for World Heritage Travellers

| Begin | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

Unreviewed Sites

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author Colvin
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 20:04 
I also took care of one from the second list earlier this week; I think Els scheduled it for this weekend.

Author elsslots
Admin
#17 | Posted: 22 Dec 2018 01:36 
Poverty Point and Al-Ahsa now covered. Thanks Colvin and Zoe!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 22 Dec 2018 22:10 
Alas, that's all I can do off the second list unless I get some more traveling done. Hope you get some more reviews off the lists!

Author GaryArndt
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 26 Dec 2018 21:57 
I've been to several of these. I just haven't done a write up yet.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 25 Jan 2019 12:25 
35 left

Author elsslots
Admin
#21 | Posted: 25 Jan 2019 13:12 | Edited by: elsslots 
Zoe:
35 left

Yeah, it's your upcoming review of Qinghai Hoh Xil that brought it down

Author Zoe
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 1 Feb 2019 08:29 
I think there was one before but I can't pinpoint it, and another since my review. I will be adding Barberton in the next few days if I get around to it. I have so many other reviews in line so it will be published in like May ;)

Author elsslots
Admin
#23 | Posted: 1 Feb 2019 08:49 
Zoe:
I have so many other reviews in line so it will be published in like May ;)

Yeah. I have a maximum of 1 Zoe a day! They are very much appreciated though.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 1 Feb 2019 09:02 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
I think there was one before but I can't pinpoint it, and another since my review. I will be adding Barberton in the next few days if I get around to it. I have so many other reviews in line so it will be published in like May ;)

I think quite a lot of us would be interested in hearing more about your recent/current World (??) travels which take in so many countries in such a short time!! A bit of background would help us understand/appreciate your reviews and the sort of travel style which is informing them!
Are you indeed on a "world tour"? Are you self driving in most places - certainly possible in Iran (except that, if you are travelling on a US/UK or Canadian visa (I presume you are using your Chinese passport where "beneficial" - as it certainly is in Iran) you have to have a "Guide" - as we did almost 3yrs ago). But your Saudi review implied that you were driving there too?? ("I wanted to come a day earlier but got stuck on a road leading into the dessert which I guess I wouldn't know without reading an Arabic sign" (Hail) Has the female driving revolution gone so far so soon?

You seem to be travelling in a generally East to West direction (??) but the reviews don't always seem to be in a logical travelling sequence order -India, Iran, Egypt - but now suddenly S Africa!! And in India seemed to concentrate mainly on East and West (Assam and Gujarat) I will be interested in your Barberton review - we crossed over what has since become the inscribed area from Eswatini to Barberton way back in both 1979 and 1988 - but, although I have "counted" it, I have never reviewed it, as my info would be so out of date and of course couldn't focus on the "WHS values" - so not of much use to anyone.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 1 Feb 2019 09:10 
Solivagant:
I think quite a lot of us would be interested in hearing more about your recent/

As much as I am wondering myself, I think this doesnt quite belong in the unreviewed sites threat ;)

We are working btw on providing a list automatically. It's not yet quite ready for testing, though.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 1 Feb 2019 09:12 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
As much as I am wondering myself, I think this doesnt quite belong in the unreviewed sites threat

No , but it was in response to Zoe's post about Barberton under this topic!

Author Zoe
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 1 Feb 2019 12:37 
It's okay. I travel a lot ever since I was a child thanks to my dad but lately more because I have a gap year before heading back to NZ for study in the Fall (or Spring down there). I was in India, then Saudi Arabia which allows female driving for I think over a year already and we don't have to cover our hair unless entering a mosque, yet in the smaller town it is still recommended. After that Iran which was wonderful even in winter and I entered on my Chinese passport else I would need a visa and worse: issues every time I cross into the States. Here I learned the riqué "half cover" style. Turkey then Egypt before heading to South Africa. I know this sounds silly but I am on a budget so a lot of traveling depends on affordable flights. The connection from Cairo to JB was so cheap so I don't mind going in the "wrong" time of the year, plus I won't be solo traveling the long drives so it's gonna be fun, with the daytrip to Lesoto my 100th country to visit.

Barberton has changed I think, they built a road or improved a road that features lots of geology panels. It gets great reviews for even making geology exciting.

I write reviews based on the photos I have available. If I only shot on my camera I need to transfer and it takes some effort. Traveling keeps one busy but I had time on the bus to write some reviews. If I self-drive them my time is very limited. Besides I don't always know what to write about a place straight away.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 1 Feb 2019 13:03 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
but lately more because I have a gap year before heading back to NZ for study in the Fall (or Spring down there)

Thanks Zoe - so another 7 mths to go approx?? 30 weeks @ 3- 4 WHS a week = another 100+???
And you are being incredibly "thorough" on the T List sites.
Look forward to the reports to come!!

Author Zoe
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 2 Feb 2019 01:46 
Yes pretty much, it should take me to 750 easily, Europe is sometimes 2-3 WHS a day! I will spend some time in China and Canada doing other things though, and probably surfing in Indonesia. As Europe is very far for me I'm usually thoroughly visiting a country no matter WHS, TWHS or just a nice place. This year I will try to see the rest of France, Germany, Italy, Malta, Greece and Norway and hopefully back to Canada via Iceland and Greenland but that is still a dream at the moment lol Besides, the domestic flights in Scandinavia and Canada are a killer.

Just to pretend we are still on topic, how about a review for the Jamaican mountains? :D

And regarding Risco Caido I also tried to organize a visit but the emails were not answered. They apparently do a tour once every week if enough people show interest but I didn't want to schedule my trip just for their silly opening times with the risk that the tour isn't happening, and anyway there was no contact person available.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 2 Feb 2019 05:40 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
And regarding Risco Caido I also tried to organize a visit but the emails were not answered. They apparently do a tour once every week if enough people show interest

I am not sure about that. -though I too read it. The guide at Bentayga indicated to me that it was actually closed in Jan 19.
I found examples of reports from 2016 but I suspect that things might have changed - possibly tied in with the Nomination tko ensure that ICOMOS/UNESCO can have no cause for concern about too many or or inappropriate visits
Here is a link to a blog of someone who managed to visit in Oct 2018 having waited 3 years to get a place (in Spanish).
A few sentences from it after auto translate -
" It is only possible to visit between the equinoxes of spring and autumn, in very small groups -of only 10 places- and previous reservation.
Obviously the seats fly as soon as the registration period opens and if you are not fast (or you are clueless as is our case) you can access or not the visit of Risco Caído will depend on the advance waiting list. And you will not know if you do it until a couple of days before the visit if you receive a call with the good news. Three years of waiting list has cost us access!
"
It also mentions the upcoming "replica" (I have also seen something about a virtual reality "show")

Here is the official procedure for 2018 - pdf in Spanish - https://visitas.grancanariapatrimonio.com/uploads/18_NORMATIVA_PARTICIPACION_RISCO_CA IDO18.pdf
It confirms that the program is May - Sept only (first trip in 2019 is on May 5th so the !Equinox" is only "approx" and registration starts on April 23rd!!). Max of 12 persons and a min of 6 for it to take place. Free. Viewing only from entrance of caves. Bookings not transferable. Allocation in sequence of request. Documentation of request needed to be shown. Applic on line at https://visitas.grancanariapatrimonio.com/ or in person. Waiting list of 200 will be kept and empty places will be filled from it with NO choice of dates!!! If chosen you will be notified by e-mail and MUST respond with at least 24hrs to spare if unable to attend - or will be blackballed!! Departure from Artnerara Church at 6.45 am - aim to be at cave for 8.00 am astronomical observation (explains why trip is provided only in "Summer" months??) . Entire trip takes 4hrs 30 mins.

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 Unreviewed Sites

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑