World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /  

online maps of tentative list and whs that consist of more sites

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 26 Jul 2011 06:44 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
elsslots:
I am a bit worried about when to count it a visit

In Switzerland the reconstruction in Gletterens, may be a compromise option. It is on the other side of the lake from Neuchatel, so harder to get to by public transport. It has a few reconstructed houses. However it is about 200m from the lake shore where there is a batch of remains (all under water), so if you wanted to see an exhibit along with the actual patch of water over the top of the remains this would be a good place.

In Germany the Pfahlbaumuseum at Uhldingen-Mühlhofen is probably the best site to see it. The reconstructions seem more extensive and again there is a patch of remains just off the coast. It seems to be just the other side of the marina but I am not sure how precise the co-ordinates are. The water near the shore is pretty clear there on Google Earth, there is something that looks squareish, but I think that may just be a natural grouping of weed rather than an archaeological site of Outstanding Universal Value :)

I haven't looked at Austria, France, Italy or Slovenia yet.

Author elsslots
Admin
#32 | Posted: 27 Jul 2011 13:14 
This one might be a possibility: Auvernier - Les Graviers
A little south of Neuchatel. It is now a car park!!!

Author joycevs
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 27 Jul 2011 14:52 
Please let us know what you found (I guess I'll find the update on your website)...

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 3 Jun 2012 18:34 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
re: Pile Dwellings in the Alps

I was just looking around at some potential destinations and decided to try and get to the bottom of the Pile Dwelling visits.

I think I have come across somewhere that has visible remains(perhaps depending on water level) and a museum: Molina di Ledro museum.

There are also a few other reasons to visit the area as there are several WHS as well as the charms of Lake Garda.

Seems slightly more tempting than the ploughed field south of Ljubljana that is was investigating.

Edit: Just read the reviews on the site. It seems Hubert beat me to it and has already visited them, so Vielen Dank for the info and review sorry I missed it initially. Though I would certainly count it as a visited site if I was in your shoes, there aren't going to be many better examples.

Seems I may head to that Slovenian field instead :)

Author hubert
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 4 Jun 2012 05:32 
meltwaterfalls:
I would certainly count it as a visited site if I was in your shoes, there aren't going to be many better examples.

You're right, I think. The sites in Molina di Ledro and Fiave are probably the only ones where you can see remains of the original piles. And the site of Lac de Chalain as shown on the Unesco website:

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1363

I always hesitate to tick off serial nominations, when I have only seen a few parts. Or sites that I visited years before I came across the WH list and where I feel I've missed something important. Therefore, I have an unsatisfying list of "half or almost visited" sites. But I think that's an old discussion in this forum: "Does this one count?"

A few weeks ago I visited the museum in Unteruhldingen/Lake Konstanz. There are reconstructions of about 20 houses (three settlements with different types of pile dwellings).

http://www.pfahlbauten.com/

It was quite interresting, there are also reconstructions of tools and other equipment. The guided tour gave a good impression of the supposed living conditions. Our guide told us, that at least at the German and Swiss sites there is nothing visible from the original remains. They are either under water or were covered again after the excavation. So most places will look like an ordinary field or meadow.
The piles themselves are not the most important items, but rather the remains of the houses (such as floor boards) and tools, cooking utensils and food waste. That has been well preserved by the moor and the swamp.

There is a informative website, where you can also download a comprehensive and well designed brochure:

http://www.palafittes.org/en/products-downloads/information-brochure/index.html

Author paul
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 5 Jun 2012 07:06 
Does anybody know if the remains in the above 3 sites are always visible, only at certain times of the year or just during exceptional events like droughts.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 5 Jun 2012 08:15 
paul:
Does anybody know if the remains in the above 3 sites are always visible

I'm not really sure but I was looking at them being visible most of the time. I have seen a few of pictures on Google Earth via Panaromio that show them, and Hubert's pictures have them. The grass levels at the side of the bank seem to show the water is not at a particularly low level, so hopefully you can see them regularly.

Author hubert
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 5 Jun 2012 10:02 
paul:
Does anybody know if the remains in the above 3 sites are always visible

In Molina di Ledro, the piles are directly at the shore of the lake. I visited the site in August and the water level seemed to be fairly constant. But maybe in spring after the snow melts it is higher and the piles are under water.
The site in Fiave is more impressive, at least there are more piles. It is a rather flat wetland, so I suppose that they are always visible. Prior to my visit last year I found a website with some sparse information. According to that, the area is regularly flooded to protect the site.
However, you should not expect too much. Actually, the photo in my review shows everything that can be seen.

Author paul
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 7 Jun 2012 03:38 
Thanks hubert & meltwaterfalls, I now have to find a suitable date to drive the 1000km to see a few semi-submerged foundation piles.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 7 Jun 2012 05:21 
paul:
I now have to find a suitable date to drive the 1000km to see a few semi-submerged foundation piles.

Ah the glories of hunting World Heritage Sites, enjoy :)

Author joycevs
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 18 Jun 2014 09:32 
The file at http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/kml seems to be empty. Can anybody post a working file?

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 18 Jun 2014 09:48 
joycevs:
The file at http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/kml seems to be empty. Can anybody post a working file?

I've been having problems with it too over the last few weeks (though I think it is an issue with my computer).

Perhaps they are getting ready to update it, it hasn't been done since 2011.

I'm in the process of creating something from it, but it is proving a little tougher than I had anticipated and I don't really have much to show thus far, also there is a bit of a distraction happening in Brazil at the moment.

Will let you know if I come across anything of use.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 13 Jul 2015 12:25 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Meltwaterfalls - you are the undoubted "expert" on Google Earth. (or anyone else please!!)
Please help me - despite being an occasional user over the years my knowledge is very limited!!.
Today NFMungard said
nfmungard:
Just did my private calculation today and noticed that there are no WHS in a 500km radius left

That got me thinking and I am very pleased to discover that "Circle Generators" are downloadable from the Web which generate circles of any size either from one's home town or from the centre of anywhere on the Earth in Google Earth - Great!! I can now see easily all WHS within 1000kms (or whatever) of home or any other centre point I choose.
But - next thought - my WHS list on Google Earth (stored in "My Places") isn't up to date. I have realised that of course all my previously downloaded KML files are out of date. Both for WHS and T Lists - with or without individual locations.
I see there is a feature called "Network Links" of which I was previously unaware which doesn't actually download the files to ones own machine but links to them when one needs them - hence they will be up to date (assuming of course that the owner does so!!)
I presume that all the T List and sub-site work you did is only downloadable and not "Network linkable"??
Do you use this feature for your WHS maps?? If so which links do you use?
What is the "update status" of all the WHS related KML files you produced - and where are the latest ones?
My ideal would be to have Network Links to sources of fully detailed (i.e by location within site) of all inscribed and T List sites.
Have I misunderstood something?

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 15 Jul 2015 07:34 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Hi Solivagant.

First off those circle generators are available form websites, and very handy they are too. However there is an even simpler solution, they are a standard part of Google Earth Pro, which became free to use in January this year, so is well worth upgrading to. There are a fair few other little add on that come in useful, finding the area of a polygon for example. All things that were available on third party websites anyway, but useful to have in one place.

The official whc .kml file works as a network link so should update when they update they update the points themselves. Though older versions didn't if I remember right, and that may well be the version you have.
They don't have the 2015 sites on there yet. Last year they were very quick at adding them in, however the 2012 and 2013 ones weren't added until the 2014 update was carried out.

My t-list one isn't a network link, though it seems I may be able to create one, not that I have updated that file for a long time. However if people use it and are interested I may look at updating it. The main problem is that Google Earth is rather cumbersome and longwinded when it comes to data management. So my aims at rationalising the t-list file have just caused frustration.

This is the T-list file as of 15/07/2015. It will probably take you to a blank map, but there is a down arrow in the top right hand corner, this should allow you to download the full file. Google is getting more and more restrictive on the amount of map points it allows.

It is out of date and incomplete. It is a little like painting the Forth Bridge keeping up with the t-list though. If people use this and are interested I will have a go at updating it if I get a chance over the summer.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 15 Jul 2015 07:47 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
There are a fair few other little add on that come in useful, finding the area of a polygon for example.

Thanks for that - I will update all my Google Earth related apps and files as per your links!!
Stretch my imagination please - why might I want/need to find the area of a polygon on Google Earth -what aren't I using it for which I should be!!
Are there any other features the average user might find of use which you can recommend - it seems to be a case of not knowing that one doesn't know!
One Q occurs to me - is there any way to turn on/off the titles of the WHS - they really are excessively large and dominate e.g a map of Europe when really just the logo plus a "mouse over" or "click for detail" would be enough. As far as I can see the layers feature for titles only works on basic Google Earth aspects like town names etc rather than on the details of any specific kml file?

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /
 online maps of tentative list and whs that consist of more sites

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑