World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

New version of the website

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author evilweevil
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 13 Oct 2014 10:06 
Somehow I miss the reviews from your own trips that were prominent on the old version. Maybe these could somehow be highlighted again, separate from the other reviews.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 13 Oct 2014 10:18 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Is not the new feature with the Blog the place Els travels will be posted? I think this is an improvement. As most people can probably attest, it was always interesting to see where Els was off to next. But I felt this belongs in a blog type section, not necessarily on the homepage, no?

The previous homepage sometimes got a bit stale if the one of Els previous trips were on the page for a multiple weeks or even a month. I think the "Blog" tab is a perfect addition, because we can still see, enjoy, and be inspired by Els new adventures, but not continuously see the same travel photos/descriptions on a daily basis when Els is not traveling as frequently.

On another note, I want to highlight Solivigant's opinion, which I also share.
Solivagant:
it also sets the stage for what the site "is" and this says "I am Els and this is my travel blog". Now, you put a very large amount of effort into this site and you are perfectly entitled to badge it as you wish but that is what it says. Is this "17 year journey" intended to be changing relatively frequently -a sort of "Editorial" which is not always about the site/Els's own travels - if so then fair enough (though whether you will be able to find enough material for regular editorials we will see! But, in my opinion, it should be less prominent on the front page which should be more like a genuine "Home Page" - the main things for the home page have been "relegated" to the RHS whereas the opposite would seem more appropriate.

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 13 Oct 2014 10:48 
winterkjm:
The previous homepage sometimes got a bit stale if the one of Els previous trips were on the page for a multiple weeks or even a month. I think the "Blog" tab is a perfect addition, because we can still see, enjoy, and be inspired by Els new adventures, but not continuously see the same travel photos/descriptions on a daily basis when Els is not traveling as frequently.

This is exactly what I meant to do. Thanks for so clearly explaining it, winterkjm! I plan to now change the "blog" part of the homepage and the website once a week (on Sunday to be specific). Those updates will mostly be reports of my trips to WHS and TWHS, that hopefully will cover some 40 weeks. I have a few ideas how to fill in the other weeks, and all blog posts will be WHS related.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 14 Oct 2014 00:28 | Edited by: winterkjm 
How does other users feel about the Resources page? Much of this content has been around for quite a while. And I doubt much of it is utilized. Is there anyway to improve this section?

Perhaps including the link for Google Earth to locate all serial WHS and TWHS?

Maybe official country pages would be more apparent here?
- Special Links: UNESCO Country Pages or Official Facebook pages

Games: http://www.travelpod.com/traveler-iq/unesco

User links for photos - Flickr, etc

Just throwing ideas out there. For me this is the least viewed area.

Side note: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/danger.php
- link opens to an incomplete page

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 14 Oct 2014 01:02 | Edited by: winterkjm 
TOP 25 MOST VISITED WHS

All (25) are located in N. America/Europe

How about the 5 most visited per Region? Would this not be more interesting and informative?
Africa
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
Arab States
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
Asia and the Pacific
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
Europe and North America
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
Latin America and the Caribbean
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Author elsslots
Admin
#21 | Posted: 14 Oct 2014 03:50 
I made a mistake with the homepage version this morning, will change it back again this afternoon!

Author elsslots
Admin
#22 | Posted: 14 Oct 2014 10:57 
winterkjm:
How about the 5 most visited per Region? Would this not be more interesting and informative?Africa1)2)

Yeah I think I would like that.

The only problem is that at the moment I don't have the countries connected to a continent, so I would have to make that effort first. The division you provided above, is that the official UNESCO one? Do you have a list of which country is "assigned" to which continent?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 14 Oct 2014 11:05 | Edited by: winterkjm 
This is the official UNESCO regional breakdown. If you use the UNESCO webpage, go to the list and select region, and it will separate all countries and WHS by region.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/&order=region

Author hubert
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 14 Oct 2014 13:45 
Though I liked the colours of the old website, I must admit that I prefer the new layout. There are several new features that provide a better presentation of the contents: tabs on the top line, better structure of the sidebars, new Blog tab.
And of course the new size of the pictures. That's a major improvement and offers much more options for selecting photos, in this size all motifs should work well. I just started to re-upload my photos, they look much better now.

Updating the Ressource page, as suggested by winterkjm, is a good idea, eg a lot of useful links have been posted in the forum threads that are worth to be collected.

I've only a minor suggestion:
I miss the line '961 of 1007 WHS have been covered by visitors of this website'. The reviews are a major attraction of this website and the impressive number is something to be proud of.

Author elsslots
Admin
#25 | Posted: 14 Oct 2014 15:57 
hubert:
miss the line '961 of 1007 WHS have been covere

That was an easy request to implement!

Author Khuft
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 15 Oct 2014 03:39 
I really like the new site - congrats, Els!
In addition to the bigger pictures, I really appreciate the links to latest forum posts and the list of recent new Tentative sites on the right hand of the TL page. Also looking forward to how the blog evolves.

One tiny thing: the numbers in brackets on the WHL page refer to serial elements; on the TL site they refer to number of reviews. This got me confused the first time. Maybe an short info could be added at the top of the TL page, or the number in brackets on the TL page could be deleted completely (they don't immediately appear for the main sites either, after all).

Author elsslots
Admin
#27 | Posted: 15 Oct 2014 04:52 
Khuft:
congrats, Els!

Thanks!

Khuft:
number in brackets on the TL page could be deleted completely

I deleted them, to stay in line with the WH list

Khuft:
the list of recent new Tentative sites on the right hand of the TL page

the list was there too in the old version, but less prominent

Author elsslots
Admin
#28 | Posted: 15 Oct 2014 06:53 
winterkjm:
How about the 5 most visited per Region? Would this not be more interesting and informative?

Did it like this now: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/allvsites.html

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 15 Oct 2014 09:27 
I do think the information is much more interesting. Yet, its a lot to include in the community section. Nevertheless, I would prefer the full list, compared to Top 25 which really is only a sliver of interesting information. It basically tells us, the majority of the users of this website are European. While this is still true in the full list, it gives us interesting information about more accessible sites, the most popular sites around the world, and the truly remote, etc.

Author elsslots
Admin
#30 | Posted: 15 Oct 2014 09:38 
winterkjm:
most popular sites around the world, and the truly remote,

I noticed for example that more people actually visit Cuzco then Machu Picchu (3 more)!

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 New version of the website

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑