World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2020/2021 WHC Livestream

Page  Page 44 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  42  43  44  45  Next »

Author Khuft
Partaker
#646 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 06:54 
Since after the WHC is before the WHC - for next year we can look forward to:
- only 1 site from Arab States (Morocco - Aire du Dragonnier)
- only 1 site from LatAm (Guatemala - Tak'alik Ab'aj)
- 4 from Africa (2 of which are extensions)
- Some interesting / noteworthy nominations: Mt Kumgang (North Korea - first one for a while), Odzala-Kokoua NP (Rep of Congo - another country that hasn't been very active); Pu'er tea landscape (China) - maybe the first of a "tea cultural landscapes" wave, similar to the vineyards?; Persian caravanserai (another massive Iranian site). European sites sound quite minor... only Denmark's Viking sites and Talayotic Menorca sound a bit more special.

(taken from Nominations to be examined next year: https://whc.unesco.org/archive/2021/whc21-44com-inf8B3-en.pdf)

Author Khuft
Partaker
#647 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 07:03 | Edited by: Khuft 
Confusion around Gdansk - is it adjourned, or will there be a vote?
It's adjourned "sine die" - ie in limbo forever?
Confusion continues... was a decision made to adjourn? Legal counsel confused too.
Chairman Tian: It's ajourned - the decision has been taken.

Author Pavel
Partaker
#648 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 07:09 
I also missed that point... so I do not know. Hungary+Australia for secret ballot or China+Russia fo adjourned.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#649 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 07:09 
Concerning the 3 properties of Limes in Germany, I would be in favor that the lower Germanic limes be merged with that which was associated with Hadrian's Wall, and that the latter regains its independence and reappears under its own name.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#650 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 07:10 
jonathanfr:
Concerning the 3 properties of Limes in Germany, I would be in favor that the lower Germanic limes be merged with that which was associated with Hadrian's Wall, and that the latter regains its independence and reappears under its own name.

That would indeed be logical. Hadrian's wall is quite different from the Rhine limes.

Author Khuft
Partaker
#651 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 07:14 | Edited by: Khuft 
The Limes inscriptions are indeed confusing. Once they started with Rhine Limes being an extension of Hadrian's Wall, they should just have continued to extend the originial inscription (like they do with the beech forests). Then the drama with Hungary leaving the Danube nomination could have been avoided - it wouldn't matter as the Danube sites in DE, A and SK would just be extensions of one full limes site.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#652 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 07:23 
Khuft:
We could possibly expect these sessions to turn more into coronation ceremonies for sites, with all the "bad seeds" having been eliminated already before during pre-assessments / upstream process.

Thanks for that breakdown Khuft, I was actually thinkig if this was the case.

In fairness the vast majority of sites that get a Do Not Inscribe assesment withdraw, it is just the odd one or two that go on to be a little controversial.

Is Poland not running a slightly risky game with Gdansk, if they don't get a 2/3 majority in favour of deferral they will have a do not inscribe and therefore can't bring the shipyards back at a future date?

If they withdrew it they could re work and try to get a derefal in two years time?

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#653 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 08:26 
Khuft
Non European sites look interesting. Re Europe some observations.

Denmark Viking - Age Ring Fortresses
=> Hedeby is a ring fortress, too. Not sure why these should be special.

Germany - Jewish-Medieval Heritage of Erfurt
=> This is a joke. They only recently found any heritage there and now it's being turned into a WHS.

Italy - The Cultural Landscape of Civita di Bagnoregio
=> Looks nice enough. There are several hill top cities in Italy, but admittedly this one looks the most hill toppy.

Latvia - Kuldīga / Goldingen in Courland
=> Old town in Latvia. Different from Polish/Czech/Finnish/Swedish/Russina sites.

Lithuania - Modernist Kaunas: Architecture of Optimism
=> Been. Good candidate.

Portugal - The Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation Head Office and Garden
=> Been. Joke candidate.

Russian Federation - Historic center of Gorokhovets
=> Apparently, they are still reconstructing this. Not sure how authentic this would be. Also, pretty close to Golden Ring sites. Suzdal comes to mind. Not sure what this brings to the list.

Spain - Talayotic Menorca
=> Every island its WHS.

Turkey - Gordion
=> Turkey underrepresented.

Not really Europe:
France Volcans et forêts de la Montagne Pelée et des pitons du nord de la Martinique

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#654 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 08:28 
Khuft:
On the ICOMOS / IUCN bashing topic - it should be noted that the process is moving to an upstream assessment / pre-assessment of sites with potential OUV with the Advisory Bodies, followed then by actual nominations.

Generally fine to do things upstream. But looking at what comes out downstream, dont feel the upstream process is very selective/working.

Author JonasK
Partaker
#655 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 08:41 
Sorry, I didn't really understand if one has to wait for a decision about Gdansk today or if the decision is adjourned (if yes, to when?)...
Can anyone clarify for me?

Author Pavel
Partaker
#656 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 08:49 
JonasK:
Sorry, I didn't really understand if one has to wait for a decision about Gdansk today or if the decision is adjourned (if yes, to when?)...
Can anyone clarify for me?

I just made my cup of coffee at this critical point :)) I could see that Mr Tian has approved something, but I am not sure what exactly. I guess it is a secret ballot, but I will check it in the recording later on...

Author Khuft
Partaker
#657 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 08:53 
Pavel:
I just made my cup of coffee at this critical point :)) I could see that Mr Tian has approved something, but I am not sure what exactly. I guess it is a secret ballot, but I will check it in the recording later on...

No, Mr Tian has approved an adjournment "sine die" - so no decision on Gdansk.

Author Khuft
Partaker
#658 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 08:57 
Haven't been following the discussion for the last hour, but South Africa sounds very angry against Norway. "Norway has vested interests!" Wow... Where did all the nice diplomatic language go!

Author JonasK
Partaker
#659 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 09:04 
Khuft
Thank you!
So Gdansk will not be inscribed this year and nobody knows when it ever will be discussed again?

Author Khuft
Partaker
#660 | Posted: 30 Jul 2021 09:48 
JonasK:
So Gdansk will not be inscribed this year and nobody knows when it ever will be discussed again?

That's my understanding, yes...

Page  Page 44 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  42  43  44  45  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2020/2021 WHC Livestream
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑