World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

Backlog of technical enhancements

Page  Page 25 of 27:  « Previous  1  ...  24  25  26  27  Next »

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#361 | Posted: 12 Jul 2019 14:24 

Yes thanks - was trying to use the top list for something it wasn't designed for!

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#362 | Posted: 12 Jul 2019 18:20 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Solivagant:
Was trying to do an analysis of the ratings so far for this year's inscriptions - just how good/bad/mediocre do we see them??

I was surprised by how low the newly inscribed The 20th Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright was at 3.31. Though, maybe I should not be surprised , The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement is only at 2.65! Is this because some reviewers only get a small sample of these serial nominations? Unfamiliarity with modern architecture? Age? Preference for single monuments/buildings as WHS or ancient sites? Overall dislike of modern architecture?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#363 | Posted: 12 Jul 2019 23:03 
winterkjm:
I was surprised by how low the newly inscribed The 20th Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright was at 3.31.

It could be because reviewers have only seen a limited number of the sites (the Guggenheim in New York is different from Fallingwater in rural Pennsylvania and the Robie House in Chicago), but it could also be because of personal taste. I'm happy to see a score above the halfway mark, which shows that reviewers at least consider it above average.

Solivagant:
I wondered if (some time) extra columns could be added to the "Ranking Page"

I like the idea, although I would note that we already have the feature to go individually to the page for each country or each inscription year and find the same information, to include an overall ranking for the country and for the inscription year.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#364 | Posted: 13 Jul 2019 02:30 
elsslots:
P.S.: found it already, it is related to your use of embedded flickr images
@Nan: can you see whether there could be a way that they can be shown in the edit a review page (or at least not result in not displaying an empty review?)

The code view. In general its wysiwyg and Flickr seems to break that. I would rather recommend using the link to external page plus allowing more pics here.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#365 | Posted: 13 Jul 2019 02:32 
Solivagant:
Yes thanks - was trying to use the top list for something it wasn't designed for!

Columns are limited as they get unhandy, especially on mobile. If you want a detailed view, we can probably do that. And scores are already provided in several contexts.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#366 | Posted: 13 Jul 2019 02:35 
winterkjm:
I was surprised by how low the newly inscribed The 20th Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright was at 3.31. Though, maybe I should not be surprised , The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement is only at 2.65

Emphasis is on 20th century. WHS by default should mean outstanding by default, so 2.5*-3 is precisely that to me

Colvin:
It could be because reviewers have only seen a limited number of the sites (the Guggenheim in New York is different from Fallingwater in rural Pennsylvania and the Robie House in Chicago), but it could also be because of personal taste. I'm happy to see a score above the halfway mark, which shows that reviewers at least consider it above average.

And while I only saw the Guggenheim, I feel confident in my score. Its above average, but not on par with palermo or agrigento two sites I recently awarded 4*

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#367 | Posted: 13 Jul 2019 03:11 | Edited by: winterkjm 
nfmungard:
I feel confident in my score.

How we rank WHS can go both ways. Indeed, strange as it sounds there might be an "effort" bias in scoring. For example, take the 2 serial nominations I visited the most components. Is it the effort that led to an inflated score or am I just seeing the holistic value of the site? Both of my scores are above the norm.

The 20th Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (7 of 8 components) RATING 4.5
Royal Tombs of the Joseon Dynasty (13 of 18) RATING 3.0

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#368 | Posted: 13 Jul 2019 03:20 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
Columns are limited as they get unhandy, especially on mobile. If you want a detailed view, we can probably do that. And scores are already provided in several contexts.

Else has already satisfactorily covered this in her post above from yesterday! And the extra columns are there!

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#369 | Posted: 13 Jul 2019 03:34 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
I feel confident in my score.

As (presumably??) does everyone making a rating!!
My main takeaways from "ratings" are
a. The ratings usually tell one more about the rater than the site being rated.
b. There are few sites so bad that someone won't give them a 4.5/5 and few sites so good that someone won't give them a 1/1.5!

A bit like reading and utilising hotel and theatre reviews - one has to determine how much one "rates the rater". And this doesn't just get sorted out in the "averages" -even for sites with a reasonable number of ratings. If most raters like having a swimming pool at their hotel and I just do not want to pay for one and would rather have 24 hr check in then, when looking at the average ratings, I need to take into account that most people rate hotel pools highly. Similarly with "Community" average attitudes to Modern Architecture, Cities, getting to hard to reach places, wine areas, cathedrals etc etc

Regarding this year's additions - we had previously been quite excited about the number of "Top 50 missing" and I had wondered how much this had filtered through to our reviews - In fact the average is down a bit over previous years. This, in my view correctly, reflects the fact that there are also more and more rather mediocre, very poor and duplicate sites being added each year.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#370 | Posted: 31 Jul 2019 23:00 
Els -- I am getting the following error when trying to upload a photo to my review:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 28672 bytes) in /usr/home/elsslots/prd/vendor/gumlet/php-image-resize/lib/ImageResize.php on line 232

I started off with a photo at 1.7MB, resized it to 1.5MB, and then resized it again to 1.0MB and received the same error. All of these should be well under the 2.0MB limit listed. Any idea as to what may be causing this error?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#371 | Posted: 31 Jul 2019 23:04 
And now trying again a few minutes later everything seems to be working; hopefully this was just a temporary glitch.

Author paul
Partaker
#372 | Posted: 9 Aug 2019 10:49 
Just updated my count using a mobile phone in madagascar and all my exiting sites were removed leaving a sorry total of 1! I started recounting but is there a way to restore my count?

Author elsslots
Admin
#373 | Posted: 9 Aug 2019 11:18 | Edited by: elsslots 
paul:
Just updated my count using a mobile phone in madagascar and all my exiting sites were removed leaving a sorry total of 1! I started recounting but is there a way to restore my count?

Yes there is. I will put it back for you to the previous version. Will be done in a few minutes!

P.S: your count has been restored now to the previous 442; especially from instable internet locations this sometimes happens - Nan has worked on a fix (or a mitigating measure) that should be live within a week or two

Author paul
Partaker
#374 | Posted: 10 Aug 2019 07:34 
Thanks Els!

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#375 | Posted: 12 Aug 2019 04:59 
paul:

you need to wait to the previous version is fully loaded. if you submit before your previous visits are loaded, you unset all others. the new release will disable the submit button till load is completed.

@els: thanks for fixing.

Page  Page 25 of 27:  « Previous  1  ...  24  25  26  27  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 Backlog of technical enhancements

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑