World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

WHS Get-together 2016

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next »

Author kintante
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 20 Jan 2016 02:57 | Edited by: kintante 
I agree with those who want to make this meeting accessible for as many as possible. We should find a place that can easily be visited within a weekend, including travel to and from the destination. I assume the easy places are the ones most of us already visited. We could either visit in a well know place and revisit some WHS together or go for a TWHS. I have 2 ideas for TWHS:

1. Mining Cultural Landscape Erzgebirge/Krusnohoři (Germany, Czech Rep) – it's rather easy to reach from airports in Dresden, Leipzig or Prague. We could organize a bus or some kind of "rental car pool" to visit several sites within the region. Germany is cheap in food and accommodation and I guess most of you (including me) were never there. Not 100% sure though this one will be included this year. Weimar (2 Sites), Prague, delisted Dresden and some TWHS are within reach

2. England's Lake District (United Kingdom). Not too far away from the airports of Liverpool or Manchester. Also a place where it makes sense to drive a bit around and visit several sites. England is a bit more expensive and the decision not before 2017 is a bit disturbing. Durham, Studley, Saltaire and Liverpool are within reach

I once unsuccessfully attempted to visit Antequera (the closed earlier than scheduled) and don't think it would be a great idea. It's one of these sites you visit in 10 minutes. Stretch it to 40 maybe if you have a guide that talks a lot. Also, it's not cheap to go the Spain during summer holidays. A plus would be that it's close to the Alhambra, one of the list's top sites.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 20 Jan 2016 03:17 
Two remarks:
* Having a local guide / host would be nice.
* Not into current tentative sites.

Author evilweevil
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 20 Jan 2016 04:05 
Very interesting discussion, would be nice to join this time. I really like the Gibraltar suggestion, would be great to visit Gorham's Cave, not sure if this is possible though, even for a group, and we don't know for sure whether it will be inscribed. Maybe something for 2017, could be easily combined with Sevilla, Doñana, Antequera, even Tétouan.

My suggestions would be either one of the Baltic capitals (especially Vilnius, which is a WH site itself and has Kernave and the TL site of Trakai nearby, plus a Struve point) or maybe Mallorca, for those who fancy a sunny weekend in Palma with a side trip to the Tramuntana mountains. There are plenty of cheap flights there from many places, and even though many people will have been to the island itself, I'm sure not everyone has visited the WH site. Maybe not ideal for mid-August, though.

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 20 Jan 2016 07:09 
clyde:
Or Barumini in Sardegna? Plenty of airports with low cost flights ...

I'd be in for this one. It is relatively unvisited, accessible on a weekend-trip from anywhere in Europe and has possibilities (Corsica WHS for example) for an extension to those that want that.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 20 Jan 2016 07:36 
elsslots:
accessible on a weekend-trip from anywhere in Europe

But rather expensive (at least from UK) in the August holiday season.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 20 Jan 2016 08:16 
Flights to Sardinia are expensive all year round from Germany.

The idea about having a host is dead?

Author kintante
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 20 Jan 2016 08:57 
I'd be happy to be your host in Switzerland. But it's not really a cheap destination. Is August set? In terms of flight availability a weekend in June, September or November would be much better.

Sardegna is not too easy to reach just for the weekend. Weekend destinations are best served several times daily.

If somebody manages to get us into Gorham Cave I'd be in anytime.

Author clyde
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 25 Jan 2016 13:59 
Any more ideas? It would be great if you could set a definite date/weekend so we can keep it mind while planning our travels. Last year, I had already planned my road trip in Austria so unfortunately I had to give it a miss. Which ideas intrigued you most Els and which are closer to being discarded?

Author elsslots
Admin
#24 | Posted: 26 Jan 2016 01:44 
It might be best to settle on a date first.

27/28 August would be my first choice, with 3/4 September as an alternative.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 26 Jan 2016 02:15 
Maybe make it a tradition and just pick the same week each year? August/September both fine for me.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 26 Jan 2016 03:16 
Still early in my planning for this year but those dates work for me at the moment.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 26 Jan 2016 03:34 | Edited by: Solivagant 
From a UK point of view
a. These 2 weekends are the height of the UK family travel season since the last Monday in August is the "summer" public holiday and starts the last of the 5-6 weeks summer school holidays.(except in Scotland!). In much of Europe Aug 15 represents the height of that season - a bit earlier (but the first date still coincides with the "retour" in France?)
b. So it is the most expensive and crowded time to get "off the island". Remember - we can't just get into a car and " drive"!!
c. But, on the other hand, few of us without families are going to be choosing that period for a major longer trip unless they have no choice (eg work as or are married to a teacher)! And those with families are probably not coming to this "do" anyway!
d. For those who are working , the first date gives them an extra day's holiday which they are going to have to take anyway. So, " easier" to take an extra day for this trip without feeling one is "using up" limited annual leave.

Author clyde
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 26 Jan 2016 16:17 
Both are fine by me

Author hubert
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 27 Jan 2016 06:37 
Both dates would be fine for me. I would prefer a destination where it is easy to get to and not too expensive, as many as possible should be able to join.
Further: a recently inscribed site as major destination and other WHS in the vicinity as options for further trips.

My suggestions: Hamburg, Burgundy/Dijon or Edinburgh.
Hamburg would be nice, I like the idea of a local host. Tours to the Chilehaus and the Jewish cemetery would be interesting.

Burgundy has plenty of WHS in the vicinity, also some promising TWHS within 200 km: Sainte Marie de La Tourette in Éveux (Le Corbusier), Ronchamp (Le Corbusier), Vichy (Spa).
Reims /Champagne is an alternative, but it is less interesting than Burgundy in my opinion. But it's a good destination for French WWI memorials.

Edinburgh has also a lot of options for additional trips, St Kilda is tempting, but maybe better for a future meeting?

An idea for a daytrip from Hamburg: The Wadden Sea. A hike through the mudflats in a group could be fun. I suppose we are all more interested in cultural sites, but maybe a nature park guide can awaken our enthusiasm for the secret life of lugworms and mussels.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 27 Jan 2016 11:08 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I've only ever visited Hamburg for odd cold winters days, so even though I have been there before I wouldn't be that against it. Also Germany is one of the cheapest places to fly to from London (hence my exceptionally high count of German WHS).

Those dates tie in with the start of the football season, and with two teams in Hamburg the odds may be good of catching a match as well.

Though I certainly wouldn't be against Burgundy, I could get the train down there and tick of a few of my nearest unvisited WHS in the process.

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 WHS Get-together 2016
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑