World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2023 Extraordinary session WHC Livestream

Page  Page 3 of 12:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11  12  Next »

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:39 
elsslots:
a 2/3 majority

2/3rd of whole WHC or of voters?

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#32 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:40 
I think a secret ballot would allow countries that don't agree to antagonize Russia to be able to vote for Odessa's listing.

Author elsslots
Admin
#33 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:42 
Solivagant:
of voters?

of voters I think

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:45 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Yes I think so too - I cant find exactly the matter in the OGs but for other things like e.g List in Danger the rules are -
"The Committee shall examine the information available and take a decision concerning the inscription of the property on the List of World Heritage in Danger. Any such decision shall be taken by a majority of two-thirds of the Committee members present and voting"

Author elsslots
Admin
#35 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:52 
We've moved on to determining the place and date of the next session.

Ethiopia asks the good question why September was chosen.

Author elsslots
Admin
#36 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:57 
elsslots:
why September was chosen.

It was to give Saudi time to prepare (as they only know now, not a year in advance)

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 06:13 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
I must admit to not being across the detail
I would have assumed there may have been a bit of Saudi quibbling as they are on the commitee and the situation in Yemen has some parralels with Ukraine. But perhaps I just have the politics of the nomination wrong in my head.

Some background to this in advance -
Saudi Arabia supports the officially recognised government of Yemen in its conflict with the Houthi Government which ousted it. As does e.g USA and UK etc.
See this for an indication of the areas controlled by each side... Marib is in the Official Government area - but close to the conflict zone. Pink = Official Gov, Green = Houthi, "Yellow" = a UAE supported group
Saudi will surely support a nomination by the official government... as long as nothing criticizes it for having damaged Marib during its bombing in support of the Official Government!!!
Russia is "friendly" with the Houthis (who are actively supported by Iran)...... but not enough to make an issue of this nomination specifically??? It would like to be a mediator in the conflict to give it an extra bit of leverage in the World!

Author elsslots
Admin
#38 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 06:26 
Long discussion about a paragraph, but it seems that Russia has wanted to sneak in by an amendment them continuing to be a Vice Chair.

Author elsslots
Admin
#39 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 06:37 | Edited by: elsslots 
India asks valid questions. I also wondered when updating the website whether Saudi is both chair and Vice-Chair at the moment.

The answer apparently is Yes. The Chair is so in personal capacity (she does not vote), the Vice-Chair represents the country.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 06:52 | Edited by: Solivagant 
As I understand it a "Russian" got to be Chair of the WHC NOT because Russia was already a Vice Chair ... but because it offered to be host of the WHC???? Correct.... or was it ALREADY a VC. If the former then... if it gives up the Chair it doesn't become a VC... In the case of Saudi it WAS a VC and continues to be so even though it also has a national who is the Chair? If the latter then Russia should continue....

Author elsslots
Admin
#41 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 06:56 
WHC bureau has no clear answers

Author elsslots
Admin
#42 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 07:03 | Edited by: elsslots 
The issue is about Russia, but also about the non-representation of "Group 2" countries when Saudi has 2 seats at the moment.

Author elsslots
Admin
#43 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 07:12 | Edited by: elsslots 
Lunch (with homework) until 3pm

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 07:19 
3 pm to 6 pm, 3 hours only to discuss 2 points which will be debated (sites in danger and sites of memories of recent conflicts). I thought that points 2 and 3 were going to be formalities, but it took time, Russia intervenes systematically!

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 07:22 
jonathanfr:
Russia intervenes systematically!

"Russia - the WHC member from Hell!"

Page  Page 3 of 12:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11  12  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2023 Extraordinary session WHC Livestream

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑