World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /  

online maps of tentative list and whs that consist of more sites

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 20 Jul 2011 12:47 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Great work meltwaterfalls.
Am I missing something - but i don't seem to be getting a point marker and "title" on the map for the selected site unless there happens to be one already in Google Earth. Should there be such titles for the download (The UNESCO one uses the WHS logo of course)? On some sites it is uncertain as to exactly where on the map they are even in "zoom".

Where are "instructions" on Google Earth as to how to set up a file?

Author joycevs
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 20 Jul 2011 14:16 
Awesome work Meltwaterfalls!

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 21 Jul 2011 04:51 
Solivagant:
Am I missing something - but i don't seem to be getting a point marker and "title" on the map for the selected site unless there happens to be one already in Google Earth. Should there be such titles for the download (The UNESCO one uses the WHS logo of course)? On some sites it is uncertain as to exactly where on the map they are even in "zoom".

I think that may be a bit of a problem with the set up of Google Earth on your computer as it should have a little green WHS symbol and title for every T- site.
Unless everyone else is getting the same problem of course in which case I may have to have a look to see if there is some other way it can be set up.

Here is the google advice on saving Place Data:
http://earth.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=guide.cs&guide=22364&topic=22368&a nswer=148149

and this one has details about saving bits as .kmz projects:
http://earth.google.com/outreach/tutorial_kmz.html

But feel free to give me a shout if that doesn't answer all your needs

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 21 Jul 2011 12:08 
Thanks meltwater falls - the problem was only on "your" download file so I wonered if that was the reason. I will have to check all the settings I have on your file but am limited to my iPod for a few days (am not even sure if I can operate Google Earth on it!) so trying out alternatives will have to wait.

Author joycevs
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 21 Jul 2011 16:05 
On my laptop I can see the titles and the green logos. It's working very well :-)

Btw, just decided to go to Switzerland in two weeks (Els, the first review of the Prehistoric Pile Dwellings around the Alps is on the way!) so I wouldn't mind having the tentative sites for Switzerland added *wink*

Author joycevs
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 21 Jul 2011 17:09 
uhm nevermind, there's only one in Switzerland (Els, you still have two on your site).
Fortunately The Villa Jeanneret-Perret (Maison blanche) in La Chaux-de-Fonds is already located in a village that's on the list (and hometown of Le Corbusier). It'll make a nice addition to the Villa Savoye that I visited recently :)

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 21 Jul 2011 18:03 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
joycevs:
so I wouldn't mind having the tentative sites for Switzerland added *wink*

Actually I just did the Swiss ones today, but as you say there is only 1 site, nice and easy to tick a country off :)

There are two Le Corbu Villas in La Chaux- de Fonds the other is Villa Schwab aka Villa Turque, which from the station is in the general direction of Maison Blanche, so you can even swing by there for a quick photo if you wanted to.

Enjoy your trip.

Author Walter
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 22 Jul 2011 17:07 
For Joycebs,
www.palafittes.org
On downloads, the nomination files are available, with detailed maps of all the sites.
Also on Apple store, a free application with audio guide of the swiss sites, in french, german or english. Also available from www.texetera.ch.

Author elsslots
Admin
#24 | Posted: 25 Jul 2011 02:33 
joycevs:
(Els, the first review of the Prehistoric Pile Dwellings around the Alps is on the way!)

Have you found a place in Switzerland where you actually can see remains of the pile dwellings? I'll be going to Geneva / Neuchatel next week. There are several related museums in the area of Lake Neuchatel, but I think all the remains are hidden under water there.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 25 Jul 2011 11:40 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I think the Latenium museum near Neuchatel actually has some remains on display, see the picture here:
http://www.latenium.ch/#latenium2?id=2
or a picture from the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Latenium_mg_2215.jpg

ANd there are also dolmens and stones in the archaeological park as well.

It is en-route between La Chaux-de-Fonds and Berne, and there is apparently a free boat to the museum from Neuchatel pier.

Author elsslots
Admin
#26 | Posted: 25 Jul 2011 11:56 | Edited by: elsslots 
meltwaterfalls:
a picture from the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Latenium_mg_2215.jpg

nice picture, I guess it is a reconstruction?
I am a bit worried about when to count it a visit

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#27 | Posted: 25 Jul 2011 12:00 
meltwaterfalls:
I think the Latenium museum near Neuchatel actually has some remains on display

I take that back, according to the UNESCO site they are not actually part of the WHS, I wonder why, they seem like they are still in situ, just drained for display (or else it would seem a slighly odd thing to recreate)

Author elsslots
Admin
#28 | Posted: 25 Jul 2011 12:05 
meltwaterfalls:
slighly odd thing to recreate)

I am fairly sure it's a reconstruction, the website in German and French hints at that (the whole outdoor part of the museum is a construction)

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 25 Jul 2011 12:35 
elsslots:
the whole outdoor part of the museum is a construction

fair enough, seems like a very underwhelming spectacle though. I can understand reconstructing the pile dwellings, but reconstructing the remains as they look now seems a little odd.

Oh well

Author joycevs
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 25 Jul 2011 16:06 
I have been doing some research for the upcoming trip to Switzerland and the pile dwellings WHS is quite dissapointing when it comes to visiting. The statement on the Palafittes website posted by Walter says enough:

"The sites are actually invisible as they are either located under water or covered by layers of sediment on dry land. This basically impedes the presentation of the original cultural goods.
Numerous special exhibitions, museums, private collections and archaeological parks, however, exhibit finds and show reconstructions of wetland settlements that excellently convey the extraordinary value of prehistoric pile dwellings."

and

"After all, the pile dwellings cannot be seen?
It is really quite irrelevant to the UNESCO label, whether an object is visible or not. In fact, the pile dwelling sites would be the first world heritage sites submerged in water, which increases the chances of a successful candidature.
While it is important to promote public awareness of pile dwelling sites as a cultural heritage, for instance in museums, the scientific potential of the pile dwellings and their significance with regard to our history and culture are more important than ideal marketing opportunities."

I was planning on visiting the Laténium (looks like the only resonable place in Switzerland on this subject), the nearby menhirs at Corcelles-près-Concise (okay, no pile dwellings, but at least something original to see), maybe the Historisches Museum im Schloss Arbon and the Pfahlbaumuseum at Uhldingen-Mühlhofen (Germany).

For as far as I found out you're not able to see original piles (although they suggest it on pictures on the website with shine-through lakes, but apperently that's not possible to see as an ordinary visitor), but some museums have original artifcats so I guess it still counts as a visit ;-)
Most museums (including Laténium Els) listed on the website also show the travelling exhibition "Der See erzählt"

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
How do I get to visit Aldabra? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / How do I get to visit Aldabra? /
 online maps of tentative list and whs that consist of more sites

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑