World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /  

WHS map

Page  Page 2 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12  13  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#16 | Posted: 28 Jul 2015 13:06 
meltwaterfalls:
Solivagant: It would be very useful to be able to get from a site to the map i.e a link on each site page to the map (presented at an appropriate level of zoom). Yes!! Once I get a grip on the coding behind this it should be feasible, likewise a map for each country page, however it is a touch beyond my skills at the moment, and I'm not sure what effect it may have on the technical aspects of this site. But certainly in an ideal world that would be great. I may need a chat with Els on some of those bits though, and I'm not technically at a stage that I can show anything on that.

I've looked into it a bit, but it seems to require a fair bit of programming which is out of my league too.
There may be workarounds available. Meltwaterfalls, can you (from within the Cartodb management tool) zoom in on a country and then click on "Embed"? Will this give a specific url (or embedded link), or will this always be the main one that I used now which shows the whole world?

On the whole, my preference for adding functionality would lie with adding the serial locations of the WHS. That way it will be so useful for travel planning.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 28 Jul 2015 13:52 
Just quickly here is a t-list map. Very rough and ready and missing lots, but it is a place to start from.

elsslots:
Will this give a specific url (or embedded link), or will this always be the main one that I used now which shows the whole world?

It will change the whole map unfortunately. In Google Fusion tables there is a way of giving specific links/ filters through changing the code in the link. I think it is possible, but haven't worked it out. I will keep it as something I investigate as I go along.

Author kintante
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 29 Jul 2015 05:40 
You just made my live so much easier. Thanks a lot for the T-List map! I suggest you collect the feedback for these maps for a while before you take action. otherwise you well spend a lot of time working on them :)

Italy: remove Langhe, Roero, Monferato, Mt Etna (inscribed)

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 29 Jul 2015 14:21 
:) glad to be of use. I think you are right about having time to let the glitches and feedback mount up.

I think I cracked something that may speed up the tentative list gaps, or at least to clarify where the gaps are

Author Durian
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 29 Jul 2015 20:16 
Meltwaterfalls, I found 1 big mistake (very strange this mistake also in UNESCO official map), the point of Ivory Coast's Grand Bassam is currently in the sea south of Lagos, Nigeria! Can you move the dot to the correct point, so this will make this map better than UNESCO one :)

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 30 Jul 2015 01:58 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:
Can you move the dot to the correct point, so this will make this map better than UNESCO one :)

In fact if you look at the UNESCO map for Grand Bassam as of now you will see that it has placed one of Grand Bassam's 2 locations .......... in the sea off Lagos!!!! The mistake has apparently come from UNESCO's own KML data??
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1322/multiple=1&unique_number=1919
However the 2 textual references on the UNESCO site are absolutely correct as checked on Google maps
Historic Town N5 11 45.00 W3 44 11.00
Lighthouse N5 12 18.00 W3 43 54.00

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 30 Jul 2015 03:17 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Thanks. Again another one I corrected on my own map but missed on this one. There are a few anomalies in UNESCO's data, Kutna Hora always used to be in the wrong place, even on the printed version I have on my wall.

It seems this one is a missing minus sign on the longitude. Thanks to Solivagant for providing those co-ordinates, though if it is possible for people to provide them as decimal co-ordinates those are the ones the map uses.
Decimal co-ordinates look like this: 5.2, -3.733333 (Rather than N5 11 45.00 W3 44 11.00)

If you find any other glitches like that let me know.

Author hubert
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 7 Aug 2015 12:33 
That's really a great addition, meltwaterfalls. Far better than the original map on the EHC website.
I was rather busy in the last weeks, so I may have missed some points. So, what are the priorities? Add multiple locations and/or complete the map for the T-list entries?
I'm not very experienced in creating maps, but I have the co-ordinates of T-list sites that I've visited or plan to visit. It would be no big deal to convert them into decimal co-ordinates. What data do you need - country, name of sites, names of multiple locations, deciamal co-ordinates? In excel format?

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 8 Aug 2015 14:42 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Thanks hubert.

I've been working on some bits in the background on the t-list and should hopefully be nearer to knowing where the gaps are. Hopefully I can crack some bits on it tomorrow.

Then what I may do is post a shared file that people will be able to fill in the gaps on, in regards to missing co-ordinates. It will just be a basic spreadsheet with the reference number, name, country and decimal co-ordinates.

I think I may be able to get something working on the multiple locations, I was struggling to think where I would get the co-ordinates from, but a new toy should hopefully sort that out.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 9 Aug 2015 14:21 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Right I have managed to update a fair few bits on the map now.
Two main things:
-I have included a layer for sites with multiple locations, I have managed to get a fair few of them done, however now is the tricky part, finding out which parts are missing.
-I have also rolled the Tentative sites map into the main one as a layer.

I have scrapped all of the multiple sites co-ordinates off of the official UNESCO website for every inscribed site. However there are some that just don't have the data on there. From looking at the gaps in the data these are site sites I know I am missing locations for (please excuse the Rumsfeldism).

Known Unknowns:
Ancient Thebes with its Necropolis
Antigua Guatemala
Archaeological Landscape of the First Coffee Plantations in the South-East of Cuba
Archaeological Site of Carthage
Architectural Ensemble of the Trinity Sergius Lavra in Sergiev Posad
Atlantic Forest South-East Reserves
Bagrati Cathedral and Gelati Monastery
Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System
Buddhist Ruins of Takht-i-Bahi and Neighbouring City Remains at Sahr-i-Bahlol
Caves of Aggtelek Karst and Slovak Karst
Central Amazon Conservation Complex
Churches of Chiloé
Cliff of Bandiagara (Land of the Dogons)
Complex of Hué Monuments
Cultural Sites of Al Ain (Hafit, Hili, Bidaa Bint Saud and Oases Areas)
Dazu Rock Carvings
Discovery Coast Atlantic Forest Reserves
Ferrara, City of the Renaissance, and its Po Delta
Fort and Shalamar Gardens in Lahore
Forts and Castles, Volta, Greater Accra, Central and Western Regions
Frontiers of the Roman Empire
Gardens and Castle at Kroměříž
Gochang, Hwasun and Ganghwa Dolmen Sites
Gondwana Rainforests of Australia
Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram
Gyeongju Historic Areas
Historic Areas of Istanbul
Historic Cairo
Historic Centre of Saint Petersburg and Related Groups of Monuments
Historic Ensemble of the Potala Palace, Lhasa
Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto (Kyoto, Uji and Otsu Cities)
Historic Monuments of Novgorod and Surroundings
Historical Monuments of Mtskheta
Imperial Palaces of the Ming and Qing Dynasties in Beijing and Shenyang
Islands and Protected Areas of the Gulf of California
Jesuit Missions of the Chiquitos
Jewish Quarter and St Procopius' Basilica in Třebíč
Kiev: Saint-Sophia Cathedral and Related Monastic Buildings, Kiev-Pechersk Lavra
Kunta Kinteh Island and Related Sites
Kutná Hora: Historical Town Centre with the Church of St Barbara and the Cathedral of Our Lady at Sedlec
Landscape of the Pico Island Vineyard Culture
Luther Memorials in Eisleben and Wittenberg
Medina of Essaouira (formerly Mogador)
Medina of Fez
Memphis and its Necropolis – the Pyramid Fields from Giza to Dahshur
Miguasha National Park
Minaret and Archaeological Remains of Jam
Monasteries of Haghpat and Sanahin
M'Zab Valley
Nubian Monuments from Abu Simbel to Philae
Ogasawara Islands
Olympic National Park
Prehistoric Rock Art Sites in the Côa Valley and Siega Verde
Residences of the Royal House of Savoy
Rila Monastery
Rock Art of the Mediterranean Basin on the Iberian Peninsula
Rock Drawings in Valcamonica
Salonga National Park
Samarra Archaeological City
Socotra Archipelago
State Historical and Cultural Park "Ancient Merv"
Taxila
The <I>Trulli</I> of Alberobello
The Sundarbans
Three Castles, Defensive Wall and Ramparts of the Market-Town of Bellinzona
Tongariro National Park
Tropical Rainforest Heritage of Sumatra
Ujung Kulon National Park
White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal
Xanthos-Letoon

I will post up a sheet with the sites that are missing and if people are keen to starting to populate them then we can get cracking.

I should hopefully have an updated version of the Tentative list map on there soon, but at the moment it is just the original one with it various errors.

Additionally I have put a link to a Satellite Map version of the whole thing, as sometimes that can be more useful/ interesting.

Author elsslots
Admin
#26 | Posted: 9 Aug 2015 14:28 
meltwaterfalls:
Right I have managed to update a fair few bits on the map now.

Wow! That's a Sunday well spent. Look at the ring around Amsterdam (Defense line of Amsterdam).

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 9 Aug 2015 16:17 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Great.
Your use of optional layers to show Inscribed/T List and single or multiple looks to be an excellent way to do it!!!

Leaving aside gaps/errors re individual sites there might still be a few issues re the overall design -
a. If one switches off ALL the layers and then switches on "T List" alone one gets both single and multiple locations (even though it hasn't been asked for). If one then switches on "Multiple locations" (but NOT "Inscribed") then I think that ALL Inscribed sites having a multiple location also appear.
b As I understand it T List sites don't actually show whether they are Cultural, Natural, Mixed ?? Only whether they are single or mulitple?? But there is a "legend" for T List type of site? I am not quite sure how to solve this and keep the 2 colours for T List single and multiple - does it add anything much? Why treat them differently from Inscribed sites? I guess it avoids the problem of having to choose 1 site from many - whereas UNESCO solve that for us on inscribed sites by arbitrarily choosing 1 location as the "main" one.

PS I just happen to have been looking at the Belgian WWI T List site ready for next week's trip to NL/Fr/Bel and I see it has only 1 location on the map. In fact it is multiple (and how!) -as is the French one whose "blue dot" I haven't yet been able to make out.
The T List entries on the UNESCO web site have the coordinates of all the locations -though i fear not in your required format!!

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 9 Aug 2015 18:14 
elsslots:
That's a Sunday well spent.

Fortunately the Australian cricket team obliged in freeing up my day, so I managed to get a fair bit done. I also liked the line of sites on Hadrian's Wall.

To pick up on some of Solivigant's points
Switching between layers seems to have its quirks, it is somewhat out of my hands but I have fixed a few bugs.
The next update of the t-list layer will have the Cultural, Natural, Mixed color coding, the current one (multiple/ single) was partially for my own info in mapping and partially because I didn't have the Cul, Nat, Mix breakdown available, I do now though.
The Belgian WWI sites was one of the earliest ties I did and I only plotted a single location. The French one isn't on there at all at the moment. It is still a very limited selection based on my own mapping and from a few years ago. The next update should hopefully bring it unto date, but still with large gaps in it. That will be the biggest task, filling in the missing t-list data.

Glad you are finding it useful, it is helping me out a fair bit as well.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 10 Aug 2015 09:01 
Solivagant:
PS I just happen to have been looking at the Belgian WWI T List site ready for next week's trip to NL/Fr/Bel and I see it has only 1 location on the map. In fact it is multiple (and how!) -as is the French one whose "blue dot" I haven't yet been able to make out.

As it will be of some use in planning, and the co-ordinates are in a usable format, here are the French and Belgian First World War sites. They will all be incorporated into the future T-list update.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 10 Aug 2015 09:47 
meltwaterfalls:
As it will be of some use in planning,

Thanks very much - looking forward to meeting up in just under a fortnight!

Page  Page 2 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /
 WHS map

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑