World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /  

WHS map

Page  Page 10 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  13  Next »

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#136 | Posted: 10 Sep 2015 05:59 
Solivagant:
Melwaterfalls was able to produce a fully functioning map embedded into the map page using solely the spreadsheet we have developed.

I think he had to do a few conversion steps himself.

Solivagant:
Do I take it that the mapping technology base you are using plus the considerable extra functionality you have developed means that the spreadsheet you have is not by itself enough to enable the functionality to work?

Spreadsheet is mapped to SQLs and then inserted into database. It's really not a lot of code and pretty normal.

Solivagant:
If this requires too much embedding work at the moment could you not change your link version to use the full as is spreadsheet site/location data??

I have all the data from the spreadsheet. I dont have all the data from Els. And that's why the functionality is limited.

I plan to have an update option directly on the page, btw.

Author Jarek Pokr
Partaker
#137 | Posted: 10 Sep 2015 07:18 
Excellent job done!!! The map is very helpful and precise. Just small remarks - maybe they will be helpful to improve some locations.

Three Parallel Rivers of Yunnan Protected Areas - it is for sure not one point. Official description from http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1083/ decribes the site as natural serial property consisting of 15 protected areas, grouped into eight clusters. I remember while visiting Potatso (Pudacao) National Park that maps were not precise but maybe it is better to utilise the map from official dossier (page 12) http://whc.unesco.org/uploads/nominations/1083.pdf

Los Glaciares National Park covers relatively big area starting from Fitz Roy Mountain (without the summit) further south to Lago Viedma, Lago Argentino and up to Chilean border (Lago Frias) - maybe for big national parks it will be better to show park boundaries ? Around the area of Fitz Roy there is also unknown border line (to the right of Fitz Roy summit). Real country border should be to the left.

Shilin Stone Forest (the most visited part of South China Karst) is located relatively close to Kunming https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shilin,+Kunming,+Yunnan,+Chiny/@24.7508868,103.4171 734,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x36d01a523b68c991:0x6cd343b9b65de726

Ischigualasto National Park is located to the south of Talampaya NP. (should be 2 locations).

Also Atlantic Forest South-East Reserves is not one location as there are number of national parks and reserves. Maybe there will be possible to take exact coordinates from unesco website ? http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/893/multiple=1&unique_number=1045

As far as I know Bolivian site Jesuit Missions of the Chiquitos consist of 6 locations
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/529/multiple=1&unique_number=619

Anyway I am more than impressed for the effort done. This map is much, much better than official one on UNESCO website. And more helpful for planning further trips ...

Author Jarek Pokr
Partaker
#138 | Posted: 14 Sep 2015 16:43 
And The Garrison Border Town of Elvas and its Fortifications (Portugal) is certainly not located in the middle of Mediterranean Sea (close to Sardinia)

As for Asante sites - maybe it is better to utilise a map I got from Ghana Museums & Monuments Board ? Its locatations are quite precise ...http://www.worldheritagesite.org/sites/locationasante.jpg

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#139 | Posted: 15 Sep 2015 01:49 
Jarek Pokr:
As for Asante sites - maybe it is better to utilise a map I got from Ghana Museums & Monuments Board

Interesting that they only show 10 sites - I think we can definitely decide now that there are only 10 even though more were originally inscribed. But, in all honesty, having spent an afternoon trying to establish the 6 point coordinates of these sites on Google maps I don't think what is basically still a sketch map (which unfortunately doesn't identify its pointers by name) will help to improve on those - other than to inform a "guess" for the ones I gave up on. I used a range of factors to locate the locations - such as articles describing how to get there referring to the location of streets and crossroads as well as satellite views. It could be also be worth doing a general double check - e.g on how many are NE of the city, how many are further out in each direction etc. But we don't yet have access to a map based on the latest coordinate file do we???

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#140 | Posted: 15 Sep 2015 06:30 
Solivagant:
But we don't yet have access to a map based on the latest coordinate file do we???

I may hopefully get a moment to update the original map later today.

I was hoping to focus some time on this the weekend just gone, alas my laptop was not playing ball (bad enough that the last couple of days I've been hunting up and down Tottenham Court Road looking for a new one).

I think Nan's Google based map is great and the versatility makes it the obvious way to go forward, though whilst the kinks are being ironed out I will fill in the data on the current version.

Author elsslots
Admin
#141 | Posted: 15 Sep 2015 06:37 
Nan is working on the last features of the Google Maps implementation, and then will sent the files to me. I will then integrate them into the website, hopefully before I leave for Myanmar on Sept 25.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#142 | Posted: 16 Sep 2015 02:45 
Ah... Starting to feel like work with deadlines and stuff ;) Aiming for Sunday delivery.

Features to be implemented:
* Menu Groupings: The lists are a bit too long to be manageable.
** Group Connections by Meta Tag (Lvl1: Architecture, Construction, Lvl2: Architecture\Art Deco).
** Group Sites by Countries (Lvl1: Belgium, Germany, Lvl2: Belgium\Belfries).
* Show missing sites instead of included sites for users.
* Additional options on locations: Show All, Show Never, Show Dynamic.
* Highlight and show all locations of site if single location clicked.

Data missing:
* Full inscribed list -> Should be solved when map is hosted by Els.
* Tentative sites -> Took them out as data quality really poor.

Future Plans:
* Nicer layout
* Edit locations directly on map.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#143 | Posted: 16 Sep 2015 04:54 
nfmungard:
* Tentative sites -> Took them out as data quality really poor.

Is that the data from my map? What was so bad with the ones that we had data for?
Or is this the ones from UNESCO directly, if so I have a long overdue update on some data I have worked on from them, again it may have to wait for the weekend as other bits have become a little more pressing.

Overall I really like the versatility of your map, really is good and a very useful tool to tie in with the vast amounts of user generated data that this website has generated.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#144 | Posted: 16 Sep 2015 11:24 
meltwaterfalls

I had only partial data from Els. And only the corrected real WHS data. I haven't made an effort (yet) to transform your data.

In Els' data model tentative sites are in the same table, but use future inscription dates. Makes it a bit hard to navigate.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#145 | Posted: 16 Sep 2015 17:22 
The search options are now implemented:
* Visitors: Sites visited / not visited (for most of us a rather depressing feature).
* Locations: Always, Zoom, Never.

It's a bit ugly. But well. Working on a deadline.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#146 | Posted: 20 Sep 2015 17:33 
New version is live:

https://whs.mungard.de/map2.php?id=countries-10

Features:
* Better layout (bootstrap)
* Better data management (local data to reduce network traffic)
* Descriptions improved (only one description, links to this site, ...)
* Highlights when mouse over icon.
* Went back to using first letter of site for icons.
* Direct links to results.
* More filter options.
* Zoom works better and is optional.

Enjoy.

Author elsslots
Admin
#147 | Posted: 21 Sep 2015 06:45 
I really love it, Nan. Can't wait to see how it looks when fully integrated with the data in my database.

Author hubert
Partaker
#148 | Posted: 24 Sep 2015 02:11 
Absolutely great, I love it. There are so many features, even the connections are shown. I like that all serial sites are highlighted when you move the cursor to one of them.
Many thanks to Nan for this enormous amount of work, and to meltwaterfalls and all others who contributed.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#149 | Posted: 24 Sep 2015 02:58 
Not quite as great as hoped. The server seems to have severe performance issues due to the volume of data shared.

Author elsslots
Admin
#150 | Posted: 24 Sep 2015 02:59 
I took it down for now, as it might create issues with the server

Page  Page 10 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  13  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /
 WHS map

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑