World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /  

online maps of tentative list and whs that consist of more sites

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 15 Jul 2015 09:43 
Solivagant:
Stretch my imagination please - why might I want/need to find the area of a polygon on Google Earth -what aren't I using it for which I should be!!

Yep, perhaps not one of the things that will be of use everyday. But it is handy for finding the footprint of areas that aren't already measured. For example you could draw a Polygon around your own house/ garden and find out how big that is. Check how big is the Historic Centre of Olomouc? (0.62km). I use it for working out the size of UK Lottery Funded Landscape Partnership projects. It is just a quick way of doing that.

For WHS purposes it is slightly redundant as the area is fairly well documented anyway. But it can be useful when woorking out what bits of new sites are actually included and which aren't like with the Beijing section of the Grand Canal last year.

One of the others tools that I like using is: View-> Historic Imagery. useful in seeing how things have or haven't changed over the last 20 years or so. Though in the UK and Germany there are some areas/ cities that have Black and White Aerial photos from the mid 40s.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /
 online maps of tentative list and whs that consist of more sites

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑