D

Zoe:
like the rating but would be better in % than 0.3 or 1.0.

Tent ratings still ironing out the edges. But more importantly are more tent ratings.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#387 | Posted: 2 Sep 2019 05:46 
The rating section on the profile page is flawed on mobile:

https://ibb.co/9HJrrJg

Anything above 3 stars doesn't allow for easy tapping and i have to drag the stars from left to right to fill it, sometimes recording a low rating by mistake.

Author joelonroad
Partaker
#388 | Posted: 16 Sep 2019 06:59 
Looks like all of my visited sites have disappeared? On my profile page it still says 462 sites visited or something similar, but then when I click "Update my Count" none of them are ticked. I'm not showing in the community list page either.
I think something went wrong yesterday when I updated my count on a spotty connection, is there a way you can reverse the change removing them all?

Author christravelblog
Partaker
#389 | Posted: 16 Sep 2019 07:41 
meltwaterfalls:
Or is that just something we should limit to the narrative of reviews?

Basically should we design a map for travellers to use to whilst in situ to pick out the best of a site, or should we leave that to travellers to construct form other resources and keep our focus strictly on pinpointing the core zone?

Ideally would be (but only on the country page I guess not the world map):
Core zone: for example red
Buffer zone: striped orange
POI (all inscribed things - places etc): Dots

lots of work. more than happy to assist during coffee time.

BTW, would continent maps with both WHS and TWHS be possible? (or also to much load time?)
i always love to look a bit cross border if i'm somewhere near a border but would love to see then both WHS and TWHS.
alternative, not sure, can the complete file simply be downloaded for personal use? (less problem with load time).

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#390 | Posted: 19 Sep 2019 06:04 
Zoe:
Anything above 3 stars doesn't allow for easy tapping and i have to drag the stars from left to right to fill it, sometimes recording a low rating by mistake.

will see what can be done.

joelonroad:
I think something went wrong yesterday when I updated my count on a spotty connection, is there a way you can reverse the change removing them all?

Els can fix that. I have already added extra security, but spotty connections just suck. Will have to think about it more when I find time. For the time being, don't update when internet sucks.

christravelblog:
Ideally would be (but only on the country page I guess not the world map):
Core zone: for example red
Buffer zone: striped orange
POI (all inscribed things - places etc): Dots

I am not sure where the benefit re buffer zone would be. i also don't think we need each and every core zone. would be an interesting exercise where zones would really help.

POI are the easiest to add as they fit into the existing template.

Page  Page 26 of 27:  « Previous  1  ...  24  25  26  27  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 Backlog of technical enhancements

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑