World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2023 Extraordinary session WHC Livestream

Page  Page 2 of 12:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11  12  Next »

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 04:56 
Russian methods, as usual...

Author elsslots
Admin
#17 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 04:56 
Chair Princessa Haifa is not having it.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 04:59 
Russia has only to say it frankly that it does not want to see Odessa registered, there it is hypocrisy to quibble on the agenda.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 04:59 | Edited by: Solivagant 
None of the countries supporting Russia at UNESCO is on the WHC (DPRK, Syria, Eritrea). The countries abstaining at UNESCO regarding the Russia issue were -- Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burundi, Central African Republic, China, Congo, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, India, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Madagascar, Mali, Mongolia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Senegal, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Tajikistan, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zimbabwe
So, subject to any changes in policy, only India and S Africa have, in the recent past, shown themselves as at least prepared not to openly oppose Russia

Author elsslots
Admin
#20 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:02 
jonathanfr:
there it is hypocrisy to quibble on the agenda.

But the revised agenda and the group of 3 emergency nominations suddenly brought forward seems also to have been politically motivated.

Author elsslots
Admin
#21 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:04 | Edited by: elsslots 
No support for Russia at all among the other members. The Chair needs to be more firm now.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:06 | Edited by: Solivagant 
The Russian proposal to go back on the provisional agenda and then add the Emergency Nomination items has the "difficulty" that some member of the WHC would have to take the lead and ask for the item to be added?

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:08 
A very visible demonstration of how isolated Russia has become in the World??

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:10 | Edited by: Solivagant 
So 5 WHC members - Bulgaria, Belgium, Italy, Japan and Greece have been recorded as having originally asked for the item to be added to the provisional agenda?

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:11 
I must admit to not being across the detail
I would have assumed there may have been a bit of Saudi quibbling as they are on the commitee and the situation in Yemen has some parralels with Ukraine. But perhaps I just have the politics of the nomination wrong in my head.

Author elsslots
Admin
#26 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:15 
Belgium is awake, and avoids the Russian amendment (crossing out even "All other items") being slipped in.

Author elsslots
Admin
#27 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:26 | Edited by: elsslots 
There will be a roll call vote on the revised agenda proposal by Russia. Wonder if anyone abstains? Simple majority needed.

Author elsslots
Admin
#28 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:30 | Edited by: elsslots 
Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Mali, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Rwanda, St Vincent, Saudi, South Africa, Thailand, Zambia abstain. All others No, except for Russia of course.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:31 | Edited by: Solivagant 
So, rather more countries even than abstained at UNESCO - but they are just hiding...!
The "new" ones are Nigeria, Ethiopia, Oman, Qat, Saudi , Rwan, Thailand, St Vincent and Zambia I think - none of whom want visibly to oppose Russia and are allowing other countries to do the dirty work for them!

Author elsslots
Admin
#30 | Posted: 24 Jan 2023 05:38 
Looking forward to this afternoon - I think the inscription of Odesa would need a 2/3 majority? That could become a problem.

Page  Page 2 of 12:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11  12  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2023 Extraordinary session WHC Livestream

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑