World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /  

WHS Map - the Data

Page  Page 24 of 25:  « Previous  1  ...  22  23  24  25  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#346 | Posted: 1 Aug 2021 15:21 | Edited by: elsslots 
Pavel:
All together = 78 components with 94 parts

The new Limes sites suffer from the same: TWHS components split into more tiny locations.

Anyway, thanks for researching it and I will try to update the map shortly.

Author Pavel
Partaker
#347 | Posted: 1 Aug 2021 15:57 | Edited by: Pavel 
elsslots
As I really enjoyed some of the components and I am planning to go to others (but deffinitely not to all of them!!!), it was fun for me to count the WHS beeches!
Limes are tick off for me with Cologne, Regensburg and Vienna, and it would be purgatory for me to count all the components... So, good luck ;)

Author elsslots
Admin
#348 | Posted: 2 Aug 2021 04:06 | Edited by: elsslots 
I think so. The nomination file says: Component part 6a refers to the still upstanding parts of the main gate/porta praetoria, the eastern gate tower of which is preserved up to a height of at least 11 m, and the right doorway of which still stands up to a height of about 6 m

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#349 | Posted: 2 Aug 2021 07:34 
carmendavid:
Is Porta Pretoria in Regensburg included?

elsslots:
I think so.

Yep I agree, it is specifically named in the locations listed on the nomination.

Also it would be an odd ommision to exclude one of the few actually visible components, but I guess if they did they could pursue it as a seperate world heritage site by itself ;)

Author Pavel
Partaker
#350 | Posted: 2 Aug 2021 08:31 
carmendavid:
Is Porta Pretoria in Regensburg included?

Yes.
Further details with maps, photos and correspondence with the state party of Hungary here (all Hungarian components included yet):
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1608/documents/

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#351 | Posted: 17 Aug 2021 16:19 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I have now compiled all the boundary files for UK (excluding the overseas territories at the moment) and it is fully up to date (with those Welsh Slate Mines and no Liverpool)

Though in doing so I found out I have definitly been in the core zone of the Slate Mining Landscape (so has anyone who has travelled between Conwy and Caernafon via Bangor. Though I'm not going to count it as a visited site.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#352 | Posted: 17 Aug 2021 18:30 
And here is a start on the USA National Parks

This is all of the WHS in the USA that are National Parks or National monuments (except Grand Canyon which is causing issues at the moment)

This means there are a few sites missing:
Cahokia Mounds
Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings
Grand Canyon
Monticello and University of Virginia
Papahanaumokuakea
Taos Pueblo

Chaco Culture selected components: (Kin Bineola, Kin Ya'a, Casamero, Kin Nizhoni, Pierre's site, Twin Angels and Halfway House)

Author Colvin
Partaker
#353 | Posted: 18 Aug 2021 00:04 | Edited by: Colvin 
meltwaterfalls:
And here is a start on the USA National Parks

This is looking great! Just one comment on Alaska, since I was up there earlier this year — the US components of the glacier parks WHS are Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve, and Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, which cover a bit more area than you currently have demarcated.

This is a nice project you have going — thanks for sharing!

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#354 | Posted: 18 Aug 2021 01:25 
Thanks, I thought Alaska wasn't looking right, I will see if I can add in Glacier Bay.

Author hubert
Partaker
#355 | Posted: 18 Aug 2021 09:31 
Pavel:
Summary after 2021 extensions

Thank you very much, Pavel. Your two posts are very helpful and bring some order to this mess. Especially because the Unesco website does not currently provide a list of the components. Maybe they have lost track as well.

A question on the Italian components:
The former (and now deleted) T-list entry included one more location, Foresta del Cansiglio.
Does anyone know the reason why it was not nominated? It is in Veneto and would be the Italian beech forest closest to my home.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#356 | Posted: 19 Aug 2021 19:58 | Edited by: Jurre 
Chankillo Solar Observatory and ceremonial center should have two locations:
1. Chankillo
2. Cerro Mucho Malo

Also, the name should be changed to Chankillo Archaeoastronomical Complex, as is stated on the Unesco website.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#357 | Posted: 22 Aug 2021 19:13 
The markers for Chinchorro Culture are not correct. There are two sites in Arica, and Antofagasta is not part of the WHS.

Author elsslots
Admin
#358 | Posted: 23 Aug 2021 12:45 | Edited by: elsslots 
Jurre:
The markers for Chinchorro Culture are not correct. There are two sites in Arica, and Antofagasta is not part of the WHS.

Good find. I copied it from the TWHS, but apparently, the 3rd location (Antofagasta) has been dropped/changed somewhere in the process.
See https://web.archive.org/web/20200622153230/http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/1188/

Author TaiTT
Partaker
#359 | Posted: 23 Aug 2021 20:14 | Edited by: TaiTT 
The fact that Antofagasta was previously listed always seemed weird to me so I'm glad that was just an error

Author elsslots
Admin
#360 | Posted: 24 Aug 2021 00:17 
TaiTT:
that was just an error

It might have been on purpose, not an error. Antofagasta is where the earliest remains of the Chinchorro culture have been found (source) and this example).

Page  Page 24 of 25:  « Previous  1  ...  22  23  24  25  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /
 WHS Map - the Data

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑