World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

Backlog of technical enhancements

Page  Page 19 of 30:  « Previous  1  ...  18  19  20  ...  29  30  Next »

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#271 | Posted: 26 Aug 2018 05:11 
I made the miserable decision to refactor it all over again to incorporate bootstrap v4... For those on whatsapp, I will post a preview soon.

To handle the maps conundrum I have added a second maps profider.
* For the maps, I will use mapbox for sites and tentative sites. Its based on leaflet and I can't quite get the icons to show in the proper color, so I will keep them here.
* The rest will stay with google with the given quotas in place.

I don't know how the map traffic is caused (by what pages). I hope sites make up 40-60% and then this change would help a lot. If not, I will look into restricting user maps going forward. With the growth of the community, this simply doesn't scale, so my hunch would be that:
* You need a complete profile and be an active member to have a public map.
* You will still see your own map in your private area.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#272 | Posted: 26 Aug 2018 11:05 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
I will look into restricting user maps going forward

At what point does the Google "money clock" tick up another "access"? We often get maps when we don't really need them - this is particularly the case with "user maps" both for ourselves and on occasions when we might look at another member's page. Does any display of a "user page" clock a use or only if we go to the map and zoom etc etc?? If the latter could make maps subject to an additional "map request" button?

By the way - I seem to be quite frequently getting a "darkened" version of the maps with "For development purposes only" written across them. I presume that this is what happens when the "quota" kicks in rather than a stage in the transfer to 2 map providers (I see they still have "Google" on the copyright line and also it happens across all map types)?? If so then they still provide the main functions even if they don't "look" as good!! So , IMO, they wouldn't cause a major loss if they came up quite often.

Author elsslots
Admin
#273 | Posted: 26 Aug 2018 13:41 
Solivagant:
By the way - I seem to be quite frequently getting a "darkened" version of the maps with "For development purposes only" written across them. I presume that this is what happens when the "quota" kicks in rather than a stage in the transfer to 2 map providers (I see they still have "Google" on the copyright line and also it happens across all map types)??

Yes it is. It annoys me tremendously, but Nan is working hard finding a lasting solution.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#274 | Posted: 2 Sep 2018 17:09 
I think I found a bug that after updating my visited site I get to the next page including "be the first to rate" and there is no way I see to save the ratings. I know because I have already rated those sites twice and it still asks me to rate them.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#275 | Posted: 2 Sep 2018 19:58 
For some reason, none of the maps on the site works anymore? This pops up? Does anyone know how to solve this?

"This page can't load Google Maps correctly."

Author elsslots
Admin
#276 | Posted: 2 Sep 2018 22:26 
winterkjm:
For some reason, none of the maps on the site works anymore? This pops up? Does anyone know how to solve this?

"This page can't load Google Maps correctly."

See the discussion above, winterkjm. We disable them for a few hours a day to prevent having to pay to Google Maps. Nan is working on a permanent solution.

Author AJRC
Partaker
#277 | Posted: 14 Sep 2018 09:36 | Edited by: AJRC 
Hi.
I've upload a photo for the profile. I can see a link with "Show Picture" in the "edit profile" option, and when I click, I see the picture, so I can guess it has been uploaded correctly. However, it doesn't appear in my profile page.
Can you take a look, please?

I saw in "WHS MEETUP 2018", nfmungard had the same problem, and elsslots talked about the "set photo = 1". I mention this just in case it can be helpful to solve it.

Thanks

Author elsslots
Admin
#278 | Posted: 14 Sep 2018 11:30 
AJRC:
I saw in "WHS MEETUP 2018", nfmungard had the same problem, and elsslots talked about the "set photo = 1". I mention this just in case it can be helpful to solve it.

Yes. This is a message to Nan -> please incorporate this in the next release. I'll now fix it manually in the database for AJRC as well.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#279 | Posted: 16 Sep 2018 09:50 
It is fixed on the dev environment.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#280 | Posted: 18 Sep 2018 05:22 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I guess the photo issue is still a problem, I don't seem to be able to replace one on my review at the moment.

There isn't really any induction that there is a problem, just that the photo never appears.

Author elsslots
Admin
#281 | Posted: 18 Sep 2018 09:49 
meltwaterfalls:
one on my review

which review is it? review photos shouldn't be a problem (you may not see the new pic because of the cache in your PC)

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#282 | Posted: 18 Sep 2018 10:59 
It was Casa Barragan, I just wanted to replace the photo, but when I upload the new one nothing happens except the new file name appearing next to the "Choose File" button, the photo below on the edit page and on the review stays the same.

I've checked the file size and it is 168kB, so under the threshold.

Author elsslots
Admin
#283 | Posted: 18 Sep 2018 13:33 
meltwaterfalls:
I just wanted to replace the photo

I see a pink wall, updated today (18 sept) - is that the new one?

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#284 | Posted: 18 Sep 2018 15:00 
As glamorous as that sounds, yep it is,

It must be my computer as no matter what I do to it it won't update the image, Actually a hard refresh clearing the cache (Shift+F5) has finally kicked it into life.

Right, will bear that in mind, and I'll also check my browser settings as a standard refresh used to work (F5) in these circumstances.

Oh well thanks for that, not fully convince that is a better picture, but Casa Barragan is a tough one to get a photo of.
Thanks kintante for splashing out to give us a decent photo of the interior.

Author Durian
Partaker
#285 | Posted: 19 Sep 2018 00:35 
Dear Els,

There is a mistake. Fanjingshan of China in this webpage is marked as cultural site!

Page  Page 19 of 30:  « Previous  1  ...  18  19  20  ...  29  30  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 Backlog of technical enhancements

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑