World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /  

WHS map

Page  Page 11 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next »

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#151 | Posted: 3 Oct 2015 08:19 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Due to the problems with the server performance Els and I decided to host the map for the time being on my server. You can find the stable version here:

https://whs.mungard.de/stable/map.php

Some fun things I added:
* The multi level menus are gone. There are just multiple search fields with drop downs.
* You can link to whatever search result you see. Simply right click on the top right icon in dark blue showing the current search.

Example:
* See Els visited sites:
https://whs.mungard.de/stable/map.php?name=Els%20Slots&id=users-1&data_id=1&user_mode = 1&zoom_mode=0&focus_mode=1

* See Belgium with all locations included:
https://whs.mungard.de/stable/map.php?name=Belgium&id=countries-10&data_id=1&user_mod e=1&zoom_mode=1&focus_mode=1

Please let me know if you find any incidents. Data issues belong in the other threat.

Disclaimer: Running the map for all sites and locations can be really resource intensive.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#152 | Posted: 3 Oct 2015 08:20 | Edited by: nfmungard 

Author clyde
Partaker
#153 | Posted: 6 Oct 2015 05:31 
I understand that works are still in progress but how far away are we from having the possibility of viewing the map per user (i.e. like Els' example) ? Keep up the great work :)

Author clyde
Partaker
#154 | Posted: 6 Oct 2015 05:37 
WOW! It's already there! My bad. I had problems accessing it with my ipad and I didn't notice the options tab! This is great! Well done!

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#155 | Posted: 6 Oct 2015 06:44 
clyde:
I had problems accessing it with my ipad and I didn't notice the options tab!

I hope this is solved? If the mobile view isn't working, please send me a pic.

Small caveat I forgot to mention: The visited site data is static. I will align with Els when she is back on how to regularly update the visited sites.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#156 | Posted: 9 Oct 2015 03:54 
Have just got back and had the chance to "play" with this on a lap top rather than a smart phone - confirms all my hopes. Pretty easy to deal with and response as currently hosted is ok.
Have already found the "Missing by individual" feature incredibly helpful for discovering clusters of such sites and thus an easy entry point to planning future trips!!

A couple of Qs.
a. What is the longer term view of provision of this "service" by Els and Nan? Particulary regarding the performance issues on Els's current hosting service and Nan's taking on that role pro tem. If it is likely to "disappear" I had better do a series of web snips of all my missing sites by region pdq!!
b. Whilst some of the search features don't change much others really need a regular update mechanism for data changes - particularly the visited/unvisited sites by individual. Has such a regular update been set up yet? At what periodicity?

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#157 | Posted: 9 Oct 2015 04:38 
On a trip myself. Els and I did discuss a bit hoe to oroceed and we may do a larger change with the site and the hosting. In any case mqp is going map is staying and we will refresh the visited sites regularly ;)

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#158 | Posted: 12 Oct 2015 07:59 
I'm sorry I haven't engaged anywhere near as much as I was planning to on here (offline life getting in the way it seems).

I think it looks really promising, and each iteration brings improvements, well done nfmungard.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#159 | Posted: 2 Mar 2016 05:53 
What is the "Situation" regarding the "Map" now??
The version hosted by nfmungard doesn't seem to be working now?
It would be a great shame to "lose" it after all the work done on presentation and data.

Author elsslots
Admin
#160 | Posted: 2 Mar 2016 05:57 
Solivagant:
What is the "Situation" regarding the "Map" now??

We need a better database server to run it. I do agree that it would be a shame to lose the concept.
I'll give it more prio to search for a solution with (or without) my hosting provider.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#161 | Posted: 2 Mar 2016 13:10 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Meltwaterfalls - please remind me.
What is the source of the locations being used for "your" version of the map currently reached via the "Map" tab on this Web site?
In July/Aug/Sept 2015 we spent a lot of time identifying and correcting UNESCO locations and filling missing gaps (particularly at the "location" level - the changes are recorded in many of the posts under this topic and the associated one for "map data"). These were all put onto a comprehensive spreadsheet maintained by nfmungard. This was then used to create the map which ultimately proved too "voracious" for Els's hosting service!
Does your data incorporate all these changes -and if not then what is the basis of "your" data - "UNESCO as is"? "UNESCO with some improvements? Or what??
If "your" map doesn't include all the changes registered as a result of our update work on nfmungard's spreadsheet is it "difficult" to update your version with the "best" data from that spreadsheet?
I am also not sure how much we still had to do to "complete" our trawl through the location data on nfmungard's spreadsheet - Does nfmungard recall where we had got to??
Thanks!

Author elsslots
Admin
#162 | Posted: 3 Mar 2016 00:04 
You can now find it again at http://www.worldheritagesite.org/map
I've had it migrated to a different server with the same hosting provider yesterday.
Only the filter by Travellers does not seem to work, but the rest is OK I think

N.B. for nfmungard - this is the hardcoded version, not the version that gets live data from the database

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#163 | Posted: 3 Mar 2016 04:46 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
The locations of the original map was mostly taken from the official UNESCO website via the Excel file on their website. That was enhanced by some of my own work in correcting obvious mistakes, filling gaps. Then I posted it here and we filled in some of the other gaps, I've incorporated some but not all of those corrections, as we then switched focus over to nfmungard's approach. The files that formed the basis of his approach incorporated all of the corrections we posted (from what I recall anyway, sadly my masterfile detailing it was on a laptop that was stolen).

My intention was to go back and incorporate all of our updates and highlight for any gaps, alas events got in the way and then I lost a chunk of work during the aforementioned pilfering.

I'm still planning to get back and update the current file as I find it really useful to use, but it isn't as tailorable and 'live' as nfmungard's suggestion.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#164 | Posted: 3 Mar 2016 04:55 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Els, that link to the brought up a version with no sites on it when I clicked on it, now the main site seems to be down not sure if there is any relationship.

==Seems to be working now==

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#165 | Posted: 6 Mar 2016 06:37 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
Although it unfortunately still does not perform fast enough to run the maps dynamically (we'll discuss more on that at the map forum post),

I don't know how "valuable" dynamic maps are to us/to Els compared with the "hard coded version"? If the 2 alternatives deliver approximately the same result then it seems primarily a technical/management issue to choose between them.

I don't know about other members of the Community but I personally find the visited/not visited by traveller a very "nice" feature with the latter view in particular helping with planning trips so, the fact that this feature alone doesn't seem to be working is a disappointment. A few thoughts. The list of names to select from is incredibly long - is the size of this list causing problems?? Even if it doesn't cause performance problems it creates a ridiculously long drop down (especially for those of us with names at the end of the alphabet!!) I am reluctant to suggest making features available to members of the "community" on the basis of how much travelling they have done as we have never previously discriminated on this basis, but many of these names possibly only created their profile, looked once and have never looked at the site again!! We need some way of reducing/managing this list! Do you keep a date of "last log in"Els?? If so then it might be an idea to limit this feature to "active members" based on some period since last log-in which keeps the list to manageable proportions. Alternatively (or "as well") introduce an alpha selection first along the lines of the 2 stage selection of countries from within regions?

Page  Page 11 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /
 WHS map

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑