| Begin | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

Backlog of technical enhancements

Page  Page 22 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  21  22  23  24  Next »

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#316 | Posted: 4 Feb 2019 23:43 
elsslots:
Nan means the 5 reviews shown with text and photo on your public profile page, you probably mean the list only you see after logging in.

Makes more sense. Good news, bugged me, too. So new version a lot faster.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#317 | Posted: 4 Feb 2019 23:47 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Solivagant:
A shame - you put a lot of effort into that.
Do we know how much of the "usage" is generated by which features and by which users???
I suspect most of us don't actually "need" the maps as often as they actually appear.

The load button will take of that. The main usage is on sites and twhs. That's why the split between Google maps and map box didn't help that much.

In any case, I programmed in a way to make this easily exchangeable. New version will be on mapbox again.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#318 | Posted: 6 Feb 2019 07:13 
Sorry been very busy so haven't contributed as much here recently.

On the Maps there are just two things.

-I think Map Box works pretty well, however are the ways of amending the language of the maps?
They quite fairly display in the local language, however if the country doesn't use the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabet this leaves me a little flummoxed.
I noted it with Els' recent reviews from China, particularly Zuojiang Huashan, I lost all context for where it actually was and had to load up a separate map just to understand it.
I guess it isn't something that we would have any control over, but I thought I would flag it up.

- The other thing is the colour coding for mixed sites. At the moment the display as red so my automatic assumption is that they are the in danger sites. I was just wondering if others had the same issue?
And if so could we perhaps use a different colour for them?

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#319 | Posted: 6 Feb 2019 16:51 
meltwaterfalls:
Map Box works pretty well

We exceeded the free limit of mapbox by 2000 views (1.50$) in January. Unless I provide Credit Card details (which I don't intend to), they will disable the account the next days. It's a bit of a pity that I only noticed by accident (and then too late) how much requests we were sending (>50k).

Unlike google maps mapbox also doesn't offer quotas (otherwise I would have set this up), so I really have no way to limit the map usage. The way it's programmed it's not a biggie to move to the next best provider. But probably the easiest way is to put a load button on each type of page by default and simply stick with google maps and the quotas.

Re languages: I noticed that, too. My hunch is that it's an open street maps thing to show all names in the original name and alphabet.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#320 | Posted: 7 Feb 2019 02:04 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
My hunch is that it's an open street maps thing to show all names in the original name and alphabet.

Both you and meltwaterfallls have far more expertise than I do on "Mapping systems" so this may not be new to you but I found this discussion under Open Street Maps questions which addresses the issue of scripts and would apply to any of the mapping services based on MSM.
It appears that it has been an OSM policy to adopt the script chosen by the local community. So, Thailand uses its own but India adopts Latin. Also that the names in whatever script are part of the bit map and not therefore changeable by settings. It appears however that there are layers available for use (in some/many cases?) which provide for the display of Latinised names at least down to a town level if not to street. See -
https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/40850/map-not-in-english-most-countries-show -native-languages
. Could these be used to at least provide the "Context" referred to by Meltwaterfalls to avoid the problems arising when looking at a map rendered entirely in non Latin script.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#321 | Posted: 9 Feb 2019 05:22 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Happy to report the newest release is live. Please post any findings here. You may need to refresh your browser as the CSS and the JS have changed.

Things we did:

Tentative Ratings
You can now vote up/down for tentative sites. For the time being it's only on the tentative site itself. If this is used we will add it to the ranking page and make use of this more prominently.

Edit Mode for Ratings
Me and Paul repeatedly voted without intending to do so, simply by scrolling. To vote on a site page, you now need to click "vote" first.

Rating Stats
If you like stats (Standard Deviation, Variance), you can now check globally or per user how their ratings compare to the rest.

My page (linked near ratings on profile page): https://www.worldheritagesite.org/community/Nan/rating+stats

Community page (linked in Most Popular): https://www.worldheritagesite.org/community/rating+stats

Unreviewed/Unrated
You can find this information from the most prolific ranking. Or directly via this:
https://www.worldheritagesite.org/ranking/unreviewed+or+unrated

Maps
Unfortunately we had to undo the mapbox usage as they don't offer quotas and intended to charge us for usage. To manage usage a bit better we have implemented load on request only for sites and tentative sites. You need to click a button for the map to show. This will be rolled out to all maps within the following weeks. Hope is that this will help us that google maps helps. Alternatively I will connect yet another map service.

Search Boxes
We have implemented more quick access boxes for Years, Connections and Tentative Sites. I think eventually we will also add one for users and other types of data.

Tentative Review Proposals
The page nudges you to write reviews for tent sites you have visited and that have few reviews.

Performance
I think there are some performance improvements we did, e.g. your admin screen loads faster.

Admin
Els now also can use TinyMCE for her blogs and site data.

Cache Refresh
If a review is published the cache will refresh automatically so the site page should be in sync. No more missing reviews when you click on the read more link.

Featured Blogpost
If all goes by plan, Els blog posts will be features on the top of the site when she publishes.

Updated Libs
Some of the libs we used were old. We updated them.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#322 | Posted: 9 Feb 2019 05:29 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Have moved this comment from Unreviewed sites where I posted in response to els

elsslots:
sparkling new page

Interesting to see which sites have the greatest number of reviews - from Philippines and Pakistan!!

Q - What is the column titled "#" (number/ranking) meant to be?? It seems to give Ranking 1 for those sites which have no visits, reviews, rankings etc etc ie. Chiribiquete - up to Rohtas at 1092 for some reason (largest number of reviews??)
BUT the number assigned to a site never changers whatever the sort sequence. Is that what was intended?? Wouldn't it be better to ALWAYS have 1 - 1092 whatever the sequence so that any site's position in any sequence is always ascertainable??

PS - I WON'T move it again to "New Release"!!!

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#323 | Posted: 9 Feb 2019 05:32 
Solivagant:
BUT the number assigned to a site never changers whatever the sort sequence. Is that what was intended?? Wouldn't it be better to ALWAYS have 1 - 1092 whatever the sequence so that any site's position in any sequence is always ascertainable??

# = Ordering column. Order is set to reflect amount of reviews and if identical then amount of ratings in ascending order. Point is to answer the question what sites are unreviewed/unrated once and for all.

It's part of the framework. It annoyed me, too, but applies to all instances where we use it I believe.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#324 | Posted: 10 Feb 2019 19:10 
Is it no longer possible to edit old reviews? I tried to edit my review for Gaya Tumuli, but I was not successful. The typing space is blank and part of the review text is at the bottom of the page? Seems like some type of error, perhaps my Macbook needs an update?

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#325 | Posted: 11 Feb 2019 03:36 
winterkjm:
Is it no longer possible to edit old reviews? I tried to edit my review for Gaya Tumuli, but I was not successful. The typing space is blank and part of the review text is at the bottom of the page? Seems like some type of error, perhaps my Macbook needs an update?

please do a hard reload of the page. if that doesnt help send me a mail with screenshot.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#326 | Posted: 11 Feb 2019 21:53 | Edited by: winterkjm 
No luck so far. For some reason the text of the review is unchangeable and is not placed in the text box, but a smushed area below where it says:

WHS 1997 - 2019

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#327 | Posted: 14 Feb 2019 13:29 | Edited by: nfmungard 
two things i still need to do:
* bulk rating and bulk tentative favoring screens.
* if tentative favoring works out i will roll it out to reviews etc.

after that i am open for new ideas such as:
* some more backend work for els (connections, links, news)
* top missing
* comments on countries/sites.

any requests or suggestions?

Author Zoe
Partaker
#328 | Posted: 20 Feb 2019 15:30 
How about badges, like "visited x amounts of rock art" in different levels. It links well with our connection.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#329 | Posted: 14 Apr 2019 08:48 
I was thinking it would be nice to have a banner for each country when you visit said page instead of the general one that cycles through at the moment, is that feasible?

Author AJRC
Partaker
#330 | Posted: 15 Apr 2019 12:41 
It looks the link of the official website for Mistaken Point has changed, and the one set in https://www.worldheritagesite.org/list/id/1497 is now obsolete (and it is now working).
The one set right now is: http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/parks/wer/r_mpe/
I guess, the new one is: https://www.flr.gov.nl.ca/natural_areas/wer/r_mpe/

Page  Page 22 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  21  22  23  24  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 Backlog of technical enhancements

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑