World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  

Els's To-Do List

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author joycevs
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 10 Aug 2008 11:01 
haha, yes they could send us to companies as the duo experts for PHP and testing :-P
mwah, I'd rather stick to my own job

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 10 Aug 2008 11:52 | Edited by: Solivagant 
I did give Joyce some info on Romanian sites - under your other q on the subject - ie maps.
am happy to give more but my reviews say most of what there is to say unless you have particular qs

Have visited
Danube Delta
Biertan and its Fortified Church
Churches of Moldavia
Monastery of Horezu
Sighisoara

Author paul
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 13 Aug 2008 07:08 
It would be nice to have the visited sites list visible in a user's profile.

Also you could perhaps make a "name and shame" list of user's who have visited un-reviewed sites, (I'm guilty).

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 17 Aug 2008 07:38 
paul:
It would be nice to have the visited sites list visible in a user's profile.

Done!

Later on I, as more people have filled in their visited list, I will merge the lists of visited sites with that of the reviewed sites (indicating which one of the visited sites has been reviewed - a subtle 'name and shame'!)

Author Durian
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 21 Jan 2013 04:40 
Els,

I understand that you already visit Rio and Bali, why your reviews still not post yet?

Author elsslots
Admin
#21 | Posted: 22 Jan 2013 10:49 
Durian:
Els,I understand that you already visit Rio and Bali, why your reviews still not post yet?

I don't have much to say about them. I visited them before I knew they were to become WHS, and did not pay special attention to the elements that have got them their status.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 23 Jan 2013 02:59 
Following the interesting "first review" of Yagul and Mitla Caves all reference to the Zapotec site of Mitla (but not of the similar period site of Yagul) needs to be removed now that it has been pointed out that it isn't within the inscribed area?
a. Photo
b. Connection for Mosaic Art
c. References in the intro

Author elsslots
Admin
#23 | Posted: 23 Jan 2013 03:55 
Solivagant:
Following the interesting "first review" of Yagul and Mitla Caves all reference to the Zapotec site of Mitla (but not of the similar period site of Yagul) needs to be removed now that it has been pointed out that it isn't within the inscribed area?a. Photob. Connection for Mosaic Artc. References in the intro

Yes it is an interesting conclusion, but a right one from what I gather from the nomination file. Wikipedia has the Zapotec Mitla linked to the WHS also. But the WHS is only about the prehistoric caves in the region. I'll remove the connections etc

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 23 Jan 2013 04:02 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
But the WHS is only about the prehistoric caves in the region.

No - not strictly I think - the Zapotec ruins at Yagul ARE within the boundary -so, for instance, its ball game court means that Connection is valid whilst it has no mosaics (or at least to my knowledge no significant ones). On the other hand we could say that these Yagul Zapotec remains play absolutely NO part in the OUV of the site. In which case it is a bit surprising that they were not excluded from the inscribed area! As I look at the map it does a slight NW "jink" to include those ruins and could easily have missed them out.

The AB evaluation does refer to the Yagul Zapotec site ("The remains built mainly of stone and mud mortar consist, principally, of the Palace of Six Patios or 'labyrinth', the classically designed Ball Court facing east-west; a U-shaped building on one of the highest
points of the site; the Council Room, built on a platform; five further patios and the Fortress following the natural, almost circular form of the highest hill.
").

It appears to give the Yagul Zapotec site relevance as follows
"The site of Yagul reflects the break-up of Zapotec hegemony in the Oaxaca valley, with the abandonment of Monte Alban (inscribed in 1987), and the subsequent diffusion of power and development to smaller urban centres, such as Yagul. It is suggested that these states would not have reached such levels of socio-cultural sophistication had it not been for agriculture. Yagul thus represents a different stage in the development of the valley."

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
About this website www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 Els's To-Do List

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑