World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

| Forums | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /

TWHS Maps - The data

Page  Page 26 of 27:  « Previous  1  ...  24  25  26  27  Next »  
Author elsslots
Admin
#376 | Posted: 24 Dec 2017 13:34 | Edited by: elsslots 
elsslots:
19. Cathédrale de Bamako

Added this one. I'll work my way down from 20.
If someone else wants to start finding locations from no. 1 or from 10, be my guest!

P.S.: will do the others as well, nothing else to do on Christmas Day

Author Solivagant
Registered
#377 | Posted: 13 Apr 2018 02:48 | Edited by: Solivagant 
I note that "The Ancient Waterfront Towns in the South of Yangtze River" has, incorrectly, been given 5 locations on this web site . The first, however, is just the title of the collection of 4.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#378 | Posted: 13 Apr 2018 08:12 
Ah just saw there was a list on here of t-sites that were previously missing location data.

Are there any that are currently missing it?

Author elsslots
Admin
#379 | Posted: 13 Apr 2018 09:47 
meltwaterfalls:
Are there any that are currently missing it?

I don´t think so, at least my query isn´t showing any.

Author Zoe
Registered
#380 | Posted: 14 Apr 2018 13:38 
Solivagant:
I note that "The Ancient Waterfront Towns in the South of Yangtze River" has, incorrectly, been given 5 locations on this web site . The first, however, is just the title of the collection of 4.

I think this is a more common issue with tentative stuff? Augustow Canal also has this but is missing a lock, but before knowing what is inscribed this is difficult because there is also at least one small sleuth with a historic marker (they use the UNESCO sign already before being inscribed). I didn't drive to the "missing lock" because the road signs up there are not that great and it's all gravel road. Seeing half of the canal is already pretty good...

Author Solivagant
Registered
#381 | Posted: 15 Apr 2018 01:59 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
also has this but is missing a lock, but before knowing what is inscribed this is difficult because

Yes - we have a "problem" regarding how to choose coordinates for linear T List sites such as this. The Polish UNESCO entry states that "The area proposed for inscription onto the World Heritage List of UNESCO covers the whole length of the historical Canal." The Belarus entry on the other hand mentions just 3 locks.
Then the Polish UNESCO entry gives 3 different coordinates -these are the respective ends of the Canal in Poland (Biebrza) and Belarus (Nemon) together with the town of Augustow. The Belarus entry gives no coordinates at all!!
For the Coordinates on this site we have chosen
2 in Poland - Biebrza and Augustow
4 in Belarus - the 3 locks (one of which is at the eastern end of the canal at Neman) plus a "general" one titled "Augustow Canal" which isn't even ON the canal!

The Canal du Midi, also inscribed for its entire length only has 1 location. But how would UNESCO handle "locations" for a transborder canal? Surely it would need a location in each country? Who knows?? In the mean time it might be better to remove the 4th location (titled "Augustow Canal") from our Belarus map - that way we will have both ends in the 2 countries, the town of Augstow AND 2 extra locks in Belarus all represented??

Whilst we can choose how WE handle T List locations our objective of trying to stay in sync with UNESCO Inscribed locations wherever these are correct creates a problem where these fail fully to "represent" large or linear WHS (e,g Canal du Midi). One way round this would be to go for the solution once suggested by Nan - ie to introduce "Points of Interest" coordinates within the official locations - but a big job and difficult to know how small to grind!

Author Solivagant
Registered
#382 | Posted: 15 Aug 2018 10:37 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Have just noticed an error in the coordinate data for
Monuments, Sites and Cultural Landscape of Chiang Mai, Capital of Lanna
The location titled Mae Kha has been placed in the north of Thailand up towards the Myanmar border.
That is a different Mae Kha altogether!!!
The Mae Kha which forms part of the T LIst entry is "1.4) Mae Kha..........a stream which runs from the north of the Chiang Mai old city and curves along the shape of the outer moat, forming an additional natural moat from the northeast to the southeast of the old city of Chiang Mai. Recently it has become badly polluted and the Chiang Mai community and the Municipality is trying to find the cause and solve the problem." ( from UNESCO - http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/6003 )
"The canal was excavated as a second layer protection from flooding when the city was established in 1296." See - https://www.asla.org/2016studentawards/161372.html

As a canal it is quite long and I can find no particular "scenic" location to choose for coordinates. It must be so degraded that Google maps doesn't even show its entire length (though my somewhat ancient Lonely Planet does - complete with name!). I have therefore chosen the first location on Google maps to the east of Chiang Mai in which it appears -
18.784037, 98.998699

Author elsslots
Admin
#383 | Posted: 15 Aug 2018 11:40 
Solivagant:
18.784037, 98.998699

Thanks, I have updated it

Author Solivagant
Registered
#384 | Posted: 4 Sep 2018 10:29 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Was doing some detailed planning for some upcoming visits to T list sites in SW France/Pyrenees and noticed a couple with errors.
Andorra
Ensemble historique de Santa Coloma

It does indeed have 2 locations but we have currently given them both the same (incorrect) name and wrongly located them. The correct locations and coordinates are
L'église de Santa Coloma 42.494230, 1.497533
L'église de Sant Vicens d'Enclar 42.495738, 1.493769

France
Ensemble de grottes à concrétions du Sud de la France

We currently have this listed as having but a single location. In fact the UNESCO T List entry states that there are "19 cavités, ou groupes de cavités du sud de France dont plus de la moitié sont situés dans la Montagne Noire (Aude et Hérault)" - but says no more!!
This T List site has been nominated in 2001 and 2007, being withdrawn on each occasion, and I have found a number of entries which refer to 18 locations at those times. Whether there is a difference because of different definitions of caves/groups of caves, or whether a further cave has been added since 2007, I don't know. Other documents refer to 24 sites (see below) - again that might count each cave separately
Here is the list of 18 (taken from the IUCN Evaluations of 2001 - http://whc.unesco.org/archive/2001/whc-01-conf205-inf5e.pdf . Interesting in itself for the "reasons" for non inscription!). I have had a go at finding coordinates -but am a bit short of time and some caves only seem to have an address of the club/owner in order to keep them limited in access! -
Gouffre d'Esparros 43.030078, 0.329935
Grotte de la Cigalère 42.827180, 0.907216
Grotte du TM 71 42.762820, 2.090274
Grotte d'Aguzou 42.762593, 2.091070
Grotte du Reseau Lachambre
Grotte Bleue
Cabrespine-Trassanel Group (Cabrespine, Trassanel, Gaubeille, Embuc, Limousis) 43.359341, 2.456997
Lauzinas
Pousselière
Grottes de l'Asperge-Rautely (Asperge, PN71, Grotte du Rautely)
Mont Marcou
Clamouse 43.709802, 3.552644
Grotte des Demoiselles 43.907612, 3.744276
Aven des Perles 43.801372, 3.355452
Amélineau
Aven Armand 44.220085, 3.357754
l'Aven d'Orgnac 44.318612, 4.412223
Grotte de Choranche 45.072068, 5.397358

These links show the optimism surrounding the second Nomination - "Les concrétions des grottes françaises bientôt classées au Patrimoine Mondial"
https://www.tourmag.com/Les-concretions-des-grottes-francaises-bientot-classees-au-Pa trimoine-Mondial_a13586.html
and "La démarche initiée par le ministère de l'Environnement avec l'appui technique de la Diren Midi-Pyrénées, a toutes les chances d'aboutir" - https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2006/04/20/70768-unesco-dix-huit-grottes-sortent-de- l-ombre.html

But - never mind!!! Despite failing to gain inscription (TWICE!) the local sites can still claim "UNESCO" aspects - "Elle fait partie de l'ensemble de 24 grottes à concrétions du sud de la France inscrite par l'UNESCO en 2000 sur la liste indicative du patrimoine mondial naturel, antichambre de la liste du patrimoine mondial." It was very good of UNESCO to inscribe them on the "liste indicative"!!

Author elsslots
Admin
#385 | Posted: 4 Sep 2018 13:13 
Solivagant:
Andorra
Ensemble historique de Santa Coloma
It does indeed have 2 locations but we have currently given them both the same (incorrect) name and wrongly located them. The correct locations and coordinates are
L'église de Santa Coloma 42.494230, 1.497533
L'église de Sant Vicens d'Enclar 42.495738, 1.493769

Thanks. I've changed it.

Solivagant:
France
Ensemble de grottes à concrétions du Sud de la France

Will add those too asap.

Author Zoe
Registered
#386 | Posted: 22 Nov 2018 06:44 | Edited by: Zoe 
https://www.worldheritagesite.org/tentative/id/5458
https://www.worldheritagesite.org/tentative/id/6097

Kind of confused on this one. The SA entry says it includes Namibia but they have an extra listing just for Namibia. Either way the SA page 5458 should have the map and info for SA as well which are correct on the SA page.

Author elsslots
Admin
#387 | Posted: 23 Nov 2018 06:37 
Zoe:
Kind of confused on this one. The SA entry says it includes Namibia but they have an extra listing just for Namibia. Either way the SA page 5458 should have the map and info for SA as well which are correct on the SA page.

This is actually a technical issue (it is on our to do list), as it cannot distinguish between 2 sites with the same name. I've now changed their individual names by adding Namibia and RSA respectively, that does the trick.

Author Zoe
Registered
#388 | Posted: 23 Nov 2018 23:14 
I see, still confused if the RSA entry covers both as the UNESCO sites claims or the new Namibia entry wants to break off from the transboundary attempt for any reason.

Author elsslots
Admin
#389 | Posted: 24 Nov 2018 00:10 
I think it's clearly transboundary, but a TWHS is always 1 country only. They only combine at WH nomination.
The text "State, Province or Region: South Africa and Namibia" at the UNESCO website for the RSA nomination is just an anomaly.

Author Zoe
Registered
#390 | Posted: 11 Dec 2018 11:00 
The Persian Caravanserai are annoying to figure out because the document uses odd names. I am planning to visit these two instead of the sole mapping we have already:
31.41172, 54.70693 Zein-o-din (a lodge along the main road to/from Yazd)
36.26949, 50.00012 Sa'adol Saltane (apparently the best one?)

https://www.worldheritagesite.org/tentative/id/6197

Totally it should be 25.

Page  Page 26 of 27:  « Previous  1  ...  24  25  26  27  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? / TWHS Maps - The data Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®