World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

WHS Get-together 2016

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next »

Author clyde
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 27 Jan 2016 11:31 
From those mentioned by hubert, I'd prefer Edinburgh as I've already been several times to the others and have ticked all the nearby sites too.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#32 | Posted: 27 Jan 2016 12:31 | Edited by: Solivagant 
clyde:
I'd prefer Edinburgh

Be aware of - Edinburgh Festival Aug 5 - 29 2016. So, it overlaps the first suggested w/e.
A GREAT time to visit the city but NOT a good time to get a hotel there!! We usually go up at some time for the Festival but finish up at a hotel 50+ kms away!

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 27 Jan 2016 13:17 
Good point about the Edinburgh festival. I think the most overpriced hotel I have ever stayed in was in Edinburgh in August.

Author clyde
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 27 Jan 2016 16:52 
3/4 September would be great then as it should be much cheaper just after the festival.

Author clyde
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 02:54 
Have we decided on a possible date and/or venue? I'd hate it if I were to visit a WHS now and afterwards get to know that it'll be the venue for our get-together 2016. In the meantime, I already booked/visited a couple of destinations on purpose knowing that they haven't been mentioned or considered so far: Cyprus, Macedonia, Kosovo, Wales, Durham to Blenheim (UK). I left Edinburgh and Sardegna out on purpose as they were serious contenders for this year's get-together so far.

Author elsslots
Admin
#36 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 03:10 
clyde:
possible date and/or venue

No, but we have to get it going again. Thanks for bringing it up again.

The date is 27/28 August or 3/4 Sept. I'd suggest to keep both free for now.

nfmungard:
General requirements:* Should be in Europe.* Should not be site everyone has seen already.* Should be half a day's travel from major airport offering cheap flights.

Khuft:
A few additional thoughts could be:- travelling to a major European city, but visit a little-known / difficult to get into place (Horta-style, but maybe there are also options in the Romes, Palermos and Budapests of this world) - travelling to a place where one of us can serve as guide
a. A hard to reach site (whether geographically or because of limited tour options), or
b. A recently inscribed site (either 2015 or some site that will most likely be inscribed in 2016).
I also like the idea of choosing a location with other WHS located nearby, in case anybody who attends would like to visit more while they are in the area.

Places to go:
- St. Kilda / Orkney: would take too much time, not doable in a weekend
- Edinburgh: strong contender for some, but certainly not on 27/28 August due to Edinburgh festival
- Hamburg
- Burgundy / Dijon

Let's rack our brains a bit more about possible destinations...

Author elsslots
Admin
#37 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 03:55 
Maybe we can also come up with something in Eastern Europe.
I've been considering visiting Gdansk myself. Easy access to 2 WHS, itself a TWHS, and could be extended to Kaliningrad for a longer trip.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 04:32 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I've been to Gdansk, but would have no issues with going back it was wonderful (though I am yet to have a bad time in any Polish city I have visited).
Thanks to the healthy Polish expat community there are plenty of cheap airports to fly to in the area from the UK (and elsewhere in Europe I would guess). Bydgoszcz serves well if anyone was looking to incorporate Torun.

From what I have picked up I think the tentative site is pretty much dead, I would be keen to have a tour of the shipyards though.

I've only just noticed that you can get a Kaliningrad only visa (Citizens of Schengen area, UK or Japan). It is still €100 for a three day visa but a lot simpler than a standard Russian visa at least for UK citizens.

Author elsslots
Admin
#39 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 05:48 
meltwaterfalls:
you can get a Kaliningrad only visa

yes indeed, I also have looked into that (you can also pick-up the Curonian Spit WHS from there (russian side))

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 05:56 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I was thinking it would be a good way of getting a tick off on a new country, alas Mrs Meltwaterfalls isn't eligible so it may not be a goer.

If anyone else was interested in Russian visa "work arounds" then you can also get a free three day visa to St Petersburg if you arrive by sea.

Author Khuft
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 07:18 
elsslots:
Maybe we can also come up with something in Eastern Europe.

Any takers for Vilnius? Can also be extended to Curonian Spit / Kaliningrad for those who fancy that... Or possibly to places in Belarus.

Author clyde
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 14:50 
I'd back Vilnius and Gdansk or Warsaw

Author clyde
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 14:58 
Other proposals that come to mind: Mallorca, Ibiza, Corsica, Rhodes, Valencia, Seville, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Riga, Bourgas/Sofia ...

Author elsslots
Admin
#44 | Posted: 1 Mar 2016 23:58 | Edited by: elsslots 
Khuft:
Can also be extended to Curonian Spit / Kaliningrad for those who fancy that

That special Kaliningrad visum does not work from the Lithuanian side, only from the Polish (or by air)

Author clyde
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 2 Mar 2016 03:05 
What would work from Vilnius is a Belarus visa ...

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 WHS Get-together 2016
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑