World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

WHS Get-together 2016

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next »

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 2 Mar 2016 03:29 
Oh we have a map and an advert! Nice work Els.

I wouldn't be averse to Vilnius, it is certainly enjoyable, though Gdansk would be my preference.

From experience the Belarusian visas were a somewhat laborious undertaking at least for a couple of Brits five years ago. Not as bad as some countries just a fair bit more work than seemed necessary.

I rather enjoyed my time in Minsk, but the WHS aren't much to write home about (I scored Mir a harsh 1 and Neszvizh agenerous 4 out of ten, maybe the Struve Post is magnificent though :)) Sadly Belarus has dropped its two most interesting TWHS, Brest Fortress and Stalist Baroque Minsk, those remaining don't inspire too much interest.

Author elsslots
Admin
#47 | Posted: 2 Mar 2016 04:05 | Edited by: elsslots 
I'm going to advocate for Gdansk a bit more. Feel free to put forward your own favourite destination for the meeting, this only serves as an idea. If you can work out something similar for Burgundy, Edinburgh or Vilnius it would be great. We do not only need a destination, but also some things to see/do groupwise and a place to eat & mingle.

Gdansk
Saturday
Pre-meeting activity: Gdansk Shipyard Tour http://www.toursingdansk.pl/oferty,gdansk_shipyard_and_solidarity_movement.html

Move to Malbork on your own, there are frequent trains
Main meeting:
Guided tour of Malbork castle in the late afternoon, or maybe the Night Tour if they want to open it early for us in the year http://www.zamek.malbork.pl/index.php?p=informacje&aid=65&lang=en
Dinner & meet-up afterwards at castle's facilities

Sunday
Post-meeting activity: ???

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 2 Mar 2016 11:09 
Vilnius - Saturday
* Day trip to Kernave and Trakai Historical National park
* First drinks of the day at Stuve Geometric Arc: BERESNÄKI Paliepiukai Nemežis, Eastern Lithuania, Lithuania.
* Night out in Vilnius

Vilnius - Sunday
* After breakfast: Guided Tour of city.

* Split: Who wants can continue to Curonian Split/Riga/Minsk.

Author clyde
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 2 Mar 2016 16:17 
I'm game for both destinations although I'd have to come via Warsaw to Gdansk (not too bad as its another WHS!). I'd advocate for Edinburgh. Saturday city tour and Sunday Forth Bridge (New Lanark possible and St Kilda, Orkney for longer trips) 3rd and 4th Sept

Author kintante
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 11 Mar 2016 15:51 
I vote for Vilinius. 3 WHS on a weekend sounds great.

Author clyde
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 15 Mar 2016 07:52 
I guess in the end Els will have to decide on the dates and location. Better sooner than later as finding cheap flights in the peak season will get more difficult as time goes by.

Author kintante
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 15 Mar 2016 11:12 
I agree with Clyde. I would really appreciate a quick decision from your side, Els. On both the exact date and place. Don't worry: There will be no date and no place that suites all, but the latest options that were thrown in would all attract enough of us to have a nice get together. Right now there are still some acceptable air fares on the market, but that that might change soon.

Author elsslots
Admin
#53 | Posted: 15 Mar 2016 12:13 | Edited by: elsslots 
I agree we just have to choose something. I can then also inform the rest of the community this weekend, when I plan to send a mass e-mail out about voting for the WHS Top 200.

Shall we say Vilnius on the last weekend of August? (27/28th)

I could use some help later on filling in the details, in finding venues or tours that we can do together from there.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#54 | Posted: 15 Mar 2016 13:38 
Yep, I think Vilnius could work for me.

From the original suggestion of a day trip to Kernave and Trakai, it would probably need a private transport arrangement, but that is something we could sort out once we get numbers. I know the bus route to the Struve Geodetic measuring post, as long as people don't mind a 3km walk at the end of it :) (though perhaps that could be factored in if we get private transport)

Additionally, I visited a Drum and Bass Roller-Disco in Vilnius which I guess would be the ideal night spot for an evening, I'm sure Solivagant for one will be up for that :)

Author evilweevil
Partaker
#55 | Posted: 16 Mar 2016 04:36 

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#56 | Posted: 16 Mar 2016 06:27 
Vilnius sounds good to me. For Saturdays excursion I think we should just get / do our own tour by renting a mini bus / bus based on the number of participants.

I just checked the flights and plan to fly into Palenga Thursday night, go Friday to the Curonian split and then take a bus to Vilnius Friday night.

Author clyde
Partaker
#57 | Posted: 16 Mar 2016 13:16 
Since the only reasonable flights back to Brussels/Charleroi or Frankfurt Hahn seem to be on a Saturday evening, most probably I'll be joining you for only one of the group activities in Lithuania. I plan to visit Tallinn, Riga and the Curonian Spit before heading towards Vilnius.

Author elsslots
Admin
#58 | Posted: 16 Mar 2016 13:26 | Edited by: elsslots 
clyde:
Curonian Spit

It will get busy there with WH travellers!
I just booked a flight to Klaipeda/Palanga on Wednesday, and will visit the Curonian Spit from there on Thursday.
After the weekend, I plan to add a few days in Minsk (and the 2 nearby WHS of course).

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#59 | Posted: 16 Mar 2016 15:09 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Out of interest Els.
What do those with NL passports have to do to get a Belarus visa?
Last time I looked (not long ago), UK Citizens still had to follow the "Russian" type procedure of paying for an "invitation" from a tourist organisation and/or actually using them for "tourist services".

Author elsslots
Admin
#60 | Posted: 16 Mar 2016 15:23 
Solivagant:
Last time I looked (not long ago), UK Citizens still had to follow the "Russian" type procedure of paying for an "invitation" from a tourist organisation and/or actually using them for "tourist services".

It is a bit sketchy still. People have been succesful over the last years with only a hotel booking confirmation, but it's not guaranteed.
See:
http://www.minskguide.travel/belarus_travel_tips/belarus_immigration/how_do_i_apply_f or_belarus_tourist_visa.html

I still have to find out how the Belarussian embassy in NL reacts to that.

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 WHS Get-together 2016
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑